thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis

Starting business, where do i get a license?

Watsup bros....Im trying to start my own business..Its a field that im very very knowledgeable in, and I have a lot of connects in the industry. The manufacturer that I am trying to get hooked up with said that in order to be a distributor/retailer for them that I need to present them with a business license &Tax ID number first and foremost. I have a website design guy ready to do, but am not going to give him the go ahead until I am situated with product ready to go.

1) Where do I get a business license in my state, and where do I get a tax ID#?

2) My website design guy said I have two options, he designs it and hands it over to me, or for a nominal fee he runs it.. which is preferrable?

3) Should I just contact my lawyer for all of the above and have him set it up?

Thanks

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    Your local tax assessor's office will give you all the info. They will also give your tax id and license. Hope this helps. Good luck

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    u can find the info by going to the tax comptroller's gov website for you city or state.

G4R
    G4R is offline Anabolic Voice of Reason
    If the guy you know is reliable, then I would have him maintain your website for the fee. If you are not sure if he can do it, find someone who can, it can be a time consuming pain in the @$$ for you to do it, especially if you are trying to run your own business.

bigt10 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Watsup bros....Im trying to start my own business..Its a field that im very very knowledgeable in, and I have a lot of connects in the industry. The manufacturer that I am trying to get hooked up with said that in order to be a distributor/retailer for them that I need to present them with a business license &Tax ID number first and foremost. I have a website design guy ready to do, but am not going to give him the go ahead until I am situated with product ready to go.

2) My website design guy said I have two options, he designs it and hands it over to me, or for a nominal fee he runs it.. which is preferrable?

Thanks
    cool what you startin a business for man.

For your question about the sites i know a guy who runs a hosting company.

IS the online site going to be doing orders.

Are you familiar with a PHP system or did you pick a cart such as OScommerce, or Xcart?????

I would say run yourself but it depends on what the site is going to be doing and what the business is about?????

IF its all online i would rethink if its just a marketing tool its a different story.

Give me an idea of your business model.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post

Thanks
    1) Here in Texas, you get a business license from several different state agencies, depending on what business you go into.
    Hairdressers and barbers and air conditioner people and fight promoters get theirs from the TDLR, doctors and dentists from their respective state licensing authorities, restaurants need a permit from the local health agency, etc. You should be able to find out from your state's Secretary of State's office what you need, and where to get it.

A tax ID number -- you can get one from the IRS. I got mine over their website, it's pretty simple. It's just a matter of registering your business and name & etc. Just make sure you don't lose that number . . .

Unless you incorporate your business (not always a good idea, BTW), you'll probably need to file a DBA (doing business as) at your county courthouse.

Depending on what sort of business you have, you may also need to get a state sales tax certificate. Here in Texas, we get 'em from the State Comptrollers office. It's free, and simple to apply for.

2) I had my web guy set it up, and every now and then I'll have him make a few changes. It's cheap, and I don't have to screw with it.
    What works for you depends largely on what sort of business you have and what your web needs are.

3) Your lawyer will be happy to do all this, but at $400 an hour. I'd do as much myself, just to save some bucks . . .
    What you need your lawyer to do is give you advice on specific issues to keep you out of trouble. Maybe you like your lawyer enough to chat with him about this and that and yesterday's football game to pay him $400 a hour for the privilege. Me, I don't like mine that much.

I'd recommend getting a book that outlines the process of starting up a business in your state. Amazon.com will probably have several that will answer lots of questions you have, plus will make you aware of other issues you might not have thought about. Make a list of all the requirements mentioned in the book, then show it to your lawyer and ask if there's anything else you should consider.

Basically, you don't want to pay the lawyer to teach you how to set up and run your business (not at $500 and hour). You read books for that, or take classes, or hang around with the Rotary club and ask businessmen there.

Thread Information