Blog Entries

my dog is suffering from separation anxiety badly...

he is destroying everything and its making me unbelievebly angry...but i know its not his fault its a mental prob...i dont want to beat him,i know he wants to be a good dog and always is when me or my family is around....im curious whom here has or had this same problem and what you have done to ease his suffering....im looking into drugs but i dont know whats best or what works so if i could pick your brains a bit i would be most greatfull.....thanx...

the big 1 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My yorkshire terrier still suffers from this today, and shes now 12.
    She is really protective of my mother because my mum feeds her.
    Ide say just give it time and it will get use to its new surroundings in the near future, just let it know you love it and care about it and it will become very attached to you, and eventually mellow down. good luck with it

Blog Entries
    my dog is 12 yrs old as well so i dont think hes gonna grow out of it but thanx for the response...

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    How often do you exercise your dog? Dog's need stimulation every day, some more than others, but they all need it. My dog used to do the same thing when he was a pup, if I miss a day walking him, he goes ape shit and will be a cockface all night.

Blog Entries
    i try to exercise him everyday but sence its winter its not been as consistent.....you make a good point ill be shure to walk him everyday and see if it helps....thanx for the input bro...

JBarron is offline Member
    Is he part wolf part dog?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarron View Post
    Is he part wolf part dog?
    no everyone thinks he is but hes an akc certified black german shepard.....its fairly rare to find one all black like he is....

TheArtist is offline Member
    put him in a cage while you're gone. unless you're gone for 6+ hours....that would be kinda mean.
    I have a little male dachshund that has to pee on EVERYTHING when we leave, unless we put him in the training cage.... i feel guilty sometimes but he just sleeps, and we don't have piss covered everything when we get back home.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtist View Post
    put him in a cage while you're gone. unless you're gone for 6+ hours....that would be kinda mean.
    I have a little male dachshund that has to pee on EVERYTHING when we leave, unless we put him in the training cage.... i feel guilty sometimes but he just sleeps, and we don't have piss covered everything when we get back home.
    i made a similar post on another website questioning whether i should put a muzzle on my dog or use a large training kennel...and like 99% ppl said that dogs feel safe and secure in a kennel

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    How often do you exercise your dog? Dog's need stimulation every day, some more than others, but they all need it. My dog used to do the same thing when he was a pup, if I miss a day walking him, he goes ape shit and will be a cockface all night.
    +1 i taught mine to run on the treadmill for the exact same reason.

peump is offline Senior Member
    I kennel my dog when I'm gone and he also gets daily exercise. He actually loves the treadmill. Also he gets a lot of energy out chewing on things like rawhide, pig ears and toys. Help him get out his pent up energy and you should see immediate results.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    A German Shepherd is a working dog. They need to do something. Maybe look up some stuff on training him to do various tasks (herding, searching, etc). That dog wants to please you, and if you're not giving him the opportunity to do so, he's gonna be nuts.

matt77 is offline Member
    I have been through what your going through except my shepherd didn't destroy stuff he started eating himself (serious). I put him on Anti-Ds but it only sedated him and masked the problem. My boy is an 8 year old import from Germany and has been by my side since he was 1.5 years old. Until last year when some things changed and I couldn't take him every where. He was devestated and slowly was going crazy. People do not understand how strong of a bond a Shepherd forms with his owner (they are def. pack animals).

Well keeping him exercised is important to help, along with the use of medication in the begining. The cure that I have found is amazing! Its called DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) Its a Synthetic hormone that lactating mother dogs produce to calm puppies during nursing. You can get it in a spray and plug-in defuser, Get both at first. Take him outside for a few to let him run around. While hes out there have someone plug in the defuser and spray his bedding area with the DAP 5 mins before you come in. Come in and see how he reacts. He should become very calm and almost sleepy acting with in 10 mins. that means the DAP is playing with his mind. Try to stay home with him a couple of days when you get the stuff and the results will be amazing. When ever your about to leave spray his bed with the DAP to increase its effects. I have seen this work countless times on many dogs including mine. Sometimes dogs are to far gone for this to work thats why medication has to be used to jump start the treatment. This stuff is expensive and it will cost around $30 for each refill if you shop around. But after the first bottle of spray is gone just try the defuser and see if its enough.
    GOOD LUCK!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt77 View Post
    I have been through what your going through except my shepherd didn't destroy stuff he started eating himself (serious). I put him on Anti-Ds but it only sedated him and masked the problem. My boy is an 8 year old import from Germany and has been by my side since he was 1.5 years old. Until last year when some things changed and I couldn't take him every where. He was devestated and slowly was going crazy. People do not understand how strong of a bond a Shepherd forms with his owner (they are def. pack animals).

Well keeping him exercised is important to help, along with the use of medication in the begining. The cure that I have found is amazing! Its called DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) Its a Synthetic hormone that lactating mother dogs produce to calm puppies during nursing. You can get it in a spray and plug-in defuser, Get both at first. Take him outside for a few to let him run around. While hes out there have someone plug in the defuser and spray his bedding area with the DAP 5 mins before you come in. Come in and see how he reacts. He should become very calm and almost sleepy acting with in 10 mins. that means the DAP is playing with his mind. Try to stay home with him a couple of days when you get the stuff and the results will be amazing. When ever your about to leave spray his bed with the DAP to increase its effects. I have seen this work countless times on many dogs including mine. Sometimes dogs are to far gone for this to work thats why medication has to be used to jump start the treatment. This stuff is expensive and it will cost around $30 for each refill if you shop around. But after the first bottle of spray is gone just try the defuser and see if its enough.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    thanx bro ill take it into consideration...im not shure how it will work for an 11 yr old dog though....i was hoping others would chime in with otc meds or even perscription drugs and there experiences but i apreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    A German Shepherd is a working dog. They need to do something. Maybe look up some stuff on training him to do various tasks (herding, searching, etc). That dog wants to please you, and if you're not giving him the opportunity to do so, he's gonna be nuts.
    yes you are right i agree he needs to fell like hes serving a purpose...i have 2 cats as well and hes constanly herding them and my family...its quite funny actually...i feel really bad for him cus he really wants to be a good dog i know that but his destroying of things is making me insane...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtist View Post
    i tryed the kennel thing....it lasted one day...he destroyed the shit out of it...it was made of steel but i guess not heavy duty enough...he weighs 115 lbs all muscle...

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    give him an old jumper in his bed (after having wore it) when your going out, i had a big male dalmatian with this type of behaviour when i wasnt around, total destruction mode!! old jumper did the trick, they get your scent and it calms em. combined with plenty of exercise also

bd50 is offline Associate Member
    i have an 8 yr old american bulldog with severe separation anxiety. i use the DAP diffuser plug in, and it seems to work well. IT's not only for pups, it works with dogs of all ages.

besides daily exercise/long walks, i put him in his crate with his giant bed, at least 30 mins before i leave the house. that way he's not just thrown in there and we disappear right away. he's only in there maybe 4 hours, then the wife gets home.

also, when you return home, leave him in the crate for at least 20-25 mins, and TOTALLY IGNORE THE DOG. meaning, no eye contact, no verbal "hello", NOTHING.

what this does, is condition the dog to see that you leaving is not the end of the world, and it slowly reduces their anxiety.

it works for us, and i've been doing it for years after a good vet recommended this training.

before this, my dog would literally break the wire crate apart with his teeth, and we would come home to a crate with the wires pointing in different directions. he still gets anxious a few times per month,, but is mostly calm when we leave and return home.

also the only toys i leave him with when i'm not home, are the hard durable nylabones. anything else he will literally destroy and EAT.

good luck!
    Last edited by bd50; 03-08-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add

matt77 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    thanx bro ill take it into consideration...im not shure how it will work for an 11 yr old dog though....i was hoping others would chime in with otc meds or even perscription drugs and there experiences but i apreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts...
    Well the otc stuff may or may not work. There are several herbal supps for dogs that claim to work but I have yet to see any with solid results. Scrip drugs that will work are diazepam and prozac but they only mask the issue while making the dog become dependent on it. Plus meds are hard on the liver and kidneys at any age but at 11 with a Shepherd you are asking for failure. If you go the meds route be sure to have a blood panel done with your DVM to check for liver and kidney function before dosing.

As for the DAP not working because of his age, it won't matter how old. Dogs are hard wired to respond to this hormone so age has no effect on how they respond. But it works differently in each dog but GSD tend to respond well to it. I will dig up some info on it and post it here.

Blog Entries
    thanx to both of you that recomend the DAP im going to try it,what do i have to lose...im thinking that meds are not the way to go now as i never thought about it effecting his health....both me and the wife are gone for at least 8 hrs a day i have to do something to ease his suffering.....i appreciate everyone responses and thank you all for taking the time to help me.....

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by bd50 View Post
    i have an 8 yr old american bulldog with severe separation anxiety. i use the DAP diffuser plug in, and it seems to work well. IT's not only for pups, it works with dogs of all ages.

besides daily exercise/long walks, i put him in his crate with his giant bed, at least 30 mins before i leave the house. that way he's not just thrown in there and we disappear right away. he's only in there maybe 4 hours, then the wife gets home.

also, when you return home, leave him in the crate for at least 20-25 mins, and TOTALLY IGNORE THE DOG. meaning, no eye contact, no verbal "hello", NOTHING.

what this does, is condition the dog to see that you leaving is not the end of the world, and it slowly reduces their anxiety.

it works for us, and i've been doing it for years after a good vet recommended this training.

before this, my dog would literally break the wire crate apart with his teeth, and we would come home to a crate with the wires pointing in different directions. he still gets anxious a few times per month,, but is mostly calm when we leave and return home.

also the only toys i leave him with when i'm not home, are the hard durable nylabones. anything else he will literally destroy and EAT.

good luck!
    ^^^good idea

matt77 is offline Member
    Heres the link to DAP http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=13043

Read about it there but you can get it on ebay a lot cheaper.

Hard.On is offline Senior Member
    ask the youth in Asia what they would do,
    just kidding'
    It takes time

maine_mass is offline New Member
    Nice thread....MY pitt has crazy seperation anxiety. He rips the moldings off from around the doors and windows. I put him in his cage evertime we leave and he instantly starts to shake. when we get back theres a pool of drewl in the floor in the cage and hes soaked and a lil foam under his chin. Its crazy. I am going to build a self propelled treadmill for him and I am definitely going to try that DAP stuff.

matt77 is offline Member
    Give it a try maine for sure. Everyone who trys it let us know if it helped your dog or not.

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Crate training, plus extra exercise always makes a difference.

My girl is a little bitch if she doesnt get at least 1 hour of walking, with 1 hour of playtime everyday.

Blog Entries
    thank you all for your input i will try all your suggestions as i am desperate to help my pooch, it kills me to see him suffer like this.....i appreciate everyones time and attention to my issue....thanx again...

Thread Information