RyanRoss is offline Associate Member

CYGWIN--Anyone familiar?

Trying to install it, but I can't find an ftp server to install it from.....None are on the list. Anyone know of any?

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    http://www.cygwin.com/mirrors.html best bet is to try here lots of download links

Quote Originally Posted by drdeath613 View Post
    http://www.cygwin.com/mirrors.html best bet is to try here lots of download links
    Much appreciated--I keep getting this damn error though about the setup.ini file not being found on ANY mirror I add. Any idea on what to do?

Edit: "Make a shortcut where you specify the command to run as "setup.exe -X and that will solve the problem"

Great idea...but I don't know where the hell I can do that. I'm on Windows Vista. .

Are they talking through the command prompt?

I went into the command prompt, and entered "start C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\setup.exe -x" . it started the program with that perimeter but then closed it immediately.....God what a headache.
    Last edited by RyanRoss; 11-26-2009 at 01:18 AM.

yea i dont deal with vista i run windows xp 64 bit less problems and more stable

yea i dont deal with vista i run windows xp 64 bit less problems and more stable
    God how I miss it.....That's exactly what my last OS was before I sent my computer off to get fixed under warranty and they put god damn windows vista on here!!! Any idea what they mean though when they're talking about making a shortcut where you specify the command? Are they talking about the command prompt?

to me it sounds like it wants u to make say a new desk top shortcut target the file ur trying to run and name it setup.exe -x

lol u could always download the hacked version like i run its fast and has been tweeked so well and it spywear and virus free

lol u could always download the hacked version like i run its fast and has been tweeked so well and it spywear and virus free
    Where at. I need this. lol

i was kinda shocked it could run my full 8 gigs of ram

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    What's this program used for?

i was kinda shocked it could run my full 8 gigs of ram
    Nice, and you aren't having issues with cygwin on it? They say if you're trying to get it after August of 08 you get that error but I don't know how the f they expect me to correct it. I need this or SOMETHING to compile thc-hydra so I can test it on all of my office servers.

lol i followed vista back when they called it project longhorn that was the alpha and beta name and i used both but it was never as good as xp thats why they rushed out windows 7 cause everyone started switching to linux

iv ran it on xp with no problem but havent put it back on since the wipe i did last month

iv ran it on xp with no problem but havent put it back on since the wipe i did last month
    God this is a pain in the ass. I'm about to say screw cygwin. I just need a decent compiler so I can compile the hydra together. I'll probably just download C++ or something.

so ur trying to do a hack protection test on office servers

Cygwin can be expected to run on all modern 32 bit versions of Windows, except Windows CE. This includes Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003 and the WOW64 32 bit environment on released 64 bit versions of Windows. As far as we know no one is working on a native 64 bit version of Cygwin. Since Cygwin is a community-supported free software project, patches to provide support for other versions would be thoughtfully considered. Paid support contracts or enhancements are available through Red Hat. For information about getting a Red Hat support contract,

thought id point out the fact its not made for vista may be why u cant get it to work

so ur trying to do a hack protection test on office servers
    Sorry I crashed out last night. Yeah pretty much I run a little business of my own on the side for security for small businesses. I guess I misread what was up with vista and cygwin, I thought then newer versions were compatible with vista. God I just need to get XP and Linux.

That's the link I went to so I could download the hydra, the problem is I need Cygwin to compile it and I can't get the damned thing. Do you think Visual Basic would work for compiling something of that?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanRoss View Post
    That's the link I went to so I could download the hydra, the problem is I need Cygwin to compile it and I can't get the damned thing. Do you think Visual Basic would work for compiling something of that?
    Well holy shit. A windows version. AWESOME and much appreciated. The problem now is that when I run the program it opens the cmd prompt for .2 seconds and then closes. Any idea for a solution? Almost in business here.

Got the Hydra running. Got a huge appointment after thanksgiving for my job. I'm entry level but when I show them how vulnerable their system is they may promote me to some networking/security position (wishful thinking.) lol
    Last edited by RyanRoss; 11-26-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanRoss View Post
    Well holy shit. A windows version. AWESOME and much appreciated. The problem now is that when I run the program it opens the cmd prompt for .2 seconds and then closes. Any idea for a solution? Almost in business here.

Got the Hydra running. Got a huge appointment after thanksgiving for my job. I'm entry level but when I show them how vulnerable their system is they may promote me to some networking/security position (wishful thinking.) lol
    fml. I just did a test run with it and low and behold, all the commands (specifically I used -l -P and -O) gave me an error saying invalid perimeter......the program is running. Wtf...

Thread Information