JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)

Anyone ever had or know someone who has had a spinal tap?

A friend of mine is supposed to go in for a spinal tap soon to test for west nile/meningitis. Just wondering what the experience is like as far as procedure/recovery time/side effects. Thanks.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Freakish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    A friend of mine is supposed to go in for a spinal tap soon to test for west nile/meningitis. Just wondering what the experience is like as far as procedure/recovery time/side effects. Thanks.
    ive had it done,not one of my more pleasant experiences,2days recovery,unfortunately it just so happened i did have meningitis and had to spend a month in hospital...but they gave me jelly everyday so its all good

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    damn that sucks bro, i had one done a couple years ago... negative for everything. Mine was completely painless.. except for the next day the pain wraps around you no standing up... i was dehydraded and couldnt replenish the amount they took out right away... so you get spinal headaches. those are killer. Nurses say because its the same fluid that keeps ur brain afloat and when you stand up it naturally sinks and you brain looses its cushion...<-- dono how true that is though

Damn that sucks man. Im just kinda worried because shes trying to downplay the severity of the situation. She is supposed to be putting on some event for her work less than 24 hours after the procedure and thinks shes gonna be up and about and everything. I just dont want her to be doing things that could further or complicate the recovery process, cuz from what Ive read that shit is pretty brutal. What kind of meningitis did you have?

*Admin* is offline AR Admin
    It is virtually painless depending on the professional doing the procedure... and the fact that she remains as relaxed as possible... recovery can be 15 minutes to 72 hours depended again on the professional as well as her health level... now the more important thing will be if she tests positive she will not be going to any event and she may want to let someone know that in advance to find a replacement just in case as she will not appear very professional or reliable to her employer otherwise... just a thought...
    Every man has the ability to be a fool, it is what he does to recover that shows who the fool really is.
    ~Anonymous~

Those who believe that they are exclusively in the right are generally those who achieve something.
    ~Aldous Huxley~

Completely Cleanse Your Body of Steroids in Only 5 Days! - www.SteroidCleanse.com

Help Stop Steroid Abuse - Click Here!

Yeah Ill definitely let her know to do that. As far as when you guys were in recovery, did you need someone around to help you out or were you fine on your own? I would think you would want someone to be there since you are supposed to be lying down and staying still for something like 24 hours after.

*Admin* is offline AR Admin
    personally I would want someone there... but then I would use the situation for attention...

now need someone hummmm see above...lol
    Every man has the ability to be a fool, it is what he does to recover that shows who the fool really is.
    ~Anonymous~

Those who believe that they are exclusively in the right are generally those who achieve something.
    ~Aldous Huxley~

Completely Cleanse Your Body of Steroids in Only 5 Days! - www.SteroidCleanse.com

Help Stop Steroid Abuse - Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by *Admin* View Post
    personally I would want someone there... but then I would use the situation for attention...

now need someone hummmm see above...lol
    Haha, attention whore. Ive was reading on some other forums and it seems like theres about a 50/50 chance that you could really feel like shit and be miserable for while after. Some people needed up to 10 days to recover, for others a day was enough. Shes a tough girl, but Im thinking its better to have someone there and not need them than to need help and not have anyone. Either way I dont think its wise to be going out the very next day.

KatsMeow is offline Stupid
    I've had a HORRIBLE experiences with spinal taps. I've had them done several times because I have vascular migraines and everytime I have to go into the ER they think I have meningitis. The last time, I'm pretty sure that the doctor had no idea what he was doing, during the first attempt I lost all feeling in my legs, during the second attempt my stomach got really hard....basically he attempted it a total of 11 times and ripped my dura. I then had another doctor finally get it under the guidance of fluoroscope. My entire back was black and blue and I had to have a blood patch done to attempt to make a repair to the damage and keep the CSF from leaking out. I was on bed rest for 3 days following and had a spinal migraine which was worse than the vascular migraine that I went in with.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    had it done before. actually three times in a row. 2 diff docs tried and then they said my lower back was too thick and they had to use some kinda xray thing to see my spine. anyways. i was so jacked up on morphine and demorol that i really didnt exp much pain at all and the recovery was great as well. didnt relaly noticed an side effects or pain afterwards.

KatsMeow is offline Stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by godkilla View Post
    had it done before. actually three times in a row. 2 diff docs tried and then they said my lower back was too thick and they had to use some kinda xray thing to see my spine. anyways. i was so jacked up on morphine and demorol that i really didnt exp much pain at all and the recovery was great as well. didnt relaly noticed an side effects or pain afterwards.
    Lucky you, after all the damage they did to me, I wasn't able to get pain meds until after and it was just to the point where they had to knock me out because I couldn't function since I was in so much pain.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KatsMeow View Post
    Lucky you, after all the damage they did to me, I wasn't able to get pain meds until after and it was just to the point where they had to knock me out because I couldn't function since I was in so much pain.
    well they only had to try 3 times on me and there was also a "student" there watching/learning. i couldnt imagine them tryin 11 times. like once or twice and then use some kinda xray to guide you. 11 attempts snds like a stubborn doc to me. o yeah i was back training full strength within the week. modern medicine rocks

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    it could be VERY painful. not a fun time or an easy test

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    i just had one done recently.

it's an odd feeling. the needle is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE but they only go in a little...

the sensation is odd as hell. it's not as much to worry about as you think.

Thread Information