Thread: Yoga or Pilates

CMPD213 is offline Associate Member

Yoga or Pilates

Do any of you do yoga or pilates classes to help with your flexibility and core strength? I know of a few local bodybuilders that do pilates classes and they say it's a love/hate relationship. They love what the classes do for them, but they hate doing the classes.

Just curious to what you guys think of it, and if any of you do take the classes do you find it beneficial?

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Gay lol, just stretch before and after your workout.

I read in MD awhile back that stretching for any longer than 30 seconds pre workout can affect your strength a significant amount. So I always tried avoiding long stretching pew workout. But I do stretch between sets and stuff to stay occupied

Quote Originally Posted by jp2007 View Post
    I read in MD awhile back that stretching for any longer than 30 seconds pre workout can affect your strength a significant amount. So I always tried avoiding long stretching pew workout. But I do stretch between sets and stuff to stay occupied
    If that is the case, you definetly wouldn't want to do yoga, that is pretty much all stretches.
    But if you are worried about losing strengh just stretch post workout.

I stretch pre workout inbetween sets and sometimes post workout, never really noticed any strengh degrease, I suppose it varies from person to person though, just give it a try and see what works for you.
    Last edited by beatango2008; 11-06-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks bro.. This was really brought to my attention last night when my girl and I were sitting on the floor, I could not get comfortable to save my life, I can sit Indian style and stuff like that but I just can't relax and get comfortable like that.. I'm hoping stretching will help.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2007 View Post
    Thanks bro.. This was really brought to my attention last night when my girl and I were sitting on the floor, I could not get comfortable to save my life, I can sit Indian style and stuff like that but I just can't relax and get comfortable like that.. I'm hoping stretching will help.
    No problem bro, I know where your coming from, its frustrating at times.
    But I have noticed a big diffrence since I started.

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    I'm a firm believer in yoga. There are many different variations. The kind that works best for athletes is Eischens yoga or high energy yoga. You don't need to go to hr long yoga classes to see a dramatic increase in the way your body feels and performs. 5-10 minutes a day is a great place to start. And it isn't about "stretching." It has more to do with the activation and movement of muscles.

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    Also if you want to stretch before a workout find a good dynamic stretching routine. And if you want to stretch more use PNF stretching post workout.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    i'd like to do yoga.....but if i took a class...it'd be all girls and i dunno that i'd be very comfortable....gotta be comfortable if you're going to relax.

oscarjones is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    i'd like to do yoga.....but if i took a class...it'd be all girls and i dunno that i'd be very comfortable....gotta be comfortable if you're going to relax.
    I know a few guys who do Yoga. 2 of them actually are pursuing their yoga instructor license, or whatever you want to call it... so they can teach it.

I think it's pretty cool, if I had the patience I'd love to be more flexy. Less chance of injury and the ladies like it too!

Look at those gymnast dudes, they are pretty jacked from supporting their body-weight all day long with handstands and shit... they are super flexible too... shows you can be muscular and flexible! May just require more work?

There should be a beginner yoga class for juicers only. That'd be too funny.

Thread Information