RyanRoss is offline Associate Member

College Financial Aid / AAS arrest

I've never been on financial aid, I paid the last 2 years of school off myself through savings but I've got two more to go so I'm going to apply for financial aid and fill out my fafsa.

My arrest was BEFORE my application for financial aid......Now I know that if you get caught with drugs and are on financial aid, you lose it. But if I've an arrest for AAS without a conviction, or just end up with a misdemeanor charge will I not be able to get it?

If I go through this much school and lose it over a fvcking few cc's of test I'm going to kill myself!!!

Immortal Soldier is offline Anabolic Member
    I know about FASFA (grants and federal loans), and I believe you are fine.

Here is what I found off the site:

"Not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study). "

I’ve been convicted of a drug offense. Does this mean I won’t get any aid?

The question on the FAFSA regarding drug offenses asks about convictions for possessing or selling illegal drugs (not including alcohol and tobacco) if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study). When answering this question, do not count convictions that have been removed from your record. Also, do not count convictions that occurred before you turned 18, unless you were tried as an adult.

Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet

* To determine whether a drug offense affects your eligibility click here to go to the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet.

After you fill out the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet, your responses will result in one of these answers:

Answer Means
    1, No Eligible. Your eligibility for federal student aid is not affected.

2, Yes (partially during the year) Partially eligible. You will become eligible for federal aid during the school year. You can become eligible earlier in the school year if you complete an acceptable drug rehabilitation program.

3, Yes/Don't Know Ineligible / don't know. You are not eligible for federal aid for this school year unless you complete an acceptable drug rehabilitation program. You may still be eligible for state and school aid.

Even if you are not eligible for federal aid, you may be eligible for state aid or aid from your school financial aid office. If you become eligible for federal financial aid (for example, if your eligibility date arrives or if you complete an acceptable drug rehabilitation program), notify the financial aid administrator at your school. If you are convicted of possessing or selling drugs after you submit your FAFSA, you must notify your financial aid administrator immediately. You will lose your eligibility and be required to pay back all aid you received after your conviction.

If you have further questions, refer to the Customer Service page.

What is an acceptable drug rehabilitation program?

An acceptable drug rehabilitation program must include two unannounced drug tests. It must also:

* Be qualified to receive funds from federal, state, or local government, or a state-licensed insurance company.
    *Or

* Be administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court, or a state-licensed hospital, health clinic, or medical doctor.

Also do this, it will help determine your eligibility

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before013.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Soldier View Post
    I know about FASFA (grants and federal loans), and I believe you are fine.

Here is what I found off the site:

"Not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study). "

I’ve been convicted of a drug offense. Does this mean I won’t get any aid?

The question on the FAFSA regarding drug offenses asks about convictions for possessing or selling illegal drugs (not including alcohol and tobacco) if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study). When answering this question, do not count convictions that have been removed from your record. Also, do not count convictions that occurred before you turned 18, unless you were tried as an adult.

Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet

* To determine whether a drug offense affects your eligibility click here to go to the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet.

After you fill out the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet, your responses will result in one of these answers:

Answer Means
    1, No Eligible. Your eligibility for federal student aid is not affected.

2, Yes (partially during the year) Partially eligible. You will become eligible for federal aid during the school year. You can become eligible earlier in the school year if you complete an acceptable drug rehabilitation program.

3, Yes/Don't Know Ineligible / don't know. You are not eligible for federal aid for this school year unless you complete an acceptable drug rehabilitation program. You may still be eligible for state and school aid.

Even if you are not eligible for federal aid, you may be eligible for state aid or aid from your school financial aid office. If you become eligible for federal financial aid (for example, if your eligibility date arrives or if you complete an acceptable drug rehabilitation program), notify the financial aid administrator at your school. If you are convicted of possessing or selling drugs after you submit your FAFSA, you must notify your financial aid administrator immediately. You will lose your eligibility and be required to pay back all aid you received after your conviction.

If you have further questions, refer to the Customer Service page.

What is an acceptable drug rehabilitation program?

An acceptable drug rehabilitation program must include two unannounced drug tests. It must also:

* Be qualified to receive funds from federal, state, or local government, or a state-licensed insurance company.
    *Or

* Be administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court, or a state-licensed hospital, health clinic, or medical doctor.

Also do this, it will help determine your eligibility

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before013.htm
    Kudos bro, that's a great help thank you so much! You just took a huge load of my chest bro! Not sure if you know this either, but have you heard of students using financial aid to cover living expenses?

A friend of mine took out an extra 6k to pay his for his lease at an apartment 10 miles away from campus for his last year of college. If that's a possibility I'd definitely do that...it would be nice to take a slight breather this year after doing full time work and full time school and just do part time work.

Edit: I was going to submit this tonight just to get it started....GLAD I DIDN'T!!! If I am convicted of selling or possessing drugs after submission I will become ineligible more than likely. I should probably wait until this case is over with lol
    Last edited by RyanRoss; 10-18-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanRoss View Post
    Kudos bro, that's a great help thank you so much! You just took a huge load of my chest bro! Not sure if you know this either, but have you heard of students using financial aid to cover living expenses?

A friend of mine took out an extra 6k to pay his for his lease at an apartment 10 miles away from campus for his last year of college. If that's a possibility I'd definitely do that...it would be nice to take a slight breather this year after doing full time work and full time school and just do part time work.

Edit: I was going to submit this tonight just to get it started....GLAD I DIDN'T!!! If I am convicted of selling or possessing drugs after submission I will become ineligible more than likely. I should probably wait until this case is over with lol
    You can use the fiancial aid for just about everything.

What they do is either:

A) Mail you a check

B) Transfer the money to your bank account

Grants = Free money

Federal loans = gotta pay it back

But they both work the same way they pay you the money and you spend it on whatever you need to (food, books, gas, classes, housing, laptop, etc.) The money is usually divided and given to you per semester. So if you get 3,000 dollars of aid for a year they give you 1,500 at the beginning of Fall semester and 1,500 at the beginning of spring.

It's not like they monitor what you do with the money once you get.

You can use the fiancial aid for just about everything.

What they do is either:

A) Mail you a check

B) Transfer the money to your bank account

Grants = Free money

Federal loans = gotta pay it back

But they both work the same way they pay you the money and you spend it on whatever you need to (food, books, gas, classes, housing, laptop, etc.) The money is usually divided and given to you per semester. So if you get 3,000 dollars of aid for a year they give you 1,500 at the beginning of Fall semester and 1,500 at the beginning of spring.

It's not like they monitor what you do with the money once you get.
    Thanks for all of the info man its greatly appreciated. I never knew how it worked because I just used my savings. I didn't want to have a huge lump of debt to pay off after graduating. I found out I'm eligible for a pell grant too. My family makes less than 20k in a year. My mother inherited her home and only pulls in about $800 a month. She's well off to where she doesn't have to work. Home and vehicle are paid for, but she's on a tight budget of $800 a month. Crazy I know. I read they give them out to people who's families make 40k or less, but they prefer less than 20k. Maybe I'll get lucky and get one of those too

Thanks for all of the info man its greatly appreciated. I never knew how it worked because I just used my savings. I didn't want to have a huge lump of debt to pay off after graduating. I found out I'm eligible for a pell grant too. My family makes less than 20k in a year. My mother inherited her home and only pulls in about $800 a month. She's well off to where she doesn't have to work. Home and vehicle are paid for, but she's on a tight budget of $800 a month. Crazy I know. I read they give them out to people who's families make 40k or less, but they prefer less than 20k. Maybe I'll get lucky and get one of those too
    You're probably gonna get maximum amount of aid in both grants and loans because I know people who's parents made less than 40K and they got maximum grant money and the maximum amount offered on loans..

You're probably gonna get maximum amount of aid in both grants and loans because I know people who's parents made less than 40K and they got maximum grant money and the maximum amount offered on loans..
    Do they look at savings and assets? My mother and fathers home is paid for because she inherited it, and owns her vehicle. She's a nice chunk of money saved, but shite income. Just wondering if they take that into consideration or if its solely just income

Do they look at savings and assets? My mother and fathers home is paid for because she inherited it, and owns her vehicle. She's a nice chunk of money saved, but shite income. Just wondering if they take that into consideration or if its solely just income
    It is based off your parent's tax return for that year (ie. 2008, 2009 tax return) so if savings and assets are included on a tax return than I assume it will affect it, but I am not certain. Either way you should get some money.

It is based off your parent's tax return for that year (ie. 2008, 2009 tax return) so if savings and assets are included on a tax return than I assume it will affect it, but I am not certain. Either way you should get some money.
    I wish I could give you some rep points or something. Or a bottle of test, bag of chicken, or tub of protein. You've been more than helpful bro. I owe you!!

powerful intelligent is offline Associate Member
    make sure you file for independent student status. you will have more aid available. Also, take to a finacial aid officer of the school you are applying to. Some states have additional grants for students regardless of the background you are in.

laduem88 is offline Senior Member
    you should have raped or murdered someone instead of getting caught with aas bro! then you wouldn't have to worry about not getting financial aid.

some country we live in

OPTIMATRIX is offline New Member
    Good luck with the case and in your remaining studies. What are you majoring in?
    Last edited by OPTIMATRIX; 11-06-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Thread Information