Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    allout13 is offline Associate Member

1967 mustang? Or new car?

For a graduation present, my old folks are getting me a brand new car. I got 2 choices:
    1. 1967 ford mustang fastback black with black interior. Pretty nice but a little unreliable but overall pretty good condition.
    2. New/Used car with a price range up to $20,000. I really like the new camaros coming out but they start at $22,000. I was thinking maybe i could find a used one in a month or two for around $18,000.

Any other suggestions? Favorite cars? lemme hear it.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    go german!

my dad and his brother had that mustang back in the 70s (i think?) when they were at college. they were in cambridge, didn't drive much, and it got stolen. 2 others of them got stolen in the area too.

but german autos ftw for sure

T-MOS is offline Educate B4 You Medicate~HOF~RIP Our Brother~
    If it was a convertable I would have said mustang but....

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    '67 Mustangs fastbacks were ugly, imo.

I have a '65 sitting around that I tinker with.

I'm with T_own. Go German. Get a used ci with a 5 speed.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    With a budget of 20k below.

Personally I'll choose a new car less maintenance, new technology and no worries.

If you prefer 2nd hand I'd go for Mercedes Benz or BMW

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    wow....must be nice.....

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    wow....must be nice.....
    seriously!

UrRoyalHighness is offline Associate Member
    i would say a new 2009 lancer 5 speed. really reliable i have owned a 2002 and i now have a 2006 and i love it to death. if you wanna go more flashy maybe a bad ass lifted truck depending where you live

Quote Originally Posted by UrRoyalHighness View Post
    i would say a new 2009 lancer 5 speed. really reliable i have owned a 2002 and i now have a 2006 and i love it to death. if you wanna go more flashy maybe a bad ass lifted truck depending where you live
    evo or bust

I know i'd buy a badass diesel excursion....

jbm
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    I know i'd buy a badass diesel excursion....
    That's a huge one...

Darksyde is offline Member
    get a 1972 K Blazer and fix it up nice.

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by derek7m View Post
    '67 Mustangs fastbacks were ugly, imo.

I have a '65 sitting around that I tinker with.

I'm with T_own. Go German. Get a used ci with a 5 speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    With a budget of 20k below.

Personally I'll choose a new car less maintenance, new technology and no worries.

If you prefer 2nd hand I'd go for Mercedes Benz or BMW
    yes, the german economy needs our help.... please buy domestic.

sloth9 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allout13 View Post
    For a graduation present, my old folks are getting me a brand new car. I got 2 choices:
    1. 1967 ford mustang fastback black with black interior. Pretty nice but a little unreliable but overall pretty good condition.
    2. New/Used car with a price range up to $20,000. I really like the new camaros coming out but they start at $22,000. I was thinking maybe i could find a used one in a month or two for around $18,000.

Leave the stang alone, it isnt worth it, I mean they are still a dime a dozen. You will thank everyone when you get a new car, the v-6 camaro is supposed to have the v-6 from the cadillac cts and about 350 Hp great motor, but it my get put on the back burner again. I would look at a gm car personally cause america needs the money, if you are located in america, stay true to your economy. But I am telling you german made cars are awesome really well made, the plastic is very brittle after a year or 2 in texas heat though. I was a car stereo installer for along time, and well it was impossible to not break a panel in a european car that was 2 years or older. What ever car you decide on will be good, just watch used sports cars, and kia, suzuki, hyundai, and any other cheap car company. If I was to choose a foreign car it would be toyota, my tundra is the best truck I have had, it pulls an 18 foot travel trailer like nothing is back there, its very comfortable and the whole family has room. I know this didnt help but I would try to save some money up to help out and get the Camaro personally, but I thought it was gonna be around 24,000 for the v-6 and with all the bells and whistles 26,000 also remeber the dealer can ask what ever it wants.

Good luck and leave the mustang behind

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    if u want new get a BMW depending on how much u want to spent. If not to much get a honda or toyota.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Love my 330i. Got an 04 for 14,500. Only 60 thousand miles and never have a problem

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firmechicano831 View Post
    if u want new get a BMW depending on how much u want to spent. If not to much get a honda or toyota.
    you son of a bitch.

jbm
    How about a new ford focus?

stpete is offline Banned
    Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab.

PittBoy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Own View Post
    evo or bust
    STI>Evo

Though I shall drive through the valley of death I shall fear no Evo!!

LOL j/k Evo's are pretty nice. Tranny issues and they usually give you a hard time on warranty when parts break. On the upside you can make them faster for less dough.

I'd stay away from the stang. They look nice but new cars perform so much better. Trust me....I went from a beefed up 69 chevelle to a subaru and it was crazy!!

If you like sport and luxury why not go for a lexus IS 300. The new muscle cars to me are just disappointing too....unless you can get a SRT8....but at 22k I don't see it. You could always get a used C-5 vette......

So many options. Do some research and think about what you really want.

I am a caraholic!

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    get a car for 10k and put 10k in the bank....

there are alot of nice used cars for 10k or less, grab one and buy a shortsale home with the other 10k, or use as deposit....

think ahead

sloth9 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    How about a new ford focus?
    no to the ford fu*ced us they are crappy just like a mazda, junk if not taken care of, if you get new it will be a good car, but you can get way better cars for the price.

moose has a good point but, the dirty little but I think his parents are just gonna finance or buy him the car I doubt they will say here is 20 k go get you a car. I mean it is possible, allout if they do that for you take some money and put in the bank if you can work on a car and keep it running well, it will be worth it. If you cant work on a car then get a new one. I have such a heavy foot I kill the transmission on any car within a year. I killed my camaro's and t-bird's within 8 months. So depending on how you drive and your knowledge of cars i would get new cause you have a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by PittBoy View Post
    STI>Evo

Though I shall drive through the valley of death I shall fear no Evo!!

LOL j/k Evo's are pretty nice. Tranny issues and they usually give you a hard time on warranty when parts break. On the upside you can make them faster for less dough.

I'd stay away from the stang. They look nice but new cars perform so much better. Trust me....I went from a beefed up 69 chevelle to a subaru and it was crazy!!

If you like sport and luxury why not go for a lexus IS 300. The new muscle cars to me are just disappointing too....unless you can get a SRT8....but at 22k I don't see it. You could always get a used C-5 vette......

So many options. Do some research and think about what you really want.

I am a caraholic!
    NEVER!!!! the evo 9s just had the sti's, i'm not as sure about the new ones, but i think its still close. i just like the evo's more.

PittBoy is offline Associate Member
    NEVER!!!! the evo 9s just had the sti's, i'm not as sure about the new ones, but i think its still close. i just like the evo's more.
    They both are great cars and it just boils down to opinion really.

I do like the new evo body style better than the new STI body style.

Quote Originally Posted by PittBoy View Post
    They both are great cars and it just boils down to opinion really.

I do like the new evo body style better than the new STI body style.
    yeah thats true. i like the aggressive look of the old evos a lot. the subarus always seemed more conservative

and they both make some nice rally cars

Barium is offline New Member
    Go with a pimp sled bro. Youd be much happier with something Like a used Lexus than some mustang that may not start. Its not 1987 anymore, muscle cars are out.

NewMuscle83 is offline Member
    I have an 03 BMW M3 SMG. Best car I've ever owned. It looks sick, drives awesome, and SMG transmission is ****ing insane. You can definitely get a clean one under $20k nowadays... Just a suggestion.

christ you're all gay......let me say it again.....DIESEL EXCURSION

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN View Post
    you son of a bitch.

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    I have a 5 series bmw and a mitsu eclipse turbo. I would say go with the german.
    I like my E39 (1998-2003 5 series). if you do get a euro car make sure you get the sport package, they are amzing to drive.
    nothing domestic compares to german engineering. MY OPNION

goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by 48volts View Post
    I have an 03 BMW M3 SMG. Best car I've ever owned. It looks sick, drives awesome, and SMG transmission is ****ing insane. You can definitely get a clean one under $20k nowadays... Just a suggestion.
    no way you'll find an m3 under 20k

real manual > sequential manual. no clutch = automatic rofl

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Wow a car for graduation huh? I had to join the Army to get enough money for my first car. Enjoy it because from my experience people who have a car bought for them treat it like hell and it does not last long.

no way you'll find an m3 under 20k

real manual > sequential manual. no clutch = automatic rofl
    Funny comment coming from a "Formula1 Aficionado" considering the SMG is essentially the same transmission technology used in Formula 1 cars..but whatever. In any case, don't knock it till you try. I was a huge manual fan, and still am, but the SMG is out of this world. it is far from automatic, even though it has no clutch, it allows me to do a lot more than a manual car would.

I guess to each his own..

Oh, and btw.. http://www.cars.com/go/search/search...=&aff=national

Funny comment coming from a "Formula1 Aficionado" considering the SMG is essentially the same transmission technology used in Formula 1 cars..but whatever. In any case, don't knock it till you try. I was a huge manual fan, and still am, but the SMG is out of this world. it is far from automatic, even though it has no clutch, it allows me to do a lot more than a manual car would.

I guess to each his own..

Oh, and btw.. http://www.cars.com/go/search/search...=&aff=national
    i've driven it on a bmw, as well as the tiptronic on a bmw/mercedes/infiniti.

i don't DISlike it, i would take it over an auto, but i like normal manual much more. i know its along the lines of a f1 gearbox.... but not quite. the closest is the f430 scuderia that can change gears in under 70ms, faster than you can blink

and those are GREAT prices on the m3s..... i didn't think they would ever be that cheap for newer ones like that

i've driven it on a bmw, as well as the tiptronic on a bmw/mercedes/infiniti.

i don't DISlike it, i would take it over an auto, but i like normal manual much more. i know its along the lines of a f1 gearbox.... but not quite. the closest is the f430 scuderia that can change gears in under 70ms, faster than you can blink

and those are GREAT prices on the m3s..... i didn't think they would ever be that cheap for newer ones like that
    I believe my M3 changes gears in 0.08 seconds..which is 10ms slower than the f430. Still pretty effing fast considering I drive on normal streets, not the racing track. The regular manual is much more engaging, and therefore can be more exciting (that's why I'm working on 89 Mustang GT right now) but I still think the SMG can be fun as hell, given the handling and acceleration capabilities of the car.

As for the prices, because of the current economic downturn, luxury cars have taken a crazy hit..just like homes. I'm currently upside down in my car, which I bought for a GREAT deal AND put a down payment on. Sucks for me, but great news for people in the market for a luxury vehicle.

I believe my M3 changes gears in 0.08 seconds..which is 10ms slower than the f430. Still pretty effing fast considering I drive on normal streets, not the racing track. The regular manual is much more engaging, and therefore can be more exciting (that's why I'm working on 89 Mustang GT right now) but I still think the SMG can be fun as hell, given the handling and acceleration capabilities of the car.

As for the prices, because of the current economic downturn, luxury cars have taken a crazy hit..just like homes. I'm currently upside down in my car, which I bought for a GREAT deal AND put a down payment on. Sucks for me, but great news for people in the market for a luxury vehicle.
    that is pretty good, and i know the market is really helping out the buyers right now. i agree that the manual is more engaging which is why i prefer it. changing gears that fast doesn't really matter unless you are racing, imo, but with a manual it kinda keeps you occupied.

but i can imagine it would be nice to drop a couple gears right away and rev it up

VWbug66 is offline Senior Member
    CHEVROLET BABY...Something reliable for sure.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    must be nice

chicmagnet is offline Senior Member
    I think you need a brother!

PIGPEN8181 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allout13 View Post

I'd say it is a toss up. Older cars, easier to work on and not that complicated. Newer cars, everything is electronic and if you don't have the right programs, then you will either be there for hours trying to chase wires or no choice but to take the car to the shop and spend alot of money. Depends on if you are mechanically inclined or not. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information