JC.1987 is offline Associate Member

what the HECK am i gonna do guys

Im currently 22, and this april i graduate with my degree in business (took me 5 years to get a 4 year degree). Anyways, if you guys were in my shoes, what would you do? I dont know if im ready to jump into a career yet, but at the same time im considering going back to school (this might be completely useless)...OR would you guys spend some time traveling instead. At this point im just happy to get out of school, but i dont feel like im at that 'adult' level yet to get into the grown-up lifestyle. Are there any older members that can share some 'if i knew then what i knew now' advice, or just share their story or whatever.

anyways.. im not tryin to sound like a panzey..

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries
    If you are done with school, then drop the hammer and start your career.

Best

T

ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member
    what area of buisness u get a degree in? what u major in?

im currently doing double degree in commerce (accounting) and buisness (economics)

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM View Post
    If you are done with school, then drop the hammer and start your career.

Best

T
    Agreed!

playboii is offline Senior Member
    i need to go back to school =\ its so hard to start over..

Kibble is offline Anabolic Member
    Stay in school while you have the time/money/desire to do so

T_Dubp is offline Junior Member
    I say do a little bit of traveling, you never know when you'll have that opportunity again. I graduated last year and lived in France the past two summers and wouldn't have it any other way; making new friends, traveling around, and taking in different cultures. Debating whether or not to do it again next year, but at 24 I feel it's time to get a career going. My two cents..

lawstudent007 is offline Female Member

Well, I'll be quite blunt with you. These days, every man and his mother has a business degree or an MBA. Also, it is said that the bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma. If you can, suck it up and go for your Masters. Just be sure to pick the right master's program that will acutally be worth the money you spend on getting that extra degree. Then, once you start you master's program, you can take a semester of and travel abroad. Start a graduate program while you still have that momentum. At least complete 1 semester before you take a break. Then you can go abroad and even take part of your master's course abroad. Depending on where you travel, you can teach english for like 6 months while you live abroad. This way you can support yourself while you experience a new culture.

I'm currently in law school and it seems like I've ben in school forever (but not really). I took a break here and there and traveled around. "Real" life comes around quickly, and before you know it other obligations will pop up and school WILL take the back burner--Don't say it won't happen to you bec it "almost" always does (unless you fight real hard against human nature, lol).

Additionally, unless you have a top job already lined up, stay in school. This is the best time to beef up your resume for additional credentials. Just don't get useless, "sounds good at dinner conversations" credentials. Think of what you're best at or what kind of work you want to do. Or if you're flexible, look at what the market outlook is for the near and far future, and choose a degree based on that. Let me know if you'd like more info on booming employment projections (I'm always looking at that type of data). Just my 2 cents, and if you don't want it, please give it back---I'm a broke college student and every penny counts!

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    well really bluntly it's not what you know but who you know. If you can continue to go to school I would do that, cause like ^ the above said many people have MBA's. Go to school and network.

elpropiotorvic is offline Senior Member
    I say leave the travelling for later.... Whatever u choose whether start working and while working getting a masters that's good but Id say either work or study cause the travelling time and networkig will come at it's time.....

Quote Originally Posted by ranging1 View Post
    what area of buisness u get a degree in? what u major in?

im currently doing double degree in commerce (accounting) and buisness (economics)
    I'm just doing my Honors BBA. I was going to concentrate in entrepreneurship, but i didn't end up picking a concentration. I actually did 3 years of economics before i realized it wasn't for me, then i switched into business instead... Luckily i was able to transfer a bunch of credits, so i only had to make up an additional year.

Thanks for the great advice guys. I want to buy a house in the next few years (hopefully lol), so maybe getting a career would be a good idea if i plan on doing that. I actually got offered a job as a bank teller at the beggining of this year, but it was full time and it wouldn't have worked with school. But it would definatly be a good foot in the door, cause the branch manager hinted how alot of the young people they hire end up moving up.
    Eventually i want to get my MBA, but i want to get some field experience before i do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenseno9 View Post
    well really bluntly it's not what you know but who you know.
    Very true

chuckt12345 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    dude your 22 ,, take some time off,, once you start the real world your fkd

Quote Originally Posted by chuckt12345 View Post
    dude your 22 ,, take some time off,, once you start the real world your fkd
    That is also what i was thinking lol

jccnewbie is offline Senior Member
    You need to clear your head and go with the first thing that comes to mind. Your thinking about it to hard, just do what's in your heart.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    i would 100% go travelling for a year or two....then back into studying.....you never know whats around the corner.....travel travel travel......

What i really want to do... but i don't know how feasible it would actually be.. is to buy a sailboat and go sailing down a coastal line or something. You can get a pretty decent used sailboat for like 7k, and just fix it up.

jccnewbie is offline Senior Member
    Go with your desires bro, nobody will make sure that they happen later on in life, only you.

fig
    fig is offline Member
    OP - I experienced the exact same thing. Kinda scary. I got a BS in Business in 5 years and did not know what to do. I picked Business cause it was general and I was undecided as to what I wanted to do in life. I focused so hard on the finish line, I never stopped to ask myself if I was pursuing what I really wanted.

Long story short, right before graduation, I withdrew and went back for Computer Science. NEVER regretted it. Absolute best decision I ever made. I now have 2 degrees, I will never use the Business degree, but companies love to see it.

My advise, try to figure out exactly what you want to do. If it's business, great. Graduate and put your big boy pants on. If not, go back and get a degree in what you like. It's too hard to go back later, plus you will waste time in the real world doing work outside of your future, ideal career. Good luck dude!

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JC.1987 View Post
    Im currently 22, and this april i graduate with my degree in business (took me 5 years to get a 4 year degree). Anyways, if you guys were in my shoes, what would you do? I dont know if im ready to jump into a career yet, but at the same time im considering going back to school (this might be completely useless)...OR would you guys spend some time traveling instead. At this point im just happy to get out of school, but i dont feel like im at that 'adult' level yet to get into the grown-up lifestyle. Are there any older members that can share some 'if i knew then what i knew now' advice, or just share their story or whatever.

anyways.. im not tryin to sound like a panzey..
    If I was you I'd do the same thing my brother did because hes been doing great ever since he got out of school.
    But he applied with a sales/contracting business (home related) and they took him on, trained him, and he does great (for 6 years now).

He barely works, makes almost 100grand a year, and lives a fairly liesurely (sp) lifestyle. You do have to have a fair degree of natural social skills, but even now (with a crappy economy) you can still do better then decent. 2 hours work, sell a 10,000 dollar job, keep $1,200.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Go into prostitution.

big_k is offline Associate Member
    Its not necessarily IF you have an MBA though, there is hundreds about hundreds of MBA programs in the US, depending on what you're wanna do, there are tier 1 schools that should help line you up with a job. ALTHOUGH currently graduates are having trouble finding jobs even at these top notch schools simply because companies are cutting back, not expanding....in general.

fig
    fig is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Go into prostitution.
    DSM, you should help out elpropiotorvic with a suggestion like this...

Supplementing income

Thread Information