den5 is offline New Member

More About Bigorexia

I posted this in another forum but because the topic has come up here I decided to repeat it.
    I have been involved with bodybuilding for about 40 years. I got involved when the only protein powders around were Joe Weider's and the Bob Hoffman stuff.
    I'm 58, 5'9" and was happy for some time at 170-175. When I was 17 I weighed 188 and thought I wasn't big enough. I was totally obsessed with bodybuiding in high school. I attended the MR. Olympia in 1965 and 66 when Larry Scott won. My weight has fluctuated over the years according to my interest.
    Recently I decided to "get big" again. I quickly got my weight back up to about 185 (muscle memory). I then decided I would see if I could get bigger than I've ever been. Its amazing how fast some issues came back. I thought I had resolved these issues but I again became obsessed with eating and force-feeding, lifting very heavy ( to the point of taking some stupid risks), becoming fearful of missing a meal or of not sleeping, fearful of missing a workout, constantly questioning if I'm lifting too much or too little, analyzing workouts for flaws, seeing myself as small compared to pros, etc.
    I'm married 30 years to a woman I love very much. She asked me recently to not gain any more weight. I just nodded my head. I found myself saying to myself later that night "to hell with her, I'm just going to gain 5 more pounds." I now know that gaining the 5 would mean wanting to gain another 5, etc. It also hurt and surprised me that I was talking about her this way.
    After getting a lttle bigger than I've ever been I woke up recently at 3am and the first thing I thought was "I'm making myself sick with this, I'm totally obsessed with this again." I also had begun to eat for function rather than enjoyment. I felt bad that I had begun eating food I didn't like but felt I needed.
    I've learned that this can be a full blown addiction for me. I've never cycled nor do I intend to. Frankly, I'm afraid of what I would do with it. I have a history of drug addiction and alcoholism and thanks to a 12 step program I have not touched alcohol or drugs in 30 years(I'm not bragging, I was helped by many people). It has helped me to use what I've learned there and apply it to bodybuilding and believe me I don't like it. I wanted to believe I can control this by myself and found, to my surprise, that I can't. I see a therapist for other issues but because he is also an addiction counselor he has helped me with this. I don't like therapists but this addiction counselor has helped me see that this is a problem I need to change. They don't have to be bodybuilders to understand. Its very painful to be obsessed with this. I stopped enjoying my wife(as I said, she started to annoy me) and lost interest in other things that I'm usually into. I cut back on my workouts and lowered the food intake and I feel better physically and mentally. This was starting to cost me more than I bargained for.
    I'm not trying to sell therapy or anything else. Its just my experience with "bigorexia." Who's going to win the Mr. O?

sizerp is offline Banned
    Dude, if you want to be big, do it. If that is what makes you happy (sounds like it) than Fing do it. I am not saying you should disrespect your wife, or trying to persuade you to juice... but... it seems like BBing has been a passion of yours for a long time, so why not just accept it?

We're some of the most health-concious people on the planet. It's something you should be proud of. If you have OCD issues, maybe talk to someone about how to not freak when you miss a meal etc.

All you though man, it's your body, not your wives... no matter how much she'd like to debate that.

Wives aren't permanent.

Thread Information