Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."

Anyone own a 3D television?

Was thinking of getting one of these soon. Looking for some opinions as to wether or not it is worth it.

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    i own one a panasonic 58 inch plasma id wait a bit longer before you buy one there not cheap and there's not much for them just yet unless you wanna watch jackass 3d in 3d lol that why i bought mine

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yup, Mitsubishi 73" DLP. I did a LOT of research and read the AV forums before buying. It had great reviews for the picture, 3D quality and low maintenance. $3000 less than anything comparable to it's size.

Ive had it a 2 months now. I just got my FREE rebate copy of Avatar 3D in the mail for my Toshiba 3D DVD player and it looked AWESOME on the TV. I also have Resident Evil Afterlife 3D and 4 sets of shutter glasses.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    the reason I avoid going to 3D movies at the theatre is I don't like wearing the funky glasses. This is the same reason I won't get a 3D TV.

Can you imagine sitting and watching the SuperBowl for 3.5 hours wearing those things?

Eventually,they will have 3D without the funky glasses. But until then...

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Yup, Mitsubishi 73" DLP. I did a LOT of research and read the AV forums before buying. It had great reviews for the picture, 3D quality and low maintenance. $3000 less than anything comparable to it's size.

Ive had it a 2 months now. I just got my FREE rebate copy of Avatar 3D in the mail for my Toshiba 3D DVD player and it looked AWESOME on the TV. I also have Resident Evil Afterlife 3D and 4 sets of shutter glasses.
    My buddy just got the same thing ! A mistu 65 inch and a free Avatar 3D. I never understood why someone would go DLP over LED-LCD. I know there are size limitations but LED-LCDs look so nice.

kelevra is offline Member
    to early in the 3D tech for tv's. It will be like cell phones were 10 years ago. I would wait at min. another year. Remember Lazer disc when DVD came out, Yeah gone bye see ya. How about HD dvd? Yeah Blu Ray won that one. When multiple techs come out at once. And there are a few different TV comps working on differenet types of 3D tech. One eventually proves to be the better and cheaper to produce for the people. So i would wait until that hits the mainstream. PLus the price will drop considerably. Remember 10,000 buck arooney PLasmas?

X83
    X83 is offline Member
    Who wants to wear special glasses ever time they watch a 3D TV?

I'd just go with a regular LED TV because of the superior picture quality and incredible contrast ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    My buddy just got the same thing ! A mistu 65 inch and a free Avatar 3D. I never understood why someone would go DLP over LED-LCD. I know there are size limitations but LED-LCDs look so nice.
    Look at them side by side and then add $3000+ for LED for comparable size. Considering the technology will only get better it makes sense to not overspend for comparable technology when one cost so much more than the other and the real life experience/picture is minimal at best. I not only reviewed online, AV forums I went to many stores where I could see them side by side. I also got a 5yr extended warranty that covers everything for next to nothing, $150 and I did my research on it before buying so I know there is a lot less chance of getting burned than with others. One of the worst warranty companies is the Geek squad. 1000s of unresolved complaints.

Anyway, for the money I love it and it's only about 4" thicker than a LCD. BTW, I also have a 32" LED-LCD, 42" plasma and 110" projection. The Plasma warms up my whole room in about 20 minutes.
    Another side note, on the LED-LCD and Plasma they are expensive to repair any part of it. On the DLP 90% of the time you only have to replace the lamp every 3 years and it runs $75 - $95 It also takes 5 minutes to replace the lamp.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 04-04-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Here are the major differences between a 2D and 3D

2D(DD)

3D(DDD)

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    2D

3D

Quote Originally Posted by X83 View Post
    Who wants to wear special glasses ever time they watch a 3D TV?

I'd just go with a regular LED TV because of the superior picture quality and incredible contrast ratio.
    Actually the glasses are not bad. No cords, not heavy, not even really noticeable unless you think about them. I dont wear glasses and dont even notice them when I am wearing them. Yeah it will be nice when someday you dont need them but for now thats how it is and if you want to watch 3D at the movies or at home you need some type of glasses.

For me personally it is limited with or without glasses. I could see some 3d before but since my detached retina and now my detached lens the world looks 2D for the most part.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Actually the glasses are not bad. No cords, not heavy, not even really noticeable unless you think about them. I dont wear glasses and dont even notice them when I am wearing them. Yeah it will be nice when someday you dont need them but for now thats how it is and if you want to watch 3D at the movies or at home you need some type of glasses.

For me personally it is limited with or without glasses. I could see some 3d before but since my detached retina and now my detached lens the world looks 2D for the most part.
    Even the light weight glasses at the movie house bugs me. Not interested in anything I have to wear to achieve the 3D effect....

Blog Entries
    Look at them side by side and then add $3000+ for LED for comparable size. Considering the technology will only get better it makes sense to not overspend for comparable technology when one cost so much more than the other and the real life experience/picture is minimal at best. I not only reviewed online, AV forums I went to many stores where I could see them side by side. I also got a 5yr extended warranty that covers everything for next to nothing, $150 and I did my research on it before buying so I know there is a lot less chance of getting burned than with others. One of the worst warranty companies is the Geek squad. 1000s of unresolved complaints.

Anyway, for the money I love it and it's only about 4" thicker than a LCD. BTW, I also have a 32" LED-LCD, 42" plasma and 110" projection. The Plasma warms up my whole room in about 20 minutes.
    Another side note, on the LED-LCD and Plasma they are expensive to repair any part of it. On the DLP 90% of the time you only have to replace the lamp every 3 years and it runs $75 - $95 It also takes 5 minutes to replace the lamp.
    Buddy has
    65inch DLP 3D TV $7-800.00
    3D box (extra) $2-300.00
    He gets 2 glasses included but how about when you have company over ? I'm thinking you will need at least two more pares another - $200.00.
    Total 1300.00

My parents:
    55 inch Vizio 240Hz LED-LCD $1500.00
    Nothing else needed
    Total 1,500.00

Parents TV still blows the DLP picture out the water. They also have the ability to mount this TV on the wall if they choose to do so.

If you ask me this 3D is just a fad. It's nice to watch a movie here and there but to watch live TV all in 3D ? Never going to happen.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 04-04-2011 at 07:28 AM.

73" DLP $1100 delivered
    3D Panasonic DVD home stereo system with speakers, $250
    4 sets 3D shutter glasses $250
    Total $1600
    Picture looks great IMO
    Bigger is better. LOL

X83
    X83 is offline Member
    Here's 3D

Herpaderp is offline Junior Member
    My brother got the 47" Sony LCD 3D TV. He payed only $800 but it was a store model that had been on the floor for one year.

We figured it wouldn't matter because it came with a 4-5 year warranty too.
    The graphics are better than cinema 3D/projection screen the only down side is if you want to have your friends over (we threw a
    bash for wrestlemania last night) you need a seperate pair of glasses for everyone. And they cost $150 each.

If anyone knows if you can use the regular cheap movie 3D glasses that would a great way to save money.

Blog Entries
    73" DLP $1100 delivered
    3D Panasonic DVD home stereo system with speakers, $250
    4 sets 3D shutter glasses $250
    Total $1600
    Picture looks great IMO
    Bigger is better. LOL
    He says picture looks great to but honestly it doesn't look as nice as the LCD.

If money is not an object and you can see/justify the price difference between LCD and DLP then you should hold out for 4K.

Quad HD/4K. As its names suggest, the technology provides more than four times the resolution of 1080p HD at 3,840×2,160 (slightly less than the 4K digital cinema standard). While it will require its own set of infrastructure updates (new TVs, additional bandwidth to get the content into your home, etc.), it won’t require any pair of glasses on the end user’s face. (That is, until they make 3D 4K HDTVs, which they certainly will.)

Panasonic 152in 4kTV $130,000
    There are a few others out there also.

Blog Entries
    If money is not an object and you can see/justify the price difference between LCD and DLP then you should hold out for 4K.

Quad HD/4K. As its names suggest, the technology provides more than four times the resolution of 1080p HD at 3,840×2,160 (slightly less than the 4K digital cinema standard). While it will require its own set of infrastructure updates (new TVs, additional bandwidth to get the content into your home, etc.), it won’t require any pair of glasses on the end user’s face. (That is, until they make 3D 4K HDTVs, which they certainly will.)

Panasonic 152in 4kTV $130,000
    There are a few others out there also.
    Just me personally but i don't even want 3D. I just want the best picture possible.

Thread Information