Bojangles69 is offline Banned

For guys who like meat/bbq. (pork, fish, chicken)

This is all new to me (smoking) but I'm hooked on cooking like this now all the time instead of bbq'n meat.

I started researching it maybe 2 weeks ago and had to take an old grill to my brothers house where we welded a smoke box underneath, and some pipes just to be fancy.
    But you don't really need to go through all that crap.

Anyway, any dudes who LOVE barbequed food, or barbequing their own food, try building a smoker grill. I'll outline what I did because it facking rawks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is to use charcoal briquettes, and hickory wood chips. I soaked my hickory chips in boiling hot water for 30 mins (hot water works better, Lowes and Home Depot sells hickory chips).

Once the charcoal is going, you take maybe 2 or 3 handfuls of the wet (but shake the water off so their not dripping onto the charcoal) chips, and smother them all over the top of the charcoal.
    Shut the grill, and keep the oxygen feed very low. (the holes that slide open on the bottom)

This creates a situation where the wet hickory wood smothers the hot charcoal, and it will start creating LOTS of smoke (it will get hot depending on weather and if you give it too much oxygen) but if you keep it shut, it will just billow the smoke for hours and hours and shouldn't get too hot.

Whatever your smoking you want to cure in a very dilute salt water solution for a 24 hours, salmon and baby backs cooked this way are FVCKING INCREDIBLE.
    When you put the food in the grill don't put it directly over the smoke mixture, put it all around it. Anyway, I'm dead serious and wouldn't be posting this thread if it wasn't worth a try, its makes EVERYTHING so good you have no idea.
    The smoked salmon was unbelievable, I may try tuna fish next just to see what happens.

All my brothers tasted it and were like HOLY SHIT, said they never tasted anything like it before. The longer you smoke the deeper the smoke flavor gets into it so you have complete control over it. I only did it for 6 hours and it got the flavor more than deep enough imo.

Def doing like 6 racks of baby backs for the superbowl.
    But for anyone who likes to cook/bbq try this method, you can really pile the food in the grill too because the smoke will get to every piece as long as theres tiny air gaps between the food.
    I can't imagine how peanuts would taste, or even pretzels, anything.

Highly recommend.

Mind you there is hot smoking and cold smoking, cold is just when smoke has distance to cool down before it reaches the food, and commercially they actually do this in freezers.
    Hot smoking is when theres just enough heat to slowly cook the food over hours as it smokes, this method cooks the food for me. After a few hours it will be cooked, but I found you can keep going w/out burning the food or drying it out because the heat is extremely low. Hands down best way to BBQ.

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    great post thank you

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    No problem! Such a HUGE difference between BBQ'd meat and smoked meat, everyone must try it.

higherdesire is offline Banned
    this has been the perferred method in Texas for a longtime. One pointer, if oyu are doing a brisket, sear the meat on all sides in the flame to the point where it is black. Then wrap the entire thing in heavt aluminum foilf and then place it in the smoker to smoke. 30 minutes a pound should do well. This method will produce the juiciest meat you can have. the flavor still reaches the meat. This works great for whole chickens as well.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting, shall look into this thanks..

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    DSM has a lot of good tips on smoking meat. But seriously, yeah, its delicious.

crazycrab is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    This is all new to me (smoking) but I'm hooked on cooking like this now all the time instead of bbq'n meat.

I started researching it maybe 2 weeks ago and had to take an old grill to my brothers house where we welded a smoke box underneath, and some pipes just to be fancy.
    But you don't really need to go through all that crap.

Anyway, any dudes who LOVE barbequed food, or barbequing their own food, try building a smoker grill. I'll outline what I did because it facking rawks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is to use charcoal briquettes, and hickory wood chips. I soaked my hickory chips in boiling hot water for 30 mins (hot water works better, Lowes and Home Depot sells hickory chips).

Once the charcoal is going, you take maybe 2 or 3 handfuls of the wet (but shake the water off so their not dripping onto the charcoal) chips, and smother them all over the top of the charcoal.
    Shut the grill, and keep the oxygen feed very low. (the holes that slide open on the bottom)

This creates a situation where the wet hickory wood smothers the hot charcoal, and it will start creating LOTS of smoke (it will get hot depending on weather and if you give it too much oxygen) but if you keep it shut, it will just billow the smoke for hours and hours and shouldn't get too hot.

Whatever your smoking you want to cure in a very dilute salt water solution for a 24 hours, salmon and baby backs cooked this way are FVCKING INCREDIBLE.
    When you put the food in the grill don't put it directly over the smoke mixture, put it all around it. Anyway, I'm dead serious and wouldn't be posting this thread if it wasn't worth a try, its makes EVERYTHING so good you have no idea.
    The smoked salmon was unbelievable, I may try tuna fish next just to see what happens.

All my brothers tasted it and were like HOLY SHIT, said they never tasted anything like it before. The longer you smoke the deeper the smoke flavor gets into it so you have complete control over it. I only did it for 6 hours and it got the flavor more than deep enough imo.

Def doing like 6 racks of baby backs for the superbowl.
    But for anyone who likes to cook/bbq try this method, you can really pile the food in the grill too because the smoke will get to every piece as long as theres tiny air gaps between the food.
    I can't imagine how peanuts would taste, or even pretzels, anything.

Highly recommend.

Mind you there is hot smoking and cold smoking, cold is just when smoke has distance to cool down before it reaches the food, and commercially they actually do this in freezers.
    Hot smoking is when theres just enough heat to slowly cook the food over hours as it smokes, this method cooks the food for me. After a few hours it will be cooked, but I found you can keep going w/out burning the food or drying it out because the heat is extremely low. Hands down best way to BBQ.
    If you keep the smoker around 2 hundred degrees you can cook them for up to 8 hrs. They are ready to eat in about 2 hours but they get tender the longer you let them go. Great way to spend a Sunday if you are just chillin.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    one good thing about texas

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds great

C-MaN is offline Senior Member
    That's one of the reasons im proud to be a texan.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    sounds sick but i don't do much bbqing at college. like 2 years ago my mom and some friends smoked a whole pig for her christmas party. there was this huge contraption in our driveway for 2 days while people set it up/cooked/ and tended to it. it was pretty good though

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    I smoked a steak the other weekend and it was the best steak I have ever had...so thanks again....

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    My grill has a smoke-box attached to it ... the only time I used it was when I first bought the grill .... just to seal the inside of the grill.

I have yet to use it to cook ... but I've always wanted to cook with indirect heat/smoke.

I might just have to get the grill going tomorrow.

Dinosaur is offline Member
    i gotta buy me home somoking gridle. i love smoked fish its the best wiht lemon juice on top.ohhhhh I am hook up for good.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Who wants a burger ?

Thread Information