Tambit24 is offline Member

why do union workers hate non union workers

Really WTF. First day on the job and my truck gets keyed. hey maybe it was some punks walking by, but then two more co-workers get their cars keyed as well the next day. Not to mention the shit I had to listen to while trying to do my job in the same room as them. I mean I need to work just as much. My wife and kids need food on their plates too. I don't choose where I work or what I do. Why the **** do I have to deal with your miserable life. I just wanna take a gun into work and start spraying people down.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I don't hate non-union workers. When they get treated like $hit all day by their bosses and have to worry everyday about losing their job i just snicker.

GuybrushThreepwod is offline Associate Member
    IMO... It's jealousy. They just wish that they had the drive and endurance to work half as hard as the non-union guys. Instead they sit around with their thumbs up their asses, get fat, and waste money. They seriously waste more time and man hours than any body of workers on the face of the planet. They also have some weird sense of entitlement. Cocky pieces of trash. Although, if I had the opportunity, I'd join in a heartbeat! You can't beat the great pay and awesome benefits. Although they're still scum.

westco28 is offline Junior Member
    i dont hate non union i just dont understand why they would put up with all the bs that goes with it i am a union ironworker and very proud of what i do i put one of the first bolts in the broncos stadium, i hung the "reliant stadium" sign on the houston texans stadium, ive worked all over the usa so tell me how i could do that non union. unions are the only way to go!

Reciever84 is offline Junior Member
    Tell us how you really feel LOL. You're being a little harsh there. I'm a project manager and hire and work with both. Both are very good but a "good" union contractor will build circles around a "good" non-union outfit. They just cost a whole hell of a lot more and more often then not we can't afford to use them while winning a bid for a project at the same time. It's a fine line. It's the continuing training that makes the difference.
    Last edited by Reciever84; 08-27-2009 at 07:59 PM.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    Working as a contractor in electrical line work you have to deal with union hands that have some pretty bad attitudes, then some of the hands aren't that bad.

I don't get into with them, we gotta do what we gotta do to eat, and they gotta do what they gotta do. That's how I look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I don't hate non-union workers. When they get treated like $hit all day by their bosses and have to worry everyday about losing their job i just snicker.
    haha wouldn't snicker to much, I know just as many guys that are union laid off as I do non union. Pretty bad times right now homeyo

c-Z
    c-Z is offline Educate B4 You Medicate (RIP T)
    Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx View Post
    haha wouldn't snicker to much, I know just as many guys that are union laid off as I do non union. Pretty bad times right now homeyo
    True as hell... My cuz was in carpenters union.... And was laid off so many times.

GuybrushThreepwod is offline Associate Member
    I was a little harsh there. I know that there are lazy people everywhere, in the Union or not. I only speak from my personal experience. As an electrician also, the union workers I have run across have lots of "book" knowledge but don't really know how to get the job done quickly and efficiently. They seem to over analyze, thereby taking a lot longer to complete a task. Both outfits have their places though. I would never hire a Union shop to wire a house or a small business, and on the other hand, I would never hire a Non-Union shop to wire any large commercial facility. I don't know why they would key your car though. I don't care who you work for. That's just plain F'd up. If you can catch them though, you could sue the S out of them!

c-Z
    c-Z is offline Educate B4 You Medicate (RIP T)
    Sue the S out of them for keying your car???

No.... most cases they will get a slap on the wrist and have to pay for damages.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    someone keys my truck i'd lay in wait for them and kill them...simple as that....you don't **** with someone else's property

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx View Post
    In these times your right. Im talking about management BS. Where you are threatened to loose your job over dumb $hit.

Quote Originally Posted by c-Z View Post
    Sue the S out of them for keying your car???

No.... most cases they will get a slap on the wrist and have to pay for damages.
    i like kill them better...

What exactly happened, are you "scabbin" at a strike or something?

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Union people worked worked worked to even have the right to negotiate with an employer as a group. Union people were shot & killed while working for that right. Union people shed blood so that they could get decent wages for their labor. Union people contribute a small % of their income to fund the operation of the union (lawyers, overhead, etc) and maintain their membership as a pledge to work or strike with everyone else at their place of employment.

And here you come along, not a member, not helping to pay the continuing expenses of the union operation, not pledging to stand with the union should the need arise to strike. And all the while, you're benefiting from the blood, sweat, and tears shed by the union members in years past.

When a strike is called, if you defy the union's call, then you're a scab. Helping the company break the union. And helping the company to set the union members back to where they were back in the 1800's.

Ever read "Confessions of a Union Buster" written by a union buster named Martin Jay Levitt?
    Check it out:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/09/05/bu...confesses.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_buster

I won't say that union demands are always justified, and I won't say that management work practices are always justified. I will say that the legal right for a group of employees to band together and work as one unit as a union does indeed level the legal playing field when it comes to sorting out greivances.

Sure, unions have their shortcomings, but working without a union for company managers that are ripping off workers, or putting worker's health or lives at risk isn't an ideal job, either.

If I were you, I'd probably join the union, and attend its meetings to make sure it was being properly managed. If you don't like unions, you ought to read up on the history of unions and see what tremendous improvements they have brought to the American workplace. Things like the 40-hour week, time and 1/2 for overtime, the elimination of child labor, etc. Unions have had their problems too; they aren't angels of deliverance.
    But American workers are better off for having supported them. Your wages today are much better than they would otherwise be, if it weren't for unions. To keep the benefits going for you and other workers in the future, a small % of your paycheck would be reasonable.

Other countries allow rich companies to run roughshod over their employees. Ya, read a few books on the subject, educate yourself on the issue, and then decide whether you prefer being kept isolated in your company factory, having to live and pay rent in the company apartment house, having to buy your food and clothes from the company stores, and only getting away from the company only when they allow you to go. Not a pretty thing, but that's how things used to be in the US. That's how they are in some foreign countries today, and all it would take to put a stop to that nonsense is a good independant union.

Yeah, educate yourself on the issue. Then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambit24 View Post
    Really WTF. First day on the job and my truck gets keyed. hey maybe it was some punks walking by, but then two more co-workers get their cars keyed as well the next day. Not to mention the shit I had to listen to while trying to do my job in the same room as them. I mean I need to work just as much. My wife and kids need food on their plates too. I don't choose where I work or what I do. Why the **** do I have to deal with your miserable life. I just wanna take a gun into work and start spraying people down.
    Last edited by Tock; 08-27-2009 at 08:58 PM.

SayIWont21 is offline Associate Member
    yea here in texas, there isnt much of a strong labor union here, at least thats what my good friend tells me which hes a mason cause we both got hired as brick layers in dallas and we wur only making 15 dollars an hour and he thougt it was bull shit considering he was from washington and he said there in the union, he was makin bout 34 dollars an hour to lay brick and it was awesome workin for the union

CBGB is offline Senior Member
    The Union in my line of work is weak. I make well above prevailing wage. I still don't make an awfull lot, but it would be close to a $4 an hour loss if we brought them in.

I do see the history behind them, but around here I wonder if the time has passed. It seems to me that a lot of the time they serve to protect the weak. Your employer should have the right to can your ass if your an idiot. Again this is in my industry, in my area.

I also have a good friend that's a Union pipefitter. He makes some serious jack...when he's working. He's fighting to keep his house right now because he hasn't worked in six months. Maybe it's just the economy. I know of a local plumbing outfit that is hiring but he wont apply out of fear of loosing his benifits, pension, whatever happens when you jump ship.

We also might look at recent history. General Motors anyone?

Back to the Op's origional problem. You catch someone keying your car. Beat them fvcking sensless!

westco28 is offline Junior Member
    well said tock

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Union workers are some lazy mofo's. Once I was talking to a technician in tewksbury and he was helping me by being my hands on site if I needed him and I ask him to reboot a server because it froze in the middle of my update. He actually said "that's not my job, I can't do it." LAZY SOB...hiding behind job title's and such....th eonly reason we are loosing jobs to every other country is because we seem to think that we can sit here and demand this and demand that and companies won't say "f*ck this, i'm taking it overseas".

Down here in the south...you work hard long hours and you do your job and whatever else you have to do to get the job done. For those lazy people who have never heard of it, it's called "Work Ethic".... to translate for northerners, it's called "Doing other people's jobs" for you guys i think.

thank you zimmy.....good to oppose the retarded viewpoint above....

the day of the union is WAYYYYYYYYYY past.....now all they're doing is contributing to job loss by forcing companies to pay them more than they deserve for their various "skills".....that in turn raises prices of products.....company can't sell as much at the higher price....bam....has to cut jobs....pretty simple

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    Union workers are some lazy mofo's. Once I was talking to a technician in tewksbury and he was helping me by being my hands on site if I needed him and I ask him to reboot a server because it froze in the middle of my update. He actually said "that's not my job, I can't do it." LAZY SOB...hiding behind job title's and such....th eonly reason we are loosing jobs to every other country is because we seem to think that we can sit here and demand this and demand that and companies won't say "f*ck this, i'm taking it overseas".

Down here in the south...you work hard long hours and you do your job and whatever else you have to do to get the job done. For those lazy people who have never heard of it, it's called "Work Ethic".... to translate for northerners, it's called "Doing other people's jobs" for you guys i think.

I agree with the first half of that.

Blog Entries
    I have worked for some real @$$hole bosses and being in the union makes things so much easier stress wise. The bad part about the union is they fight for the lazy a$$es just as much as they will for me but oh well. Nothing is perfect.

I have worked for some real @$$hole bosses and being in the union makes things so much easier stress wise. The bad part about the union is they fight for the lazy a$$es just as much as they will for me but oh well. Nothing is perfect.
    Honestly, that is my biggest problem with them. I have seen to many idiots and lazy motherfvckers stick around only because they know how to work the system.

I saw a guy with a shirt on that said "If threatened! Will strike!" Probably the laziest fvcker of the group!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
    Honestly, that is my biggest problem with them. I have seen to many idiots and lazy motherfvckers stick around only because they know how to work the system.

I saw a guy with a shirt on that said "If threatened! Will strike!" Probably the laziest fvcker of the group!
    Trust me i see it all the time. I have lazy guys that get into trouble all the time and end up losing their job. The union fights, gets their job back and what do they do ? Get into the same trouble again. My union rep knows who these guys are and he will fight for them but not as hard anymore.

Tambit24 is offline Member
    not a scab, its half union, half non on the site. I was just sent there cause they are behind and my forman got into it with the sheetrockers(union) cause we still had some stuff to do in the room they were working in. I had just gotten there

UPS union guys work their butts off. I worked one Xmas season there loading trucks, and JHC, never worked so hard before or since.

On the other hand, office workers, most of whom are not unionized, spend a big % of their day in idle chit-chat, mostly talking about lazy union workers.

IMHO, unions are basically good, because collective bargaining with an employer levels out the worker-employer negotiating field. If a business owner puts their employee's health at risk by making them work in an unsafe work environment, then all the employees can say, "Fix it, or else we strike," and the company can't just fire one employee at a time and whittle away at the workforce. I've been in non-union factories where people were routinely overexposed to toxic chemicals, and one 50-ish lady timidly asked me, "My doctor says I have lung growths; do you think it would be ok if I showed him a list of the chemicals I work with?" Two years later, she was dead. But the people working in that factory are still routinely overexposed to toxic crap, and nobody wants to be the first to complain about it because they all need their jobs, and don't want to get fired.
    A good union would fix that.

I gave a lot of thought to starting a union there, but ultimately decided against it. Support for a union was broad, because everybody resented the managers, but shallow, because Texans have the odd notion that unions and communism go hand in hand. And even though the CEO & etc all collected multi-millions of $$$ in salary and benefits, a lot of them didn't want to contribute one or two hours of wages $$$ a month to fund a union because the union officials made $450,000 a year (this was about 10 years ago).

Crazy dumb. They'd much rather breathe in toxic crap than form a union and save their lungs.

Skippa is offline Junior Member
    yeah i agree DSM, bosses think twice about fu*%ing around someone in the union. Where i work when we go out the gate our plant loses $1 000 000+ a day with loss of production and shut down and start up costs. If they make a stupid decision with a worker and there is action, they going to be in trouble.

Trouble is like you said you get idiots who pay there union fees and then slack off. Got a guy at work who i hear once a week say "nah fu*k this ill go to the union if he dosent sort his attitude out" <--- HAHAHA what a knob.

Unions to me are about making sure the employee are getting what they deserve and help them feel protected in there workplace. We spent 11 months negotiating our enterprise agreement and got a nice steady pay increase over 3 years and employment incentives.

Because of the union i now work in a well payed and very safe environment, thats not "production, production, production" It's Safety first

Reason there is union and non union tension is unions have to fight for there wage, intensives and security of workplace where non union accept the conditions of work set by the employer.

Also tension begins when union members are on strike to fix a problem such as unfair dismissal and safety requirements and nonunion members still come in and work. Hence the nick name "scabs"

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Unions are one of the biggest reasons that the state of New Jersey has such exceedingly high taxes. They are often awarded no bid contracts to do jobs at 2x to 3x the cost that a non-union contractor could do the job for. Unions pay laborers way way way WAY more than their time is worth. For instance, in New Jersey, laborers in the brick layers union get paid $32 an hour, to lay bricks or carry bags of mortar. If you add in their entire benefits package they are probably charging somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 an hour per worker on the job site. They also protect lazy incompetent workers from being fired.

Unions have served their purpose. There is now enough worker protection legislation on the books that unions are no longer necessary IMO. Specifically in New Jersey, unions use strong arm tactics against non-union company's especially during bids. For instance, a friend of mines father owns an electrical contracting company in New Jersey. His company outbid the union for a job. When my buddy went to open up the shop early in the morning a few days later, 3 large men came and beat the living shit out of him. Unions don't have a really good way to overcome the 'free rider' dilemma. It is the same reason that bad teachers are able to keep their jobs because of the teachers union and tenure.

I highly dislike unions based on my own personal experience, as well as Democrats and liberals.

There are bad eggs in management as well as in unions. Here in Texas one of the primary ways that workers die in construction is when they're digging in the ground, and the ground caves in on them. OSHA requires the companies to use braces to prevent cave-ins, but some companies won't use them, because of cost. So those company managements deserve the unions that form to protect their worker's safety.

I've seen non-union production shops where half the workers were slackers. Seemed to me that if a non-union company let its employees slack off, that was a sure sign of poor management. I've seen union shops where things were run on a tight schedule, and the union employees were happy as clams, very productive, making everybody lots of profit and making the customers happy.

Really, it all boils down to how skilled the company management is. Lousy managers allow for lazy workers in both union and non-union shops. Good managers know how to make their employees productive, and their employees won't vote to unionize.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Unions have served their purpose. There is now enough worker protection legislation on the books that unions are no longer necessary IMO.
    Lots of legislation, for sure. But there's hardly enough funding for enforcement.

I was in a factory where people were routinely overexposed to toxic chemicals, the managers refused to allow workers to know what they were working with, the managers didn't understand what they were working with, the safety engineer answered directly to the production manager and wouldn't contradict anything the managers said. People were getting sick, going to the hospital, safety precautions were being methodically eliminated (cost savings), and OSHA had 17 field investigators to cover all of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Not only do they not have the budget to do random inspections, they won't investigate accidents unless people die.

IMHO, OSHA needs more funding to keep things on the up-and-up.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's just hate. Any one of these guys would hate the other if they where Union or non union. I have worked both many times. It's just a job and it's just the rules. Who cares if it's Union or non union. There was a time it was needed and there was a time it was 99% mafia run. Some jobs it works for some it doesnt.

kickinit is offline Member
    ME? I could careless I'm union, but I would proudly be NON-union again doesn't matter to me.

Keying cars is pretty chicken shit, union or not I would beat some ass.

Are you in construction or what?

Thread Information