xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

Business Majors/Minors

Hey, I plan on getting a minor in business, either accounting or business administration.

Just curious as to a comparison of the two. I'm going to minor in business because everything comes down to money and making a profit, so it would boost my resume.

And thats my only real use for it, boosting my resume, giving me that business edge where-ever I may go. Which would be a better choice? Also, if you feel something else, like finance, would be a better choice, include that.

bobo0101 is offline Junior Member
    Last edited by bobo0101; 03-03-2013 at 12:06 AM.

KingTenderloin is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah definitely administration like bobo said unless u love math and plan on bein an accountant then i'd steer clear of that

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Accounting is the more desirable minor to get. Dont listen to Bobo, you wont be the boss of many people with a minor in business lol.

Blog Entries
    Good points.

Thing is, yes this only a minor, so I doubt I will be someone's boss. For an accounting minor I would have to take 2-3 more classes, which really isn't a big deal.

The jobs I will be going for are not business related, but I want something on my resume that says, hey, this guy has money sense and knows how money works, etc, etc...and in the end, thats what companies want, a profit.

It seems like business administration is a more broad, general degree. And Accounting, well, specializes in the numbers.

What about finance?
    Last edited by xlxBigSexyxlx; 10-16-2008 at 11:56 AM.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Finance. BA is the major people choose in Business school when they can't handle true business majors. Same with Management. CIS would be another practicle business major. If you are bothering with a minor you might as well get something from it. Finance you surely will be able to use years down the road and CIS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N. View Post
    Finance. BA is the major people choose in Business school when they can't handle true business majors. Same with Management. CIS would be another practicle business major. If you are bothering with a minor you might as well get something from it. Finance you surely will be able to use years down the road and CIS.

Yeah, I was just reading up on finance, and that seems like it could really help me.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I started taking accounting but switched after 3 semesters to Business here at College in Canada. it wa sa great decision and made me far more employable I started working for Mercedes-benz less than a year after graduating.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    That minor is totally pointless IMO...Many places rarely even care what your BA/BS degree is in in the first place. Now days there are very very very few BA/BS degrees that translate directly into a high paying career field. Graduate school is usually needed in all cases. If you want people to think you would be a good manager, do an 18 month MBA program when you graduate or while working.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    ^^ Disagree with the MBA comment. Experience out weights the MBA any day on a resume. Work first then find the time or company to go get an MBA, JD, etc.

^^ Disagree with the MBA comment. Experience out weights the MBA any day on a resume. Work first then find the time or company to go get an MBA, JD, etc.
    That was kind of what I was alluding to...The over riding point is that minors are completely worthless. They're great if you're just genuinely interested in something, but think the 20 or so credits its going to take you to get that minor will count for shit on a resume. And to lend to what BEN said, an MBA is also probably worthless without any experience unless you are coming out of an Ivy.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    That was kind of what I was alluding to...The over riding point is that minors are completely worthless. They're great if you're just genuinely interested in something, but think the 20 or so credits its going to take you to get that minor will count for shit on a resume. And to lend to what BEN said, an MBA is also probably worthless without any experience unless you are coming out of an Ivy.
    I concur with that point then.

I'd say that if your major is chemistry and you are getting a business minor your kind of wasting your time/money. Unless it just plain interests you and you want that practical knowledge (still go finance.) When I was finishing school it was not that many more hours to just complete a double major though. That would be worth the effort in my opinion.

What is your major to begin with?

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    riiight.....did you just say that the finance people couldn't handle something? are you kidding? it's probably the "hardest" if you can use that word in the business school, major there is there.

Blog Entries
    I concur with that point then.

I'd say that if your major is chemistry and you are getting a business minor your kind of wasting your time/money. Unless it just plain interests you and you want that practical knowledge (still go finance.) When I was finishing school it was not that many more hours to just complete a double major though. That would be worth the effort in my opinion.

What is your major to begin with?

Environmental Science.

"For environmental scientists and hydrologists who consult, courses in business, finance, marketing, or economics may be useful."

Not that I know I am going to be a consultant, but you never know when that little experience can be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Environmental Science.

"For environmental scientists and hydrologists who consult, courses in business, finance, marketing, or economics may be useful."

Not that I know I am going to be a consultant, but you never know when that little experience can be helpful.
    What kind of career are you expecting? I still think minors are totally useless unless you want to just explore other disciplines. The truth of the matter is, that the MAJORITY of college graduates with BA/BS are competing for ENTRY LEVEL jobs right now. The MA/MS is really the new bachelors...Thats because HUGE numbers of young people now have bachelors degrees. If you want to look at it like a market, there has been a huge increase in suppy of BA/BS resulting in a much lower demand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    What kind of career are you expecting? I still think minors are totally useless unless you want to just explore other disciplines. The truth of the matter is, that the MAJORITY of college graduates with BA/BS are competing for ENTRY LEVEL jobs right now. The MA/MS is really the new bachelors...Thats because HUGE numbers of young people now have bachelors degrees. If you want to look at it like a market, there has been a huge increase in suppy of BA/BS resulting in a much lower demand.

Im def going to get my masters.

Maybe Im just looking at it as, a little business experience can't hurt.

take two people with the same degree, same everything. BUt one, has a minor in business. Who do you think the employer will lean towards?

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    riiight.....did you just say that the finance people couldn't handle something? are you kidding? it's probably the "hardest" if you can use that word in the business school, major there is there.
    Ruhl...settle down and re-read my post. Finance . BA (see Business Administration) is the major people choose in Business school when they can't handle true business majors.

Do you understand know???? I hold a major in Finance.

Apology accepted.

B.E.N. is offline Member

take two people with the same degree, same everything. BUt one, has a minor in business. Who do you think the employer will lean towards?
    I'm with Godfather still. In your example a minor is not going to weight heavily on the prospective employers decision.

Keep in mind when you minor you are merely scratching the surface in that field. So if you already have some basic knowledge you may be wasting that course time. For example the entry level accounting class I first took were the exact same thing that I took in HS.

In your field a masters would be in hire demand than in a business/finance/banking field. I suggest first finding a job and hopefully that employer will assist you with going back to get your masters.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

I agree with thegodfather on this one. I feel the minor is a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55
    What I took from his statement was the accounting and finance curriculum were generally the more challenging.

Blog Entries
    Okay. Well, should I double major or wait and shoot for an MBA?

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    Ruhl...settle down and re-read my post. Finance . BA (see Business Administration) is the major people choose in Business school when they can't handle true business majors.

Do you understand know???? I hold a major in Finance.

Apology accepted.
    i don't get it

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    i don't get it
    Finance. (I will spell out my all periods for you from now on period) BA (see Business Administration) is the major people choose in Business school when they can't handle true business majors.

You sure that you did not drop those weights on your head at the gym????

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Okay. Well, should I double major or wait and shoot for an MBA?
    I told you what I think. Double Major. Then work and attempt to find an employer that will assist with the cost of continuing education.

Blog Entries
    I told you what I think. Double Major. Then work and attempt to find an employer that will assist with the cost of continuing education.
    Thanks for your input/advice.

I appreciate it.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Thanks for your input/advice.

I appreciate it.
    Good luck in school! Can I ask why Env. Sci.?

Blog Entries
    Good luck in school! Can I ask why Env. Sci.?

It just really interests me. get to travel somewhat, be outdoors part of the time, it is just fun stuff to me. I dont care that they make only 60 grand or so on average.
    It was actually my first choice, then I switched through a million different other majors lol, now back to this.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    It just really interests me. get to travel somewhat, be outdoors part of the time, it is just fun stuff to me. I dont care that they make only 60 grand or so on average.
    It was actually my first choice, then I switched through a million different other majors lol, now back to this.
    Ha...$60K is an honest living. What year in school are you? If you like being outside, and are still at a place in school were you don't have to start all over, consider geological engineering. In the case of that major I would opt for the Masters striaght away. And they make $$$$!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N.;4258***
    Ha...$60K is an honest living. What year in school are you? If you like being outside, and are still at a place in school were you don't have to start all over, consider geological engineering. In the case of that major I would opt for the Masters striaght away. And they make $$$$!
    ha but thats only average. Im an above average kinda guy.
    2010. But its probably going to take me a couple more if I double major.
    Im not a fan of engineering. I was in chemical engineering and hated it lol

Thread Information