MotoXracer is offline Associate Member

Never lose money on a car?

I've heard a couple people say that they have never lost money on a car or at least broke even on them. Of course they are not buying new cars but I can't seem to figure out a way to do it and "Work up" to nicer and nicer cars. The only person I know that did that basically lucked out and worked his way up from an Integra, to 2 911's and finally a Ferrari. This again was back in the mid 90's before ebay and stuff like that. He got his first break on a 911 when some lady's husband died and she was selling his car and didn't know how much it was worth.

But I don't see how this could happen now? The only cars that have appreciated in recent years were the last year Supras and RX-7s.

So does any one have any tips on how they do it?

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    vehicles are always losing investments imo.

real estate is the only kind of thing i would consider using your logic for.

MotoXracer is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, i know they are losing investments which is why I'm so amazed when people say they don't lose money on them. You have to find a great deal or some kind of collectors car which wouldn't depreciate that fast. Wondering if anyone knows how?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I bought my car 2 years used, put 10,000 dollars in mods in it and am still under its new price value when I bought it. But I will never get my money back out of it, i dont plan on selling it though so its not an investment for me just a hobby.

SL63 is offline Associate Member
    Toyota is one of the best for retaining value.

KZRSOIZE is offline Associate Member
    being at the right place at the right time....i bought a 911 a year ago ...it was a great deal at the time, ive put 3500 miles on it and about 5k in mods....i was browsing ebay and autotrader the other night....dam i guess ill be keeping my 911 forever..unless i wanna take a hit...and its a turbo.cars are the worst investment real estate is the way to go,..hell in some parts of the us you can buy investment prop ...cheaper than most cars....oh well...but ya your right some guys do come across great deals but you gotta have cash ready to go just in case...

sphincter is offline Member
    yeah, the 996;s took a nose dive when the 997's came out. I never lose money on cars but that is only if you discount the opportunity/use cost. I always sell the car for more than I owe or at least get out of it int oa new one (and then the new one is at invoice or better)... I am never upside down though

ow my race car and my Skyline are a different story all together... the race car has tons of money in it and will NEVER return the value.. luckily I'll never sell it teh GTR well... that's another story that Iwon't get into as it is definitely very personally identifiable to me.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    You want cars that gain value? Go get an enzo. Other than cars of this league ur sol.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    They dont need to "appreciate" to get value out of a car... if you get a good deal on a car that is used with only 10-12 thousand miles on it... it already took the new car depreciation hit and your finance is essentially a lease...you can depreciate your asset on your taxes for business purposes and you can write off your interest/insurance if your self employed... in a 60 month finance agreement you will basically have an equitable position in 3 years so here you are with a car you bought for 20k lets say.... you managed to get 10,000 in write off's or more(gas, maintenance including oil) in those 3 years saving you something to the tune of 3500 or so in taxes if self employed and when you resell that car in 3 years you gain that $500 or $1000 in equity and put it down on your next car... so in essence you spent something like 5000k over 3 years for a car or 138.89.... per month to drive a new or practically new $20,000 car... just make a wise decision on the car you purchase... just what I think they were talking about.... decreasing your actually cost of the vehicle and using its equity to move into another car

Tesla is offline Member
    I'd rather drive a beater and put my money in real estate.

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    I do think that all cars depreciate fast with time.

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    sucks

Thread Information