Bojangles69 is offline Banned

Exclamation Space heater warning as weather gets colder..

This really scared the living fvck out of me last night. I mean I may have just died if I didn't wake up from sleep.

A lot of people may be aware the space heaters cause fires, (doesn't matter if its gas or electric cause fatality rates are near 50% for both). I know this little fact, so I simply keep my heater at least 3ft from anything flammable (recommended by fire department).

But there is also another risk I never really thought of, not sure why cause it makes a lot of sense, but in the condition I was in last night I will NOT be making this mistake again.

I was watching the yanks and finishing up a paper for school. It was around 12 midnight and I was **TIRED**, I mean nodding in and out of consciouness tired.
    The tvs on, computer, (these things create heat on their own) but I seemed to have not realized the space heater was on too. Whatever the case I wasn't planning on falling asleep. I thought "man I'm just gonna lie down for 5 mins" and I was out, space heater on full blast.

You have to understand my room isn't big, and there was no ventilation cause the doors and windows were closed. To get an idea of how powerful this heater is, the room can be icecold and this heater will bring it up to 80degrees in about 20mins max.

Long story short, I wake up on my bed at 3am, open my eyes and am NOT thinking straight AT ALL. I wasn't even sure where I was, was very confused, but not confused enough to not realize my entire body was SOAKING WET, and it looked like someone had poured at least a gallon of water all over my bed. I tried to stand up and lost my coordination, was extremely dizzy and nautious and sat down on the floor to catch my breath. As I sat there I was able to gain a moment of clarity where I figured out my room had to easily be around 150-160 degrees, maybe more I'm not sure. But I had basically been cooking for an easy 2 hours on my bed.

I stumbled over to the space heater and shut it off, the more I was sobering up the MORE I was realizing how bad I felt, so I opened my window, pushed the screen off and hung my head outside the window (the BEST feeling in the world). I just layed there breathing in the fresh cold air, gaining more and more realization that I was in a deep state of heat exhaustion.
    The scariest thing was the INSIDE of my body felt abnormally warm, and I guess that what was making me sick.

But long story short, if you use space heaters or have kids and have them in their room, I suggest you be VERY careful with these things. Cause it wasn't till I got my bearings back when I realized what might have happened if I didn't randomly wake up like that. Not sure if the heat is what woke me up, but if I slept that long I'm sure I could have slept through the night and had a heat stroke.

So please, be fvckn careful with these things. I have it on again right now but I'm WIDE AWAKE, the second you feel yourself getting tired shut those things OFF, or change the setting so its not constantly warming the room up.

Just thought with the time of year it would be worth posting.

-Bo

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    ^^ Wow that must have felt horrible, but doent the heater have a thermostat built in, so if u set it at 80 degrees it shuts off and regulates the temperature in the room?
    I am not a fan of heaters anyhow. But i cant live without my aircon.

CHUCKYthentic is offline Anabolic Member
    another classic post by Bo. man u have been cracking me the hell up lately, likin u more and more everyday!

on a serious note though, ya man space heaters can be dangerous as sh!t! i fell asleep too close to one my ex always had crankin. for some reason i fell asleep on the side of the bed it was on. well i woke up in the middle of the night cuz my foot was touching it and the damn thing burned the hell out of me!

good post...

Quote Originally Posted by *El Diablo* View Post
    ^^ Wow that must have felt horrible, but doent the heater have a thermostat built in, so if u set it at 80 degrees it shuts off and regulates the temperature in the room?
    I am not a fan of heaters anyhow. But i cant live without my aircon.
    Yeh it does but this was a cheaper model and it just has a knob that goes from "min" to "max". The heater sucks cause even when I put it on med or med high it will turn on for 2 mins then shut off for 20mins and it doesn't actually keep the room warm on those settings. It doesnt seem to run any longer then 2 mins no matter what the setting UNLESS I have it on max at which point it never shuts off.
    I suppose thats just a disadvantage of me being a cheap bastard lol

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    ^^, No its not about u being a cheap bastard, i just dont understand how the manufacturers still can make heaters with no thermo/regulater... Its just too risky, but atleast u didnt injure yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKYthentic View Post
    another classic post by Bo. man u have been cracking me the hell up lately, likin u more and more everyday!

on a serious note though, ya man space heaters can be dangerous as sh!t! i fell asleep too close to one my ex always had crankin. for some reason i fell asleep on the side of the bed it was on. well i woke up in the middle of the night cuz my foot was touching it and the damn thing burned the hell out of me!

good post...
    I'm glad my near death experience was entertaining for you

And yeh those things get hot as fvck, you can see the little coils on the inside get bright orange when its on so I'm sure that would be like putting your foot in a volcano touching that shit.

well if I save at least one life this winter it was all worth it.. haha like I really care! burn baby burn!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by *El Diablo* View Post
    ^^, No its not about u being a cheap bastard, i just dont understand how the manufacturers still can make heaters with no thermo/regulater... Its just too risky, but atleast u didnt injure yourself.
    I really didn't think it was a big deal till you mentioned it.

But when I actually think about it, the stupid fvckn thing has a shut off mechanism thats so sensitive if you move it an inch when its on it will shut off, (i guess thats encase it falls over or w/e) but it doesn't have a thermostat.

Its kinda like putting airbags in a car then taking the breaks off yah know? Makes no fvckn sense.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    This really scared the living fvck out of me last night. I mean I may have just died if I didn't wake up from sleep.

A lot of people may be aware the space heaters cause fires, (doesn't matter if its gas or electric cause fatality rates are near 50% for both). I know this little fact, so I simply keep my heater at least 3ft from anything flammable (recommended by fire department).

But there is also another risk I never really thought of, not sure why cause it makes a lot of sense, but in the condition I was in last night I will NOT be making this mistake again.

I was watching the yanks and finishing up a paper for school. It was around 12 midnight and I was **TIRED**, I mean nodding in and out of consciouness tired.
    The tvs on, computer, (these things create heat on their own) but I seemed to have not realized the space heater was on too. Whatever the case I wasn't planning on falling asleep. I thought "man I'm just gonna lie down for 5 mins" and I was out, space heater on full blast.

You have to understand my room isn't big, and there was no ventilation cause the doors and windows were closed. To get an idea of how powerful this heater is, the room can be icecold and this heater will bring it up to 80degrees in about 20mins max.

Long story short, I wake up on my bed at 3am, open my eyes and am NOT thinking straight AT ALL. I wasn't even sure where I was, was very confused, but not confused enough to not realize my entire body was SOAKING WET, and it looked like someone had poured at least a gallon of water all over my bed. I tried to stand up and lost my coordination, was extremely dizzy and nautious and sat down on the floor to catch my breath. As I sat there I was able to gain a moment of clarity where I figured out my room had to easily be around 150-160 degrees, maybe more I'm not sure. But I had basically been cooking for an easy 2 hours on my bed.

I stumbled over to the space heater and shut it off, the more I was sobering up the MORE I was realizing how bad I felt, so I opened my window, pushed the screen off and hung my head outside the window (the BEST feeling in the world). I just layed there breathing in the fresh cold air, gaining more and more realization that I was in a deep state of heat exhaustion.
    The scariest thing was the INSIDE of my body felt abnormally warm, and I guess that what was making me sick.

But long story short, if you use space heaters or have kids and have them in their room, I suggest you be VERY careful with these things. Cause it wasn't till I got my bearings back when I realized what might have happened if I didn't randomly wake up like that. Not sure if the heat is what woke me up, but if I slept that long I'm sure I could have slept through the night and had a heat stroke.

So please, be fvckn careful with these things. I have it on again right now but I'm WIDE AWAKE, the second you feel yourself getting tired shut those things OFF, or change the setting so its not constantly warming the room up.

Just thought with the time of year it would be worth posting.

-Bo
    Next time your dizzy and confused like that call me i'll come over to help you...

higherdesire is offline Banned
    Bo man we missed out on an opportunity here! Gosh glad you're still with us? j/k bro seriouosly that is some wild wild embellishing on your part! HA, fool said a space heater literally almost baked him in his room! BULLSHIT dude, you were half asleep and woke up out a dream you couldn't snap out of fast enough and freaked out. You were not going to be hurt or be die. I mean that is just so freaking far out there Bo, even for you.

Notes: This thread is for entertainment purposes only. In the event that Mr Bojangles had been in any real danger I would be sympathizing with him but he was not so I am not.

Dude I cant let it go, You FELT your insides too hot! Ha, I am laughing so hard I can barely type! It had to be atleast 150 or 160 in your room? DEGREES??? Damn Bo you have made my day. Really thanks man. BAA HA HA HA HA, this is really really good shit bo. You out did yourself here.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    space heater is a pretty ghetto way to heat your room.

Does it work on fire or electric...if it's electric, I can't imagine it can get your room all that hot...maybe 90 degrees.

If it's fire...the bigger risk is carbon monoxide.

Bo its me agian dude. I just re read the post, I am sorry. I left out a few gems, you stumbled over to the heater after sitting on the floor and deciding the temp had to be around 150 to 160? You kicked your screen out and laid out of the window? Whew man that is just some rich shit. Hey listen bro you really need to write a book about anything. You got skills. I was drawn into whole thing man. Nice work Bo.

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Interresting, to long to read all of it right now though lol

Mooseman33 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by higherdesire View Post
    Bo its me agian dude. I just re read the post, I am sorry. I left out a few gems, you stumbled over to the heater after sitting on the floor and deciding the temp had to be around 150 to 160? You kicked your screen out and laid out of the window? Whew man that is just some rich shit. Hey listen bro you really need to write a book about anything. You got skills. I was drawn into whole thing man. Nice work Bo.
    has to be my favorite part....

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    160 degrees.

Yeah okay thats about 20 degrees off the minimum Oven settings.

Okay damn i decided to read all of this, do you actually believe you were cooking!?

Bo, you maniac! ahahahHahahahahahahaa!
    Last edited by Flagg; 11-06-2009 at 11:51 AM.

my buddy decided to drop some tabs of rec drug and thought it was a good idea to spend 4 hrs in hotel sauna with some hippy chicks while drinking bud light

I thought he was gonna die for sure but he's still alive.

Well Kratos, we are all glad that this "buddy" is still with us too bud! lol

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Your room wasn't that hot. You'd be dead. Proteins in the body start to denature at 104..

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    Your room wasn't that hot. You'd be dead. Proteins in the body start to denature at 104..
    so you mean the second I stick my hand in the oven to remove a tray of delicious cookies, my hand turns to scrambled eggs. Core temp and room temp are two different things...good thing for people who live in Arizona or they'd be dust in the wind as soon as leaving the house.

Well Kratos, we are all glad that this "buddy" is still with us too bud! lol
    lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    160 degrees.

Yeah okay thats about 20 degrees off the minimum Oven settings.

Okay damn i decided to read all of this, do you actually believe you were cooking!?

Bo, you maniac! ahahahHahahahahahahaa!
    Yeh but not really.

Saunas are typically set between 115 to 180 degrees. When I think about it yes you are right, it most likely wasn't that hot. Id say it was prob closer to 120 but you have to understand I wasn't in a coherent state of mind, so its hard to say.

But what I can say, if you find the temp that can make you sick as a mfkr in only a few hours, that is the temp it was most likely at.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    Thats great first I'm talking farenheit, and second whether or not proteins degrade at 104 you can not say someone would die at 160degrees f.

A good deal of people sit in saunas up to **195degree f** for 20-30mins at a time, and they don't die, they actually like it.

However, I already mentioned in my previous post it was most likely not 160, but I COULD NOT FVCKN THINK, so please people stop asking for details.

I'm being creative cause I have no fvckn clue how hot it was..

No thats not when I "decided", thats simply when I added it into the story because thats when mentioning the temp becomes relevant in the story.

However, it seems most people on this forum are experts a temperature. So I will just clear it up with you HD last (no more responses to people mentioning temperature) I DO NOT KNOW how hot it was. I don't know what 150-160 feels like, I should have simply not wrote a temperature at all. All I know is it made me sick and incoherent like a mfkr in a few hours which TO ME means it was *extremely hot. But I have no idea what the temp actually was, so rather then be creative anymore, you guys can fill in details in with your own mind and I'll just put ____ when I write.

Also I didnt "kick" the screen out, I thought I wrote "pushed". Dont even try being sarcastic with me (if Im wrong I apologize) but it seems like you portrayed this thread as me trying to sell a story or idea.
    I fell asleep with a heater on, it scared the fvck out of me, so I posted about it so other people know the consequences. If you want me to be frank, when I posted this thread I was 100% blind to the fact that anyone would even find it remotely "entertaining".

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    so you mean the second I stick my hand in the oven to remove a tray of delicious cookies, my hand turns to scrambled eggs. Core temp and room temp are two different things...good thing for people who live in Arizona or they'd be dust in the wind as soon as leaving the house.
    he said he was cooking at that temperature for 2 hours in an enclosed room. Not 10 seconds pulling a tray of cookies out of an oven or living in the arid environment of arizona. apples to oranges

Thats great first I'm talking farenheit,
    Really? no way...
    and second whether or not proteins degrade at 104 you can not say someone would die at 160degrees f.
    if you were exposed to that temp in your bedroom for 2 hours as you claimed you would be dead.

A good deal of people sit in saunas up to **195degree f** for 20-30mins at a time, and they don't die, they actually like it.
    Dry sauna, relys on a persons perspiration to keep them cool, even that has its limits. Steam saunas/baths on the other hand max out at roughly 110 F and can only stay in for a much shorter period of time due to the near 100% humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    No thats not when I "decided", thats simply when I added it into the story because thats when mentioning the temp becomes relevant in the story.

However, it seems most people on this forum are experts a temperature. So I will just clear it up with you HD last (no more responses to people mentioning temperature) I DO NOT KNOW how hot it was. I don't know what 150-160 feels like, I should have simply not wrote a temperature at all. All I know is it made me sick and incoherent like a mfkr in a few hours which TO ME means it was *extremely hot. But I have no idea what the temp actually was, so rather then be creative anymore, you guys can fill in details in with your own mind and I'll just put ____ when I write.

Also I didnt "kick" the screen out, I thought I wrote "pushed". Dont even try being sarcastic with me (if Im wrong I apologize) but it seems like you portrayed this thread as me trying to sell a story or idea.
    I fell asleep with a heater on, it scared the fvck out of me, so I posted about it so other people know the consequences. If you want me to be frank, when I posted this thread I was 100% blind to the fact that anyone would even find it remotely "entertaining".
    Hey come we got history man. I was just busting your balls man. Glad you're ok bud!

CHAP is offline Anabolic Member
    Glad your alright my friend

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"

Thread Information