gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

what to do with cash?

We have a decent amount of cash. I would like to put it some where and get some kind of interest on it. I really dont want to do cd's because we might get a house within the next year and dont want the money locked up. What else would be a good option? is there something better then a reg savings?

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Buy a pistachio farm...I know a dude who makes millions, he owns a pistachio farm...Lol

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Buy a pistachio farm...I know a dude who makes millions, he owns a pistachio farm...Lol
    your nuts if you think im buying nuts

BIG-N-Brazil is offline Associate Member
    Do like a one year IRA. I did that last year and put a chunk then a lil everymonth. I am not sure what the return was but it was not locked up..

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    money market account. i used to earn 6% now its 3% but no terms on length

Quote Originally Posted by warchild28 View Post
    money market account. i used to earn 6% now its 3% but no terms on length
    i was thinking that. But i looked into them at a few banck and they were less then a savings account. like 1.14%

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    buy more steroids and gh.....

bankrate.com

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    We have a decent amount of cash. I would like to put it some where and get some kind of interest on it. I really dont want to do cd's because we might get a house within the next year and dont want the money locked up. What else would be a good option? is there something better then a reg savings?
    It depends on how *decent the amount is.

I always say save up till its more then decent and do anything in real estate.

I'm mean shit, my brother owned property (forget what town but by the water)
    Had 2 people living there, he was making a great profit every month just for rent, then he sold the place 2 years later and made $38,000 profit just on the sale. (as a nonprimary income)
    I don't remember him doing much of anything in terms of maintenence either.

We're both looking at a run down place right now, are gonna fix it up and do the same thing. Rent it out, then sell it for a profit. THe only reason we can pull it off it because 2 people in my close family are realtors, and the majority of the rest are carpenters, plumbers, construction, electrical.
    So the resources are everywhere.

But if you can find the right resources I recommend that w/out a doubt. Even in the current shitty economy its a great investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post

Had 2 people living there, he was making a great profit every month just for rent, then he sold the place 2 years later and made $38,000 profit just on the sale. (as a nonprimary income)

We're both looking at a run down place right now, are gonna fix it up and do the same thing. Rent it out, then sell it for a profit. THe only reason we can pull it off it because 2 people in my close family are realtors, and the majority of the rest are carpenters, plumbers, construction, electrical.

But if you can find the right resources I recommend that w/out a doubt. Even in the current shitty economy its a great investment.
    We have around 30k. But we would like to buy a house for ourselves first. Also the rental market is much different here than in NJ. NJ that would be a better option

bigt10 is offline Member
    haha ya right are you crazy, buy something that wont lose value. Congress is about to tap on Paulsons helmet and bernanke is in the bunker waiting for the call.

Some of you just wait till the Alt-A morgages reset this year. There is trillions of dollars to be lost in a matter of days when it happens.

The only rescure they will have is inflation, and we risk hyper inflation. The saudies and the chinese and everyone else who loaned us dollars is going to lose.

In the short term short selling commodities may be best but i would recomend a highly diversified portfolio with stocks on other exchanges and try to dvide away from dollar denominated assets.

Maybee some short term 2 or 3 year t bills at the european central bank. Pick a country that doesnt peg their dollar to ours.

Anyways i think gold and silver are a steal at their prices. There is no reason for them to have shot down and the money supply is only going to increase.

Our government is worried and concerned and they are trying to cover some things up. Today they only estimated the housing bail out would be 25 billion LMAO. They are forging the CPI and inflation numbers, but this wont last for ever.

Even more of a problem now is oil bearing countries who are tired of the dollar. Iraq, syria, and now Iran want to start selling oil in different currencies this is going to be bad, with countries like china threatening to unload their dollar reserves things could be dangerous.

I would say buy some gold, silver, and a variety of stocks. Perhaps bonds in other central banks that dont have massive reserves of US dollars.

I say gold, silver, or bonds in other countries that actually have a strong fundamentals such as savings and production ( not the USA.)

Things are going to get alot worse before they improve and real estate has a long way to fall.

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post

I own 5 investment properties and a construction company. I have many relationships with people in other trades.

If it was as easy as you describe it, everyone would be a property investor. The market is weak right now, for the most part, it's the worse it has ever been. Properties are actually DECREASING in value.

If you are looking for short term investments.....steer way clear of real estate.

Long term, as property values are dropping, the market is flooded with forclosures, it's great. But you are not going to make much money over a few years with it.

bigt10 is offline Member
    the cost of renting is still really cheap. Housing prices need to go back to their 2000 level. ill post an article for you guys later on this stuff.

In 2009-2012 so many people wont be able to get morgages and anyone with money could then buy real estate prices at liquidated places. Wait till all the rest of these morgages reset then the rates go up and people will stop making the payments.

The whole thing was crazy and this is one of our worst bubbles ever.

Wait till all these reset and the market is flooded with foreclosuers then u will get even better prices.

Quote Originally Posted by bigt10 View Post
    haha ya right are you crazy, buy something that wont lose value. Congress is about to tap on Paulsons helmet and bernanke is in the bunker waiting for the call.

Some of you just wait till the Alt-A morgages reset this year. There is trillions of dollars to be lost in a matter of days when it happens.

The only rescure they will have is inflation, and we risk hyper inflation. The saudies and the chinese and everyone else who loaned us dollars is going to lose.

In the short term short selling commodities may be best but i would recomend a highly diversified portfolio with stocks on other exchanges and try to dvide away from dollar denominated assets.

Maybee some short term 2 or 3 year t bills at the european central bank. Pick a country that doesnt peg their dollar to ours.

Anyways i think gold and silver are a steal at their prices. There is no reason for them to have shot down and the money supply is only going to increase.

Our government is worried and concerned and they are trying to cover some things up. Today they only estimated the housing bail out would be 25 billion LMAO. They are forging the CPI and inflation numbers, but this wont last for ever.

Even more of a problem now is oil bearing countries who are tired of the dollar. Iraq, syria, and now Iran want to start selling oil in different currencies this is going to be bad, with countries like china threatening to unload their dollar reserves things could be dangerous.

I would say buy some gold, silver, and a variety of stocks. Perhaps bonds in other central banks that dont have massive reserves of US dollars.

I say gold, silver, or bonds in other countries that actually have a strong fundamentals such as savings and production ( not the USA.)

Things are going to get alot worse before they improve and real estate has a long way to fall.
    jeez

bigt10 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post
    I own 5 investment properties and a construction company. I have many relationships with people in other trades.

If it was as easy as you describe it, everyone would be a property investor. The market is weak right now, for the most part, it's the worse it has ever been. Properties are actually DECREASING in value.

If you are looking for short term investments.....steer way clear of real estate.

Long term, as property values are dropping, the market is flooded with forclosures, it's great. But you are not going to make much money over a few years with it.
    people think its bad it isnt housing prices will go back to there they should be.

mr greenspan created this. here is this graph it doesnt take much to figure out something isnt right.

just looking online ing direct has a savings account at 3%. anyone ever use them?

bigt10 is offline Member
    just looking online ing direct has a savings account at 3%. anyone ever use them?
    my grandparents use them they say they are good and the service isnt bad.

ive used them. im at eloan now

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post

YES you will.
    It has nothing to do with being a "property investor", most of those people are broke pinheads looking to steal YOUR money.
    Property can and will always be upsold depending on the property you buy.

I never said anyone can do it, but we've done it before, and we're doing it again, and we wouldn't do it unless we knew what the fvck we were doing.

So preach stats while I'm looking for new property.
    And don't get mad the 5 you own now will have no conversion.
    "Investing" isn't something anyone can do.
    And what you're describing technically isn't even investing so I don't even see your point.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Buy some gold. I think it's come down a bit (or the dollar's just slightly gone up).

bigt10 is offline Member
    the dollar hasnt gone up the fed has just convinced many investors it is serious.

They talk hard on the dollar but their policies are anything less than that.

It is in their game to talk up the dollar. Sure gold have may been overpriced but in the long run it can only gain in value.

Its like the price of gas aslong as we keep inflating (increasing the money supply) i dont care what anyone says in the long run gas will keep going up as will everything.

scibble is offline "A Dukkit In The Making"
    i'm gonna say get silver, which is still fairly cheap but expected to increase by leaps and bounds as supplies start to dry up--

but lately around my area, everyone's in on that so it disappears fast.

bigt10 is offline Member
    there is many sites you can buy gold and gold certificates at.

Flex-Appeal is offline Senior Member
    cd's are good

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

Orange Savings Account

Annual Percentage Yield (APY)Effective Since3.00%03/19/2008Electric Orange

BalanceAPYEffective Since$0 - $49,999.991.75%03/19/2008$50,000.00 - $99,999.993.20%03/19/2008$100,000.00 or more3.40%03/19/2008Orange CDs

TermAPYEffective Since6 Month3.50%08/12/20089 Month3.60%08/12/200812 Month3.70%08/12/200818 Month3.75%08/12/200824 Month3.80%08/12/200830 Month3.85%08/12/200836 Month3.90%08/12/200848 Month3.95%08/12/200860 Month4.00%08/12/2008Top
    Orange Mortgage

Product% of Home Value to BorrowInterest RateAPRFor loan amounts less than $500,000: 5/1 Orange Mortgage80% or less5.500%5.587%7/1 Orange Mortgage80% or less5.875%5.763%For loan amounts more than $500,000: 5/1 Orange Mortgage80% or less6.000%6.095%7/1 Orange Mortgage80% or less6.375%6.275%Orange Home Equity

Variable RateAPR10 Year draw period followed by a 15 year repayment period with a Combined Loan To Value Ratio of less than 75%As low as 5.00%Top
    Business Savings Account

APYEffective Since3.15%03/19/2008Business CDs

TermAPYEffective Since6 Month3.50%08/12/2008 9 Month3.60%08/12/2008 12 Month3.70%08/12/2008 18 Month3.75%08/12/2008 24 Month3.80%08/12/2008 30 Month3.85%08/12/2008 36 Month3.90%08/12/2008 48 Month3.95%08/12/2008 60 Month4.00%08/12/2008 Top
    IRA Savings

Annual Percentage Yield (APY)Effective Since3.00%03/19/2008IRA CDs

TermAnnual Percentage YieldEffective Since6 Month3.50%08/12/2008 9 Month3.60%08/12/2008 12 Month3.70%08/12/2008 18 Month3.75%08/12/2008 24 Month3.80%08/12/2008 30 Month3.85%08/12/2008 36 Month3.90%08/12/2008 48 Month3.95%08/12/2008 60 Month4.00%08/12/2008 Top

source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I have enough for his and his bikes

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I was just going to say bike too. I bought a sport bike this year and a 2009 c300 4matic. Life is all about the toys.

.45Caliber is offline Associate Member
    the cost of renting is still really cheap. Housing prices need to go back to their 2000 level. ill post an article for you guys later on this stuff.

In 2009-2012 so many people wont be able to get morgages and anyone with money could then buy real estate prices at liquidated places. Wait till all the rest of these morgages reset then the rates go up and people will stop making the payments.

The whole thing was crazy and this is one of our worst bubbles ever.

Wait till all these reset and the market is flooded with foreclosuers then u will get even better prices.

Your saying there is going to be more foreclosures than whats happening now? Its pretty bad now. I can't imagine whats going to happen if there are alot more.

When are they going to reset? this year 08 or 09?

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

Silver :)

people think its bad it isnt housing prices will go back to there they should be.

mr greenspan created this. here is this graph it doesnt take much to figure out something isnt right.

I've been successful in real estate investing for the last 15 years and I'm completely out of that market! The smart, but scary, play is Silver : Make sure to have a stop loss in though...it can swing 10% or more in a day.

TOOBAD is offline Associate Member
    go to Yahoo Finance and look up this ticker symbol: VGR. It yeilds over a 9% dividend AND you get a 5% bonus at the end of their fiscal year. I have owned this stock for about 10 years now and have done really well with it.

On 30,000 you would make about $3000/yr plus your bonus. You'd make about $4500 total...not bad huh? I plan to retire off this at a very early age!

Thread Information