Skully44420 is offline "A Work in Progress"

Online universities

anybody here ever use any of them?...i've really been thinking that i need to get myself a better education..something that i can use as a career...i don't want to be in construction my whole life...i'm 27 and need to do something with my life

well i just wanted to get some of your opinions on it...and if you have any suggestions i'm all ears..right now i'm looking at fisher college online

thanks in advance

Jeremy

N*E*R*D is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skully44420 View Post
    anybody here ever use any of them?...i've really been thinking that i need to get myself a better education..something that i can use as a career...i don't want to be in construction my whole life...i'm 27 and need to do something with my life

well i just wanted to get some of your opinions on it...and if you have any suggestions i'm all ears..right now i'm looking at fisher college online

thanks in advance

Jeremy
    There was an exact same thread started last week here about online universities, have a look around it wont be far it should help you.

stallion_1 is offline suspended
    dont mean to be a dick or anything, but online universities will not really help you as a traditional university.why don't you go to a jc and then transfer to a university?

where in cali are you?

well i figure an online university would be a good start

i'm in hesperia in southern cali...in the high desert

But serously i think they're a waste of time and money. I'd enroll at a jc and then transfer. What major are you interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by stallion_1 View Post
    But serously i think they're a waste of time and money. I'd enroll at a jc and then transfer. What major are you interested in?
    i'm still debating what i want to major in...i'm reading up on all the courses available...was actually thinking maybe accounting?

Accounting is a good field, im getting my mba in finance and took some accounting courses.

I think phoenix online university is a good one but still id recommend a traditional university.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    They're not a waste of time.
    My oldest brother did most of his education online (Thomas Edison I believe).

You know what he does today?
    NOTHING! And gets paid a crapload for it.

Seriously its something with computer engineering but he makes a 6 digit income off it. At one point he traveled around the US fixing computers for major corportations but now he does nothing and gets paid more.
    Last edited by Bojangles69; 08-15-2008 at 11:33 PM.

i was also thinking about computer engineering...i'm going to check out all my options and see what i like best...i'm gonna check out the community college here along with the online universities

Computer engineering or computer technician??
    For computer engineering you need physics, math, enginering courses, programming courses so i doubt that an online college will offer that.

KatsMeow is offline Stupid
    I go to UCF completely online. But I already had an AA degree, so I'm not sure if that will work for you. But i do know some people that have went to the online schools. They are just a lot more expensive.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    In my personal opinion, there is nothing that can replace the classroom experience and the interaction and learning that takes place there. I would feel as though you were doing yourself a huge disservice by completing an entire degree online. Normally I would say whether or not you graduate from an esteemed university doesn't really matter, but university's that are solely online will not be looked at as highly.

I would advise you to find a real university that also happens to offer many classes online. The problem however with any good major that will translate into a job after a B.A./B.S. is that they will almost all require labs, which cannot be completed online. Also something to realise, is that bachelors degrees are no longer what they used to be. Most places that pay in the upper echelon of incomes (>$75,000) require graduate degrees.

Next question you need to explore. Choosing your major. Explore what your strengths and weaknesses are, are you good at math, do you enjoy reading, can you write essays, etc, etc. Then, look at the desired major you are considering and look at EVERY SINGLE COURSE that needs to be taken to complete that major.

Finally, establish what your timeline will be like. Will you attend part time or full time? Can you eliminate any bills at this point in your life so that you can work less and focus on school? Depending on your life situation, I have known people to sell the house, sell the car, and go on student loans and live on campus so they get done their degree in 4-5 years. This would depend on a number of factors, such as how much you make now, how much do you hate your current job, and how much money will you make if you complete the degree as soon as possible. For instance, if you make $30,000 a year right now, and you absolutely break your balls doing it, I would say it's not worth your time to continue making that much money while trying to complete a bachelors degree in 6-8 years. For instance, if you chose to major in Accounting, and you spent 4 years getting your bachelors in accounting while taking loans and living on campus, and were looking at the possibility of making $60,000-$70,000 a year when you graduated, well the choice would be easy in my mind.

These are all very important things to consider. But first off, my PERSONAL OPINION, is that online university's are a complete waste of your money and you would not be adequately prepared to enter the work force in your major upon completion. Online university's are quite different from state schools, whereas online university's are a BUSINESS, who want to make money. Your academic and personal success is of little consequence to them.

thank you everybody that has responded to this thread...and great input too

i've decided that i'm going to make an appointment to see a counselor at the community college here and talk to them about what i should start with and see what my options are

thank you

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skully44420 View Post
    thank you everybody that has responded to this thread...and great input too

i've decided that i'm going to make an appointment to see a counselor at the community college here and talk to them about what i should start with and see what my options are

thank you

smart choice.

good luck and may the force be with you

Thread Information