energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference

Career choice...

im at the very begining of choosing a career...and confused in what to aim for...im 28 and i know that seems late to begin starting a career but i figure its never to late...aslong as your willing to put time and effort into it......ive been in the engineering industry since leaving school (mainly elec and mech) im qualified in both those fields....but i dont enjoy it and dont want to pursue it......ive got a few ideas myself....IT industry.....Arboricultural/conservation industry.....sports/nutrition industry.....maybe even Animal/agricultaral industry.........alot of variation but these are the things im interested in.

obviously id like to make a decent wage(im not greedy so im not after becoming rich, just comfortable)

just wondering if anyone has experience in any of the above fields? i.e hoilday, wage, daily work, travelling needed. Anyhthing else you can think of.

also if you could start again what career would you choose?(doesnt have to be from the above) and why?

cheers....

dangerous dan is offline Anabolic Member
    i was i could go back a few year and do somthing in law or somthing like that

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    I would have loved to become a pilot.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by *El Diablo* View Post
    I would have loved to become a pilot.
    what do you do now?

Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
    what do you do now?
    I am a certified Java and Oracle Developer, but i work at the largest insurance firm in South Africa being a Business Analyst, its not the most exiting job ever, but it pays well and i have loads of other benefits.

I am a certified Java and Oracle Developer, but i work at the largest insurance firm in South Africa being a Business Analyst, its not the most exiting job ever, but it pays well and i have loads of other benefits.
    sounds cool

i thought you worked in construction??? may have been someone else

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dan View Post
    sounds cool

i thought you worked in construction??? may have been someone else
    HaHa!.. i used to when living in London, 21quid an hour. Yes please.

what on earth did you do???????

So how did you go about getting this career? did you go to uni? what did you study? business or IT or Both?

Thats some fuken wage!! what were you doing?

Thats some fuken wage!! what were you doing?
    I was working night shift, 11pm till 7am in the morning, building McDonalds, i also used to work in the Underground as Shift Manager, and i knew absolute Fuxall about anything, but i was reliable and worked my ass off and thats how i got that job.

nice ......maybe one day it will be my time

So how did you go about getting this career? did you go to uni? what did you study? business or IT or Both?
    After school I went to a College, started off with my A+ certificate, then did my MCSE, then MSCD ( all in 1 year) its easy, then i done Oracle in a year and learned Java doing my practical, u start off with a livable salary but after 2 years u move from Junior Developer to senior Developer and ull double ur salary, then my company needed Business Analysts and i opted for it, they paid for it, and i do that in 1 year.
    So if u work a little hard for 5 years ull set yourself for live.

After school I went to a College, started off with my A+ certificate, then did my MCSE, then MSCD ( all in 1 year) its easy, then i done Oracle in a year and learned Java doing my practical, u start off with a livable salary but after 2 years u move from Junior Developer to senior Developer and ull double ur salary, then my company needed Business Analysts and i opted for it, they paid for it, and i do that in 1 year.
    So if u work a little hard for 5 years ull set yourself for live.
    Interesting.....how does work fit into your life? social time, gym time? do you have to travell much?

Lil_bodybuilder is offline Junior Member
    Well as for me. Qualified electrical eng. And paper machine operator. . . . Now unemployed. Looking to get into telecomunications engineering. . . . Hope i do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_bodybuilder View Post
    Well as for me. Qualified electrical eng. And paper machine operator. . . . Now unemployed. Looking to get into telecomunications engineering. . . . Hope i do.
    im the same mate (only upto ONC didnt want to go any higher), my step dad is in the Telecom business, hes allways away from home, think wage is good ....hes pretty advanced tho..

Interesting.....how does work fit into your life? social time, gym time? do you have to travell much?
    U see thats whats cool.
    I have a corporate Gym here at work, fully functional and private which i go and train at 12:30pm till 13:50pm (lunchtime)
    I work from 08:30am till around 17:00pm and if i still need to finish anything off i log in from home and finish what needs be. I used to travel a bit more but this year ive only travelled x 2 , and its usually for a week a shot, all paid for bye the company anyhow.
    I have weekends to myself, i dont drink alcohol and sh*t but if my chick doest complain then i take the bike to the track, thats how i get my sh*t on.
    The thing is that i did, when i was younger, i used to work my fvking ass off, just to show what uve made of, and show that ur trustworthy etc, and reap the rewards a little later in life.

U need to come up to Gauteng, ull have more opportunity here.

Ahhh well im tired of sitting on my ass and having dry pockets bro. . . . Need a good income now to fund my eating. Lol. . . Costing my mum and gf to much to feed me. Plus supplements are damn expensive. . . . Well we just got to start at the bottom and work hard. Make our lives what we want it to be

U need to come up to Gauteng, ull have more opportunity here.
    yeah bro i know. Im getting married next year. So me and my gal will be moving up there.

U see thats whats cool.
    I have a corporate Gym here at work, fully functional and private which i go and train at 12:30pm till 13:50pm (lunchtime)
    I work from 08:30am till around 17:00pm and if i still need to finish anything off i log in from home and finish what needs be. I used to travel a bit more but this year ive only travelled x 2 , and its usually for a week a shot, all paid for bye the company anyhow.
    I have weekends to myself, i dont drink alcohol and sh*t but if my chick doest complain then i take the bike to the track, thats how i get my sh*t on.
    The thing is that i did, when i was younger, i used to work my fvking ass off, just to show what uve made of, and show that ur trustworthy etc, and reap the rewards a little later in life.
    That sounds ideal for me (im not stupid enough to think it will all be good and i know dif companies will treat you different) but i like what i read.....

Ok 1 more question.....whats the actuall daily work like?..technicall, manual, boring, fun etc etc..

Ahhh well im tired of sitting on my ass and having dry pockets bro. . . . Need a good income now to fund my eating. Lol. . . Costing my mum and gf to much to feed me. Plus supplements are damn expensive. . . . Well we just got to start at the bottom and work hard. Make our lives what we want it to be
    couldnt agree more mate!!

That sounds ideal for me (im not stupid enough to think it will all be good and i know dif companies will treat you different) but i like what i read.....

Ok 1 more question.....whats the actuall daily work like?..technicall, manual, boring, fun etc etc..
    I would say, challenging, sometimes it might become a little monotonous, but i think ull get that in any job, u would definitly need to think technical, but more along the lines of "what would work the best way" for other people, if ur getting what im saying

I would say, challenging, sometimes it might become a little monotonous, but i think ull get that in any job, u would definitly need to think technical, but more along the lines of "what would work the best way" for other people, if ur getting what im saying
    El Diablo...thanks for your replies mate...appreciated

chuckt12345 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    how much is quid to $

thats about $35

El Diablo...thanks for your replies mate...appreciated
    Pleasure mate,if u can think a little "out the box" and arent scared of a little hard work, then go for it. The choice is urs to make it work.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    I've been thinking of joining the military(us) and becoming a helicopter pilot.

BRITISH ANABOLIC is offline Associate Member
    CARPET FITTING!!

Dude i cant stress this anymore, i worked 5 days around 6-8 hours aday and took home £930 last week.

It roughly works out at £30 an hour and because im self employed i choose my hours, i usually do 4-6 hours aday. Its so easy and so quick to learn and yet so underrated.

Plus theres perks like i goto a different house every hour or two so im always meeting people, and im always warm and clean and have people making me drinks all day.

Best career choice i ever made im 23 and in 2 years i plan to own my own shop so i can fit for it and earn the money from the side from what gets sold.

Quote Originally Posted by BRITISH ANABOLIC View Post
    CARPET FITTING!!

Dude i cant stress this anymore, i worked 5 days around 6-8 hours aday and took home £930 last week.

It roughly works out at £30 an hour and because im self employed i choose my hours, i usually do 4-6 hours aday. Its so easy and so quick to learn and yet so underrated.

Plus theres perks like i goto a different house every hour or two so im always meeting people, and im always warm and clean and have people making me drinks all day.

Best career choice i ever made im 23 and in 2 years i plan to own my own shop so i can fit for it and earn the money from the side from what gets sold.
    Sounds good....but ive got a mate who has his own business in carpet fitting and hes not doing that well....i supose it comes down to were your from and how hard your willing to work..........but maybe i might look into it as a stop gap of sorts...cheers

and £930 is great...but how much would you say an average week would be?

Jeet Kune Do is offline New Member
    I'd be a History Professor/Football Player. A tad too late, heinsight is only 20/20.

BRITISH ANABOLIC is offline Associate Member
    and £930 is great...but how much would you say an average week would be?
    On a average week around £600-£800

I couldnt recommend it anymore, i can stop and eat when ever i like, which is always a bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by BRITISH ANABOLIC View Post
    On a average week around £600-£800

I couldnt recommend it anymore, i can stop and eat when ever i like, which is always a bonus!
    did you take any courses to get started?

Thread Information