Merc. is offline Banned

New Study: Probiotics shown to mitigate depression and anxiety

Very interesting read about Probiotics and depression and anxiety .. Check it out ....

New Study: Probiotics shown to mitigate depression and anxiety

New research at the University of Toronto, found that a two month protocol of probiotics not only boosted chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) patients "good" bacteria in the gut but also led to a significant decrease in their depression and anxiety symptoms.

It has long been known that probiotics, “Good bacteria” taken in pill or powder form, help maintain healthy gut flora beneficial to general health. Countless studies have shown them to perform a wide variety of healthy functions, including improved digestion, regularity, and improved immune system functioning. But, this new study, published in the journal BMC Gut Pathogens breaks new ground, specifically their effect on the feel-good neurotransmitter L-tryptophan. "We were quite excited with the fact that these were positive results and we felt that probiotics truly have a role to play in the management of neurophysiological disorders such as anxiety, such as depression and other symptoms associated with that," said Rao, the research leader. "Rather than going into medications, which may result in side effects, it's a safe, it's a very easy way to manage problems such as that."

The study, led by A. Venket Rao and co-authored by Dr. Alison C. Bested, administered 39 CFS patients either three doses of Lactobacillus casei Shirota a day, or a placebo, for two months. They found that 73 per cent of subjects taking the probiotic experienced an increase in levels of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria in the gut, which corresponded with a significant decrease in anxiety symptoms. In the placebo group, only 37.5 per cent showed an increase in Bifidobacteria, while only 43.8 per cent showed an increase in Lactobacillus bacteria. The researchers found no statistically significant change in anxiety symptoms among this group.

Dr. Alison C. Bested, the co-author of the study, says Bifidobacteria appears to increase levels of tryptophan in the brain, a chemical that 'helps people feel better.'
    Rao and Bested believe that probiotics "crowd out" the more toxic stomach bacteria linked to depression and other mood disorders. “Bifidobacteria appears to increase levels of tryptophan in the brain, a chemical that "helps people feel better." Patients taking the probiotic also showed a marked improvement in their digestion, experiencing less bloating and gas and a reduction in inflammation. The findings are "huge," Bested said. "The subjects felt less anxious, they felt calmer, they felt better able to cope with their illness, they were sleeping better, had fewer heart palpitations and less symptoms of anxiety," she said. "We were pleasantly surprised, that people who were taking probiotics were able to lower their anxiety."

Rao explained that the good bacteria produce "compounds that get to the brain and help the brain to manage problems associated with behavioural and mood problems, such as anxiety and depression." He said the findings open "a door to a whole new field, and that is the relationship of gut micro flora, or gut bacteria, to many disorders - mental disorders being one of them. So it opens a door to many future research and applications in this area .

Merc.

Monster87 is offline Member
    ^^^Sounds like a much better alternative then slamming your body with a bunch of SSRIs and anxiolytics.

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    interesting....where do you find all these studies?

Merc. is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster87 View Post
    ^^^Sounds like a much better alternative then slamming your body with a bunch of SSRIs and anxiolytics.
    Yea .. anti Depressants are messed up IMO..

Dr Marty Hinz has the leading research on treating Neurotransmitter dysfunction ( using amino acids)..

I started a thread about it awhile back if you wanna check it out ... Here is a link ..

Neuro Research , Neuro Replete

Merc.

Merc. is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peachfuzz View Post
    interesting....where do you find all these studies?
    LOL.. I work at a lab ( like for a living )... sometimes all I do is read medical studies all day.( it depends on what kinda work we are doing )..

And I have been personally researching AAS for over 10 years ( So I have quite the database ) ..

Merc.

Merc. is offline Banned
    Question ??

Do a lot of you peeps on here take probiotics and or digestive enzymes ( like betaine HCl) ??

Merc.
    Last edited by Merc.; 10-28-2009 at 07:02 PM.

ADB007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc. View Post
    Question ??

Do a lot of you peeps on here take probiotics and or digestive enzymes ( like betaine HCl) ??

Merc.
    I do

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster87 View Post
    Im guilty of that lol

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    Question ??

Merc.
    I use to then they did studies over here and said they were useless so i stopped

Merc. is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sigman roid View Post
    I use to then they did studies over here and said they were useless so i stopped
    Very interesting Siggy ...

I know there were some conflicting studies done , but the latest research seems to show that they are effective ( especially if you have recently used a antibiotic . which antibiotics are known to kill healthy stomach bacteria )..

If you have time one day could you post or send me a link to those studies ?? I think it is a interesting topic .... Thanks Siggy...

Merc.

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    Very interesting Siggy ...

I know there were some conflicting studies done , but the latest research seems to show that they are effective ( especially if you have recently used a antibiotic . which antibiotics are known to kill healthy stomach bacteria )..

If you have time one day could you post or send me a link to those studies ?? I think it is a interesting topic .... Thanks Siggy...

Merc.
    Its not actually something i read Merc, there was a big thing made about the way they were advertising probiotics and the claimed health benefits you get from them,companies over here are no longer allowed to say that probiotics do this or do that as studies that were done showed no health benefit from them,it was something that was on the television a few months back Merc

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    I tend to take them on and off....having read that though i'm going to make a concerted effort to keep on them regularly now

Merc. is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sigman roid View Post
    Its not actually something i read Merc, there was a big thing made about the way they were advertising probiotics and the claimed health benefits you get from them,companies over here are no longer allowed to say that probiotics do this or do that as studies that were done showed no health benefit from them,it was something that was on the television a few months back Merc
    Dam .. Intrestering indeed ...

Merc.

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    i know this is an old thread but since my buddy got sponsored by PRE its like a probiotic enhancer (a drink), anyone been told good stuff about this?

Charlie6 is offline Senior Member
    never heard of it man, got a website?

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    http://www.preusa.com/ i basically got like 70 of these things and i can get as any more as i want. They got like 20 cals per bottle.

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned
    Damn. I still wish Merc was around.

-VM

marymn is offline New Member
    Any other updates sigman and merc..
    you both gave us a real interesting information.

Drug Rehab

Thread Information