kerrbear is offline New Member

off shore rigs gas/oil

so for the past few years ive wanted to work on an off shore rig. any location and job. ive done alot of searching online how ever every web site i come across seems to want money for them to help me and i cant help but feel they will do no good.

im from ireland as you can see but would like to work abroad. do any of you guys know what i would have to do to get work on one of these rigs or who i would have to call.

any help would be great thanks

Well lad.Can't help but was wondring,why an oil rig? Also does the Corrib Gas line not have an off shore rig, did you look into that?

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Dial 999 if your inside the UK, they will help...

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MATT View Post
    HAHA you kidder you.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MATT View Post
    I don't get it...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    I don't get it...
    999 is the english version of 911.

JimInAK is offline Member
    I've worked on many offshore platforms. To work there, you need to be employed by the owner, ie usually a big oil company OR work for a contractor. It's easier to get a job with a contractor. You will usually find the contractors in the local area nearest the oil field. They are always hiring and firing people.

You can go to the beach and watch for where the helicopters land. Talk with the people coming and going, if you can. The normal way to get a contractor job is by referral. So make friends with the guys who have been working offshore.

Otherwise, you can do what I've done... learn a trade. If you're a good pipe welder, industrial electrician, etc. that'll get you in.

The oilfield is a particularly ugly and ruthless business... if I had it to do all over again I think I would have taken a different career path, so I wouldn't have to play so many games with such ignorant people (a very high percentage of my coworkers are alcoholics... the Exxon Valdez oil spill was the work of a constantly intoxicated skipper). I suppose there are few places where you can play hide and seek for three thousand dollars a week like I have done, but paying your dues may not be worth it...

If you can think for yourself, this type of job will likely give you very little personal satisfaction. However, if you've been in the military (and enjoyed your service) or like to torture small helpless animals, this type of job could be your cup of tea.

Good luck.

Thread Information