Thread: Web design

cardiodan is offline Associate Member

Web design

Hey Whatsup?
    I have a few questions....u guy seem pretty knowldgeable.

1) Why would anyone use notepad instead of Frontpage or dreamweaver? You can check or use code only version, and u get a preview of what it looks like on browsers. How can you visualize something in notepad?

2) How do I download free webdesign templates (the free ones, such as in open source web design) They have some pretty awesome ones.

3) Do all work in Frontpage 2003? I use that.

4) I use frontpage 2003, the latest i think.
    Does it support those shiny buttons that shine when you put your mouse over them. I dont think theyre rollovers, is it called css?

Thanks for your time!!
    I really appreciate it.
    DMC

Linuxian is offline Junior Member
    1. Because notepad is sooo much more l33t than using a tool designed to save hours of dev time lol

2. Free?

3. If you're going to upgrade to the latest version of web dev software, go to Dreamweaver. Front Page is horrible!! You can create "shiny buttons" with flash as well. ;-) I don't do alot with style sheets so I'm not sure if they can be used for anything more than controlling how the rollover is presented. I'm sure there are some others on this forum that know more about css.

Of course, the tool you use really depends on what kind of web dev you are doing. I use Visual Studio more than Dreamweaver lately because I've been doing a lot more back end dev lately.

cardiodan is offline Associate Member
    1) I knew it was bc it was more l33t !
    2) Open source web design...search for that or free webdesign templates.
    Ive created some pretty good looking sites thanks to that.

3) I have dreamweaver cs3 and i dont undesrtand it, so thats why i use Frontpage2003

Linuxian is offline Junior Member
    Could you pm me some links to the open source templates. Those could come in handy.

Dreamweaver is worth learning. It's Soooo much more powerful than FP. I think I used a book called the Visual Quick Start Guide for Dreamweaver.. I'm not sure if their latest edition is as well written but I found it to be quick, concise, and to the point for the version I originally learned on. FP is great as long as you don't do alot of custom coding with stuff like PHP or Perl. I found the typical MS "spago-code" that it generates to be far too limiting.

NS
    NS is offline Associate Member
    Notepad is simple. It is all you need if you are going to do web development properly.

You will need a good ftp program though and there are good ones out there for free. I have an ftp client on left screen to access the files I want to open. open them up in notepad on my right screen and edit them. then refresh the live page in firefox and IE.

I would recommend not bothering to put effort into learning how to use programmes such as Frontpage and dreamweaver but instead put the effort in to learn the code using notepad.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    one of the main reasons is front page messes up and puts it's own code that isn't wanted or needed into your source code..

that's why they dont' like it..

css (style sheets) is the way to program if it's s site that changes often..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by cardiodan;41***51
    Hey Whatsup?
    I have a few questions....u guy seem pretty knowldgeable.

1) Why would anyone use notepad instead of Frontpage or dreamweaver? You can check or use code only version, and u get a preview of what it looks like on browsers. How can you visualize something in notepad?

2) How do I download free webdesign templates (the free ones, such as in open source web design) They have some pretty awesome ones.

3) Do all work in Frontpage 2003? I use that.

4) I use frontpage 2003, the latest i think.
    Does it support those shiny buttons that shine when you put your mouse over them. I dont think theyre rollovers, is it called css?

Thanks for your time!!
    I really appreciate it.
    DMC
    PM me what you want. I have many free templates paid and open source too. Will send you the link.

graffixct is offline New Member
    Yeah I use Dreamweaver and love it. Notepad is for the ubergeek and whatnot.

Thread Information