Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member

Kettle Bell Advice

I was wondering if any of you guys use Kettle Bells in your workouts and if those of you that do could help me out. I am looking at buying some but I am unsure as to how many and what weights to get. There are some pretty good deals out there but almost of those come will singles for each weight. For example 1 20lb bell, 1 30lb bell, etc. Would I be missing out not having doubles? Or can you get just as good a workout from using single kettle bells. I also came across a kettle bell handle that works like a dumbell. You can actually load on the weight you want. What do you guys think. Thanks!

CptAmericaX is offline Member
    Man personaly or IMO kettle bells are useless, The history behind them (dont quote me this is word of mouth) But they are russian made weights, someone took a blow torch on steal ball and made a handle nothing more. I have used them and Not impressed, when I had perfectly good dumb bells there

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by CptAmericaX View Post
    Man personaly or IMO kettle bells are useless, The history behind them (dont quote me this is word of mouth) But they are russian made weights, someone took a blow torch on steal ball and made a handle nothing more. I have used them and Not impressed, when I had perfectly good dumb bells there
    wow!....to say something is useless is a bit much....they are not useless and can be used if done correctly with great results..

you use them differently to dumbbells....
    Last edited by energizer bunny; 11-29-2009 at 03:15 AM.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Ninja View Post
    I was wondering if any of you guys use Kettle Bells in your workouts and if those of you that do could help me out. I am looking at buying some but I am unsure as to how many and what weights to get. There are some pretty good deals out there but almost of those come will singles for each weight. For example 1 20lb bell, 1 30lb bell, etc. Would I be missing out not having doubles? Or can you get just as good a workout from using single kettle bells. I also came across a kettle bell handle that works like a dumbell. You can actually load on the weight you want. What do you guys think. Thanks!
    no you wouldnt be missing out not having 2 kbells....all the exercises i know are with 1 kbell....geting a few diff weights like you said is the best bet...never seen the kbell with dbell handel before..

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
    wow!....to say something is useless is a bit much....they are not useless and can be used if done correctly with great results..

you use them differently to dumbbells....
    Agreed but personally I have NO idea what you would use them for.

You cant use them for curls, bench, flys or??? I have to agree, dumbbells are a LOT more versatile.

^^^^ agree......look at them as another tool to your weight training routine not as a change to dumbbells.....they are excellent for doing high intensity weight/cardio training....great for burning cals....they are good for explosive power movements....and for getting a quick workout in.....using them correctly is the key because if not done correctly you can injur yourself pretty easily.....i used them alot when i was boxing and kickboxing not so much now when im bodybuilding.....sometimes i use them at the end of my weight session for 20 mins HIIT instead of low intensity for 30 mins..

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would believe they would work for lateral raises , upright rows , tri -extensions and with imagination , anything .
    You are so used to conventional dumbells , anything seems awkward .
    I have been going to gyms since 1982 . How many times have you seen mismatched dumb bells and bent ones . Not to mention loose ended ones .
    I haven't used but might be a good change for a minute .
    Hell some hammer strength machines feel pretty weird at first , or just never feel right .

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I did a poor job explaining the other option. It sounds as if most agree that you can get by with one kettle bell as opposed to a pair. The second part of my question, the part I explained poorly, is a kettle bell hand with a base that works as if it were a conventional dumbell. You can add and take off weight. Picture a kettle bell handle that has a long straight bar of about 10". It doesn't seem quite as ideal but it is a lot cheaper.

so no one likes kettle bells?

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"

jbm

Is that you JBM?

jbm
    both of us

jbm

gay ninja

jbm

My ninja daughter

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    Personally I like kbells better than dumbbells. However, I'm more interested in functional fitness than the size of my biceps. Some of my favorite exercises are the kbell swing, snatch, turkish get up, windmill and seated press. And the ultimate ass kicker man maker's are killer too!

I think some of the best made kbells are by a company called Lifeline. They are located in Madison, WI. But they have a great website as well. I wouldn't waste my money buying 20 or even 30lb kbells.

CptAmericaX is offline Member
    let me say that again For the training I do, I can get more out of dumbells and barbells than I will with the kettle bell, But people I know big into cross fit love them

Thread Information