Thread: DB/BB Formula

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member

DB/BB Formula

I remember seeing somehere a formula about converting your DB presses to your BB presses. I haven't done Flat BB bench press in a while because I hate it. However, I am trying to get an idea of where I am at.

From What I remember, this is the formula:

(Weight of 1 DB*2)/0.9 = barbell bench (90%)

I can 125 DBs for 10 on the flat bench, so with that being said..

(125*2)/0.9=278lbs

Now, with that conversion, it is claiming that I could do 275-280lbs for 10 reps using the flat BB.

Does anyone think this is accurate? Feel free to plug your #s in.
    Last edited by Gaspari1255; 10-18-2009 at 11:16 PM.

CHUCKYthentic is offline Anabolic Member
    wow thats a cool formula, never seen it before.

so does it matter the amount of reps? does it have to be 10?

is the formula the same for say 8 reps?

^nope..doesn't matter on the reps. You just gotta plug the weight in correctly, and transfer the amount of reps you do for the DBs to the BB.

alright gotcha

i can do the 120s 8x right now

so that converts into 266 8x....

for me its kind of off i can do 275 8-10x rite now but i usually do flat bench every chest workout. so there im different than you. i actually dont even do flat dumbells a whole lot, usually at different inclines

id say that formula is pretty damn close tho

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKYthentic View Post
    alright gotcha

i can do the 120s 8x right now

so that converts into 266 8x....

for me its kind of off i can do 275 8-10x rite now but i usually do flat bench every chest workout. so there im different than you. i actually dont even do flat dumbells a whole lot, usually at different inclines

id say that formula is pretty damn close tho
    Cool. thanks for sharing. I really have no idea how well this works, going to find out tomorrow. For me, I think I am the opposite. I know I can hit 125s for 10 reps but I dont think I will be able to hit 275 for 10 on the flat bench BB. Maybe its mental, we'll just have to see.

ive always been a believer that with bench press u just have to be consistant with it and do it at least once a week to be stong in it. i dont think its the most important chest workout IMO, i mean good for strength ofcourse. i agree u prob might not be able to hit 10 reps but you should be able to move some good weight. its gonna feel awkward as all hell thats for sure!

its not about how much you can bench press, its how much you LOOK like you can bench press! haha

I hear ya on that. I got stuck in the whole do incline first thing for about 7 months. Strength was nuts on it, I was hitting 275 for sets of 7. Saw very little results. I went over to flat DB as my second exersize. Now, tomorrow its time for flat BB bench FIRST!

ya man you ll adjust pretty quick im sure

haha did that incline thing too one time! i have a bad shoulder that got worse over the past year so i cant do BB incline or BB military any more. I use to LOVE both. just somethin about those 2 lifts really tweek it, sucks. DBs dont mess with it too bad but BB does, go figure

stpete is offline Banned
    Man, i was just thinking about this last week. I haven't done bb bench since last november when i hurt my shoulder doing bb bench. Funny thing is, i gave up bb bench cause i think it's overrated and i know i get stronger from db's, but wanted to see where i was at. Anyway, ended up hurting my shoulder.
    So last week i went kinda heavy to gauge myself before i started this cycle and i did 140's x 8 to finish the exercise. I didn't have a spot or i would've went with another set.
    What does that calculate to?
    Good luck on your bench today and believe that you can lift it. Let us know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by stpete View Post
    Man, i was just thinking about this last week. I haven't done bb bench since last november when i hurt my shoulder doing bb bench. Funny thing is, i gave up bb bench cause i think it's overrated and i know i get stronger from db's, but wanted to see where i was at. Anyway, ended up hurting my shoulder.
    So last week i went kinda heavy to gauge myself before i started this cycle and i did 140's x 8 to finish the exercise. I didn't have a spot or i would've went with another set.
    What does that calculate to?
    Good luck on your bench today and believe that you can lift it. Let us know what happens.
    Thanks for the encouragement. According to the formula, you should be able to do 310-315 for 8 reps.

stpete is offline Banned
    Thanks man. Yea, i was doing 315 when i hurt my shoulder. I was trying to do 5x5, but quit after my 2nd set cause my shoulder was killing me.

I hit 275 for 9 with help on the last rep this previous Monday...So the formula was almost spot on for me.

right on man, good to know. goes to show u can still be strong without doing overrated BB benchpress all the damn time

Thread Information