Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member

So I walked into an Army Careers Office today

It's been on my mind for some time now, so today I went into one of their offices to inquire about signing up.

Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) im just a bit too old to join Regular Army. There are some roles that go upto the age of 33, but unfortunately I turn 33 in a coupla weeks time, and coupled with the length of training i've just missed the boat which im a bit bummed about. Having said that I still do have one year of University left so how I was going to juggle the two was another matter.

What I can still do is join the Territorial Army. Had a really long good chat with someone there about the sort of stuff they can do, and they told me that if im that passionate and apply myself enough, there are opportunities to apply for full time posts (regular army) further down the line. Even with the TA's, there are tons of really cool and interesting roles to do. There's even a chance to go train with the SAS, but he said to me that that is a MASSIVE CHALLENGE should I look into it.

In the TA's as well there is also the chance to go and do a 6 month tour in somewhere like Afghanistan or Iraq. Providing on what I do, I basically have to go to the TA office once a week and one weekend a month, and after X amount of days (I think he said 30) you get to do your basic training (should you pass selection).

Even though the TA's is all I can do now, I feel super excited to be able to get stuck into something like this. Is anyone doing anything similiar, and if so did they find it was possible to do something full time through part time stuff?

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    i thought about joining the army myself a few times, went down once and got my BARB test booked in, went back and i wasnt allowed because of my then massive debts!.......the TA are teased a fair bit by the regular army.....tho i think it would be a good idea if thats the type of challenge your after...you get paid so thats a bonus, plus you get the chance to see what the armys about......this may be something i would be interested in, in a few years time also.....

EXSEAL1 is offline Banned
    Walk out, unless your spec warfare it sucks

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    are the TA's like the national guard in america?

Thread Information