BTM0085 is offline Associate Member

Question for bouncers?

Hey dudes, I a going back to school in Jan...need to focus on my studies during the week and was thinking about looking for a job bouncing at one of the college bars.I already have my security license. Im not huge but pretty big 6'3 220..Any experienced bouncers got any advice on if this is a smart move? Also, I have no insurance..Are the bars liable for your medical bills say if someone cracks a chair/bottle over your head?

skinnyhb is offline Member
    Depends on where you are, but I would say that yes, if it is any sort of reputable bar, they will cover any medical bills that you incur. They should have insurance on it.

Bouncing during school is great, depending on your situation. It could be the most fun thing you will ever do in your life. But it could be a terrible drain on your soul and make you hate everyone. Most of the time it is a little of both.

Voland is offline Celtiberian Pagan Whoremachine Leader
    I don't know how things work over there.
    But here almost anyone can bounce. I did it through a friend. The anly two thinghs they asked for was:
    - being higher than 1.80 metres (which i'm not. So I had to do a one night on trial to see how i did)
    - one year (or more) of knowledge of any martial art or fight sport and not be a profesional (in my case was taekwondo).
    No insurance no nothing. Money in cash. No taxes anything. It wanst bad just one night i got trouble with a group of drunks. Nothing serious.
    I did for a whole summer. The pay is good but if you're not a night guy you'll hate it.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I've been doing security for 10yrs and as Voland said if you're not a night person then forget about doing security at clubs. You can always do security during the day but the $$$ usually isn't a good. I actually own a security company, so I provide security for bars, nightclubs etc and it is the security company you work for who should have public liability insurance and that being the case means you will be covered in case of an incident.

Depending on where you are depends on what type of license is required. Where I live we need to have a security and crowd controllers licenses which allows you to work at clubs.

Size certainly helps in security but more importantly you need to have some brains and know how to talk to people. If you are a people person then you will be fine, if you have a short fuse then you won't last long.

Good luck with everything.

-Gear

VeraDeMilo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willieboy36 View Post
    Hey dudes, I a going back to school in Jan...need to focus on my studies during the week and was thinking about looking for a job bouncing at one of the college bars.I already have my security license. Im not huge but pretty big 6'3 220..Any experienced bouncers got any advice on if this is a smart move? Also, I have no insurance..Are the bars liable for your medical bills say if someone cracks a chair/bottle over your head?
    Where I'm from you don't need a security license to bounce. And if you are gonna do college bars, that's probably the easiest type of place to bounce. I have been bouncing those bars for 9 years. Kids are just looking to get drunk and get laid. If there are enough girls to go around there is almost never a problem. You're definately big enough. To tell you the truth, I prefer to work with a smaller guy that goes to that college and knows a lot of the people there, over a big meat head on those nights. They first guy can defuse a lot of the situations before the escalate to becoming physical if he knows a lot of the kids there.

Insurance wise, if you are hired directly by the bar or a promotions group, and if its a decent bar owned by decent people, they should pay for any medical bills, however, a lot of places will not. Especially if you are off the books and paid in cash.

And as far as worrying about getting sued if you hurt someone else during a fight... my best advice is to only fight inside the bar. Once it goes out the front door, leave it alone. As soon as you step foot outside that bar you are liable. When it's inside the bar, you should be covered. The person is on private property and was asked to leave, so they are now trespassing. Also, They go for who has the deepest pockets in a lawsuit, which in your case is the bar.

Good luck and be ready to get a lot of ass

Thread Information