Thread: psychological ?

FrankieJJ23 is offline Banned

psychological ?

Alright so im wondering if anyone else feels this way or thinks this way time to time. People will tell you your in good shape or your a big guy or girl and in your head your just like nope i could be bigger or i want to be bigger.. This is has been my issue for a little bit Im just really courious if anyone else gets like this sometimes.. Is it the juice or what? Also like does anyone feel like they don't want anyone knowing their juicing but at the same point want people to know.. i dirve myself nuts honestly and im just wondering if its just me..

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Body dysmorphic disorder

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) (previously known as Dysmorphophobia and sometimes referred to as Body dysmorphia) is a psychiatric disorder in which the affected person is excessively concerned about and preoccupied by an imagined or minor defect in his or her physical features. The sufferer may complain of several specific features or a single feature, or a vague feature or general appearance, causing psychological distress that impairs occupational and/or social functioning, sometimes to the point of complete social isolation.[1] It is estimated that between 1%-2% of the world's population meet all the diagnostic criteria for BDD.

Individuals with very obvious and immediately-noticable defects should not be diagnosed with BDD, however culture and clinician bias may play a significant part in the subjectivity behind determining what physical appearance is considered 'normal' and in whom the disorder is diagnosed.[2] BDD combines obsessive and compulsive aspects, linking it, among psychologists, to the obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorders. The exact cause or causes of BDD is unknown, but most clinicians believe it to be a complex combination of biological, psychological and environmental factors.

Onset of symptoms generally occurs in adolescence or early adulthood, although cases of BDD onset in children and older adults is not unknown. BDD is often misunderstood to affect mostly women, however research shows that it affects men and women equally. The disorder is linked to significantly diminished quality of life and co-morbid major depressive disorder and social phobia. With a completed-suicide rate more than double than that of major depression, and a suicidal ideation rate of around 80%, BDD is considered a major risk factor for suicide. A person with the disorder may be treated with psychotherapy, medication, or both. Research has shown cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to be effective in treating BDD. BDD is a chronic illness and symptoms are likely to persist, or worsen, if left untreated.

Overview

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders defines body dysmorphic disorder as a preoccupation with an imagined or minor defect in appearance which causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. The individual's symptoms mustn't be better accounted for by another disorder, for example weight concern is usually more accurately attributed to an eating disorder.

The disorder generally is diagnosed in those who are extremely critical of their physique or self-image even though there may be no noticeable disfigurement or defect, or a minor defect which is not recognised by most people. Most people wish that they could change or improve some aspect of their physical appearance; but people suffering from BDD, generally of normal or even highly attractive appearance, believe that they are so unspeakably hideous that they are unable to interact with others or function normally for fear of ridicule and humiliation about their appearance. They tend to be very secretive and reluctant to seek help because they fear that others will think them vain or because they feel too embarrassed. It has also been suggested that fewer men seek help for the disorder than women.[3]

Ironically, BDD is often misunderstood as a vanity-driven obsession, whereas it is quite the opposite, for people with BDD believe themselves to be irrevocably ugly or defective.

BDD combines obsessive and compulsive aspects, linking it, among psychologists, to the Obsessive-Compulsive spectrum disorders. People with BDD may compulsively look at themselves in the mirror or avoid mirrors, typically think about their appearance for at least one hour a day (and usually more), and in severe cases may drop all social contact and responsibilities as they become a recluse.

A German study has shown that 1–2% of the population meet all the diagnostic criteria of BDD, with a larger percentage showing milder symptoms of the disorder (Psychological Medicine, vol 36, p 877). Chronically low self-esteem is characteristic of those with BDD, because the one's assessment of one's value is so closely linked with one's perception of one's appearance. BDD is diagnosed equally in men and women, and causes chronic social anxiety for its sufferers.[1]

Phillips & Menard (2006) found the completed-suicide rate in patients with BDD was 45 times higher than in the general United States population. This rate is more than double that of those with clinical depression and three times as high as that of those with bipolar disorder.[4] Suicidal ideation is also found in around 80% of people with BDD.[5] There has also been a suggested link between undiagnosed BDD and a higher than average suicide rate among people who have undergone cosmetic surgery

ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

good read, i fit a good portion of this but on the same note i don't have suicidal thoughts... and im very social.. i think its just i never liked being a certain way with my mid section, some say they love to be my size this that the 3rd but i guess i just won't be happy until im at the point i want.. thanks dsm

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    bigorexia

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    thats why u puff the magic dragon.... cause then u dont care

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild28 View Post
    bigorexia
    HAHA Never heard of that one... I think I might be suffering from the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonada8 View Post
    Makes me break out, gave that up awhile ago thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild28 View Post
    bigorexia
    lol good one
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonada8 View Post
    nah weed is far from my thing i head case to much that shit bugs me out and its unhealthly not that juice isn't in some ways lol

just to show where i stand... i don't think im big really i know im a decent size..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails psychological ?-meblack.jpg   psychological ?-flexblack.jpg   psychological ?-emmeblack.jpg  

i a bit more cut now since the anavar is working really well for me..

a little before pic, before i started going harder..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails psychological ?-b4.jpg  

TJM7275 is offline Banned
    Well I look at it like this bro...... I am never happy with my body, even though I know it looks good. I really feel that we need to be very critical of ourselves.. Why not be? I think the day any of us are content is the day we should just give up and quit working out.

^^ point well taken..

facile is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM7275 View Post
    Well I look at it like this bro...... I am never happy with my body, even though I know it looks good. I really feel that we need to be very critical of ourselves.. Why not be? I think the day any of us are content is the day we should just give up and quit working out.
    ^^^completely agree

hows everyone think my size is considering the pics..? and TJM that pic is in BK since i know your from ny

facile is offline Member
    What is your height and weight? Size looks good, but you could always get bigger!!!!! We all can that's the catch, I will never be satisfied!!

5'9 221 body fat is high though for what i want it to be... i started at like 210

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    i dont think im that much bigger than any of my buddys but when i see pictures, well im a lot bigger lol and fatter haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails psychological ?-me-guys.jpg  

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    only one i had with comparison to normal sized people haha

inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    Well for me, being that I was morbidly obese at one point (18 mos. ago) I still have a little trouble with people telling me how good I look. I guess its gotten better, I DO like it when the ladies pay me those compliments, but its gotten me in trouble with my wife also. I don't want people knowing about the juice, they are mostly misinformed and judgemental.

Thread Information