Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member

georgian olympic luge competitor dead

vid and pics:

http://community.livejournal.com/ohn.../43992922.html

it is horrible, but at the same time he most likely felt nothing - and he died doing what he loved......

with this angle, his internal organs, spinal column and brain stem (and brain) were most likely destroyed.....

RIP

awesome1 is offline Associate Member
    oh my god that is insane, makes me sad to watch it. I do agree that he went out like a badass hauling ass in an extreme sport as an olympian.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That was brutal.

21 years old...

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    that made me cringe even got my heart beat up, that is terrible RIP.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    wow.......thats awful, very sad.....RIP

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    I wonder how often someone dies on the luge. I've heard its dangerous but never realized people were getting killed.

I've loved lifting weights since I was a kid, but I don't want to die lifting. That would suck setting a new personal record on deads or something and then keeling over. I want to die in my sleep as an old man after finishing off two bitches.

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    R.i.p.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810 View Post
    I wonder how often someone dies on the luge. I've heard its dangerous but never realized people were getting killed.

I've loved lifting weights since I was a kid, but I don't want to die lifting. That would suck setting a new personal record on deads or something and then keeling over. I want to die in my sleep as an old man after finishing off two bitches.
    Now thats what I'm talkin about!

what makes this story worse is that he's dreamed of becomming an olympian..... being on the worlds largest stage and compete for his country. He finally makes it..... and dies durring practice. Never even gets to know what it's like competing at the olympic games..... very very sad.

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

TheMilk is offline Junior Member
    wtf why were there pillars right around the corner like that? there should have been a flat wall or higher rails on the track. that was awful

CMonkey is offline Associate Member
    The video is brutal, and then the sound of him hitting the beam.

May he rest in peace.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    An a article I read they say people commented from the start that the beginning of this course was to dangerous and made it harder to control the luge later on in the course. If this is a design defect and they chose to ignore it, it would make this accident that much more awful.

CMonkey is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter View Post
    An a article I read they say people commented from the start that the beginning of this course was to dangerous and made it harder to control the luge later on in the course. If this is a design defect and they chose to ignore it, it would make this accident that much more awful.
    After the investigation, the conclusion was drawn that it was human error. He had too high a line in the corner before, which caused him to overcorrect in the last one. This is the fastest track in the world, with speeds around 90MPH. It doesn't leave a whole lot of room for error.

Whether it was human error or a bad idea in making it the fastest, most difficult track, it is a tragic event.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I saw the video on youtube. I doubt he felt anything. Ashame.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    who the hell designed the track
    death poles on either side of the track so you know any leaving of the track will result in death...seriously, what a stupid idea

alexISthrowed is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    death poles on either side of the track so you know any leaving of the track will result in death...seriously, what a stupid idea
    It makes it more intense. They have also added death spikes in between the ski jumps.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    I may actually watch the Olympics if they put rotating saw blades instead of stupid concrete poles.
    The thing you realize when watching the video is it was absolutely this guys time to go. He did NOT get thrown over the wall, he went around the corner so high when he corrected himself he hit the inside corner which acted like a ramp and actually threw him outside the luge from the inside corner. The chances of that happening again are like 1 in a million, if you see the vid you'll know what I mean.

The thing that does piss me off though honestly is I don't see anyway this guy could have possibly lived getting thrown out like that. If he landed on flat concrete he prob would have made it, the problem is when you're going that fast you WILL hit a pole no matter what. They are everywhere.
    The design of these tracks is obviously in its newbie phases still, they will learn now.
    Last edited by Bojangles69; 02-13-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    The sound of him crashing... I felt it in my chest. :|
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    R.i.p.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Quote Originally Posted by hazard View Post
    now thats what i'm talkin about!

what makes this story worse is that he's dreamed of becomming an olympian..... Being on the worlds largest stage and compete for his country. He finally makes it..... And dies durring practice. Never even gets to know what it's like competing at the olympic games..... Very very sad.

~haz~
    ...x2

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810 View Post

why just two, just get a line of them from the bunny house and keep going till you keel over lol

Apparently this has been the only death in a luge since 1964, if you consider it, its really much lower then I would have thought.
    I remember the first time I ever saw luge I thought "what is wrong with these people" just watching them is scary enough, but apparently its not common at all to die in the luge.

And I think hes a russian not a georgian.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    First luge death in 35 years...

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by alexISthrowed View Post
    It makes it more intense. They have also added death spikes in between the ski jumps.
    yuppp and they added polar bears to the snow boarding

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    I hope he is resting in peace.

awesome1 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    Apparently this has been the only death in a luge since 1964, if you consider it, its really much lower then I would have thought.
    I remember the first time I ever saw luge I thought "what is wrong with these people" just watching them is scary enough, but apparently its not common at all to die in the luge.

And I think hes a russian not a georgian.

I think the SKELETON is even scarier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails georgian olympic luge competitor dead-olympics_skeleton_women2.jpg  

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    R.I.P how terrible at such a young age too.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    R.i.p

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    exactly! Why huge steel pillars?? Especially right around a turn.

Gets some cushions in there or bales of hay or just make the wall higher...

shit

RIP

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    exactly! Why huge steel pillars?? Especially right around a turn.

Gets some cushions in there or bales of hay or just make the wall higher...
    I'm in Vancouver right now for the Olympics actually.

I'll give you an update: the Olympic committee spent all of yesterday adding snow to that bend in the course.

All the pillars are now 100% covered (except in the "flats" areas -- where the stands stand like 6 feet from the luge track = vverry cool!)

Originally course-designers believed that all Olympian's would be able to control themselves around that particular bend, and that crashing shouldn't be an issue there.

BTW, I saw the male speed-skating live @ the Richmond-Oval yesterday. unreal. seriously.

-VM

I was watching the lugers on tv today and EVERYTIME they went around that last turn my heart would jump like something was gonna happen.
    Oddly enough it didn't seem to affect the people at the Olympics at all, they were all cheering and happy, like the thought wasn't even in their mind.

But it seemed like A LOT of people hit that 16th turn and have an issue straighting out the sleigh for the finish line. A lot of guys go around that turn then bump off the side and put their feet down to straighten out. I was watching all the other turns and it seems like most people do not go through that part smoothly.
    I was honestly waiting for a second luger to at least fall off his sleigh but still 100% of the guys seemed to handle it pretty well. What really sucks is if this guy just got a bit more practice, he would have prob got a feel for the course and not be dead.

Just shows how fragile the human body is. In the video you know their going around 90 mph but realistically after hitting 2 walls (before the pole) he had to have slowed down a lot, maybe around 50-60mph before hitting the pole. Cause even in the picture you can tell his body is mostly going downward then it is heading toward the poll. Another 5-10 ft and he may have slowed down enough to have made it.

Its a shame, almost like something out of final destination when you see the video. I do admit though out of all the games at the Olympics luging def looks the most fun. I would love to see guys just run and jump down the luge w/out a sleigh, now that would be fun.. go down headfirst on your tummy lol. I'd prob sign up for the olympics just to do it then get kicked out.

teddykgb29 is offline Associate Member
    very sad rip.....

Thread Information