Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifting

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Deadlifting

I was watching videos of people deadlifting and i see that most use straps. I myself used straps in the past due to my weak grip which gave me trouble holding 200+ pounds. I finally was pissed that i needed this aid and i just lowered the weight at first and worked my way back. I have since more then doubled my deadlifting weight and guess what ? No straps at all. I can't even remember the last time i used them.

So anyway when i see them put their straps on the bar the lift itself is less impressive. Just my opinion. Thoughts ?

p.s
    I don't even use them for my 1 max either.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I have a weak grip too. Maybe ill try doing that. I use straps for bent over rows also

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    I have a weak grip too. Maybe ill try doing that. I use straps for bent over rows also
    I have to admit at first when i had to lower the weight it sucked big time but over time it worked itself out for the better.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Do you use chalk or an alternating grip?

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    I like the straps because once my grip can hold, I can still keep going.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    Do you use chalk or an alternating grip?
    I use alternating grip with chalk. I use the chalk because my hands sweat so it helps A LOT and at the same time i hate gloves.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I never tried chalk. I dont think it would help my fingers just start to open where i cant hold it. The alternating grip is uncomfortable to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by firmechicano831 View Post
    I like the straps because once my grip can hold, I can still keep going.
    But what does that say about your grip ? Shouldn't you be able to handle the weight ? I am not saying its right or wrong just saying how i see it now.

Blog Entries
    I never tried chalk. I dont think it would help my fingers just start to open where i cant hold it. The alternating grip is uncomfortable to me.
    I use to have the same problem when i had a weaker grip. The fingers open, bar slides down the hand, and boom bar lands on the floor without you getting the full effect of the lift.

Blog Entries
    I watched a video of ronnie using straps and its always like it changes his voice, really weird. You just get this effect when using straps ?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qlI-N1b-ZK8&feature=related

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    i do both. straps are nice sometimes. they really help me out on bent over rows and lat pulldowns.

With chalk your grip is incredible, but you have to use an alternating grip or you lose all the benefits of the chalk.

On that note, my experience with chalk is that I used it for about a year and got up to 500lbs with an alternating grip. Two months ago I got a bad case of sciatica and I attributed it to my use of an alternating grip. I have a theory that you pull with different muscles of your back and it becomes uneven. Since then I've switched back to straps and I've takin it slowly, but I got back up to 500lbs without hurting my lower back.

Blog Entries
    With chalk your grip is incredible, but you have to use an alternating grip or you lose all the benefits of the chalk.

On that note, my experience with chalk is that I used it for about a year and got up to 500lbs with an alternating grip. Two months ago I got a bad case of sciatica and I attributed it to my use of an alternating grip. I have a theory that you pull with different muscles of your back and it becomes uneven. Since then I've switched back to straps and I've takin it slowly, but I got back up to 500lbs without hurting my lower back.
    I never heard of that.

KZRSOIZE is offline Associate Member
    on my lighter days i dont use straps, but when im going heavy there i have no other options....500lb deads thats awesome good job bro......i cant break 360 without straps...410 with....and chalk does work amazing...the invisible straps.....

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I never heard of that.
    You don't feel like different muscles in your back are being used to pull the weight up with alternating grip?

Blog Entries
    You don't feel like different muscles in your back are being used to pull the weight up with alternating grip?
    Not at all.

Not at all.
    Do you face a mirror when you deadlift?

Blog Entries
    Do you face a mirror when you deadlift?
    I do.

Next time you deadlift pay attention to difference in postures between your two shoulders.

Blog Entries
    Next time you deadlift pay attention to difference in postures between your two shoulders.
    I try and take notice next week.

The only way i could see this happening is i guess if your pulling more with one arm maybe ?

The only way i could see this happening is i guess if your pulling more with one arm maybe ?
    It's possible, but I just avoid it altogether with straps. I actually prefer chalk over straps because I hate having red swollen wrists.

Blog Entries
    It's possible, but I just avoid it altogether with straps. I actually prefer chalk over straps because I hate having red swollen wrists.
    The sore wrist was another thing i hate about straps and over time i heavier i went with the weight the worse it got. I think at one point in my deadlifts most of the weight was pretty much supported by only my wrist which is not a good thing.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    i used to depend on straps...im currently in the process of building my grip back up...

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    Love my straps. I don’t use them for the 1st 30 min of my work out but after that my forearms get so pumped I cant hold on to anything.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    For heavy reps (over 600) I use straps. In strongman contest you can usually use straps for most deadlift events but not grip events (obviously). Straps, IMO, are essential in rep training because the muscles and tendons in your fingers can't stand up to the strain of extremely heavy weights after a period of time even though you body is capable of pulling much more.

Even guys with 900lb+ deads train with straps.

I use straps and a double overhand grip for reps and usually an alternating grip w/o straps for singles. Blome is correct, I wouldn't recommend alternating grip for extended rep sets because it puts your body in a counter balanced position. But that's just my opinion. I know many other powerlifters and strongmen that both agree and disagree with me.
    Last edited by BgMc31; 05-15-2008 at 07:45 PM.

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i use straps for deads, shrugs, all back day actually, biceps curls when i get to the 70's, and also for dumbell press to help carry and get the weight off my legs...i am kinda dependant on them i guess, but they help no doubt and i will not give em up...

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries

You're right...It does happen.

I'd peg it as something that happens normally.. but most never pay it any attention, namely because they expect one side is going to be stronger or weaker than the other.

This is the reason why they always use the same position... Because one hand is stronger overhand..and the other is stronger in the underhand position.

Check it out.

Personally... I do work til grip failure with an over hand grip.

And.. in the sets after i alternate my lead hand from set to set using the alternated/staggered grip.

When grip failure occurs, I use straps for the max effort set.

So it looks some thing like this:

Bare bar: Overhand grip: 10 reps
    Set 1: 135 lbs: 5 reps [overhand]
    Set 2: 225 lbs: 5 reps [overhand]
    Set 3: 315 lbs: 5 reps [overhand]
    Set 4: 405 lbs: 5 reps [staggered; no belt no straps]
    Set 5: 495 lbs: 5 reps [staggered; w/ belt; no straps]

Set 6: Max effort [500 lbs+]: failure [staggered grip; w/ belt + straps]

-CNS

mike954 is offline Member
    you guys use alternating grip or no ? i use alternating and my roommate does not

PowerPress is offline Junior Member
    straps is the way to go imo. grips gives out way before my muscles do.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    couple things here
    1. I am working my back, not my forearms....more weight, more back growth and over all body growth

2. the staggered grip may cause bicep problems down the road.

3. I feel over over grips ensure even back development

4. Just my theory...I have personally never seeen it talked about. But with a over over grip, I have a feeling spine, skeleton, and muscles might better off.

I have a very weak grip, which is my downfall. I have a fairly small bone structure. neyways, with straps, i pull 500 for 4 at my best....without straps, I might struggle to pick up 405, havent tried though in a while.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    I never heard of that.

there is actually a video on youtbube somwhere, where a guy actually tears his bicep completely with an over under grip in the deadlift

I believe dante aka doggcrapp does advise his guys to use straps and go over over to protect the bi's. Thats why I personally do what I do.

Diary of a Mad-man is offline Associate Member
    I was gonna ask. Anyone alternate their alternating grip? I do left over, right under, then vice versa, up to 4 sets to do both twice. It fells nice and even.

I am nowhere as big as you guys, and I am NOT deadlifting 500 pounds, but I have noticed some things about my own body.

I used to NOT use alternating, and I noticed, it is basicly a forearm exercise at that point.......not bad to keep in mind if you are doing back/bi/forearm day.

But as far as alternating, it felt uncomfortable at first, and then when I got used to it, it felt like it was taking 100's of pounds off.

(oh, and I love straps for lat pulldown, pullups, and bent bar shrugs)
    Last edited by Diary of a Mad-man; 05-16-2008 at 12:38 AM.

when I used to deadlift I could do around 600 without straps..just chalk.

Chalk really helps. I could sometimes get 495 without chalk..but it would slip. That alternating grip and subsequent back injury/imbalance does make sense...I wish I woulda tried somethin like that..

Deadlifting without straps really gets your grip strength up there..

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Ive never used straps and can pull 500lbs+ easily. Ive always made a point of doing heavy dumbell shrugs and barbell rows without straps or chalk and doing weighted pullups with towels (I reckon these are the key for my grip strength), forearm curls cant hurt either.

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Never used straps. Just can't get comfortable with them.

Grip usually isn't a problem, although I'm now going to give a little chalk a try.

One day, recently, I decided to rub on some Coco Butter over the shoulders and arms as it was a beautiful sunny day (we need to make the most when they come round here in the UK). Didn't even think once and put "Back session" and "Coco Buttery hands" in the same sentence.

And as you can imagine, I was pissed off!!! My grip was appalling. Even washing them didn't do a thing.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    Never used straps. Just can't get comfortable with them.

Grip usually isn't a problem, although I'm now going to give a little chalk a try.

One day, recently, I decided to rub on some Coco Butter over the shoulders and arms as it was a beautiful sunny day (we need to make the most when they come round here in the UK). Didn't even think once and put "Back session" and "Coco Buttery hands" in the same sentence.

And as you can imagine, I was pissed off!!! My grip was appalling. Even washing them didn't do a thing.
    Lol! Wtf is coco butter by the way? Some kind of lube?

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member

this is the reason why i switched from an alternate grip. I used that technique for years, and regularly had weeks when i couldnt do much with my back because it would 'lock up' and feel real nasty for afew days, even weeks.

So, i switched to an overhand grip a year or 2 ago and very, very rarely have problems in my back (touching wood).

As for the straps issue, i have a deformed left hand (3 fingers on the bastard, 2 of which are not formed correctly, you can kinda see it in my avvy) so my grip on that hand isnt the best for barbells and dumbbells. However i did avoid using straps on my right hand for along time, until it got to the point that it was affecting my workouts for back and shrugs. So, i now use straps on both hands most of the time with shrugs, rows, deads and pullups (when i have weight added on my belt).

A strong grip is important, but for me getting the most out of the rest of my body is more important.

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaAce View Post
    Lol! Wtf is coco butter by the way? Some kind of lube?
    Not a "Lube". A skin cream. The girlfriend uses it. Brilliant for the skin, especially in the sun.

My reason: Gives me brilliant definition.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    I use overhand grip for deadlift to make sure I'm working all the muscle in my back evenly I could care less how impressive one of my lifts looks to someone I just love lifting heavy

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    i use straps. i will do some static holds if my grip is weak. i just like the added grip they provide. and the alternating grip hurts my biceps if i use it so i totally avoid it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information