gettingthere is offline Senior Member

How do you deal with the psychological part of bodybuilding?

Just wondered this, think maybe some people would like to pick up some techniques and tips about the hole thing!!

Take for example you look in the mirror at one point, you keep looking and all of a sudden after four weeks of going at it hard you think nothing has changed enough or whatever your goal is!! or not necessarily 4 weeks but you just have one of those bad looks in the mirror that your not happy!!

How do you deal with this?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I look at my log book and feel better.

or worse

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    I get drunk

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    No disrespect but i'm seeing a reoccurring theme in your posts. To me it seems like you are too self conscious. Simply think back to how you looked before you started training, and compare it to now. Be happy with yourself and how far you have come instead of continuing the negative pattern of thinking that you are not big enough/cut enough/hard enough. Because it is a hard habit to break once you fall into it.

Ive never found a way to get over it, i always go away from the mirror for a while and hope the feeling goes away haha

Quote Originally Posted by Friend View Post
    No disrespect but i'm seeing a reoccurring theme in your posts. To me it seems like you are too self conscious. Simply think back to how you looked before you started training, and compare it to now. Be happy with yourself and how far you have come instead of continuing the negative pattern of thinking that you are not big enough/cut enough/hard enough. Because it is a hard habit to break once you fall into it.
    Your good

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post

or worse

X2 ^^ I'm all about the log book

Kibble is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't look in the mirror anymore. I hate it

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Dsm tells me every morning how big i am

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    Here's my quick thoughts on this.. as bodybuilders, we always want more and we're never quite happy with ourselves. For me, once I reach a goal, a new one is in motion. If I happen to backpedal due to various life circumstances, I know how devestating it can be. So stay attuned to what your goals are and do everything through the course of the day keeping those goals in mind. You'll acheive them if you want them. So what is it exactly that you're not happy with?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Dsm tells me every morning how big i am
    Your always BIG when im around...

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Your always BIG when im around...
    you guys shouldnt drag "big" into conversation.....i like him in a non gay way

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    for me, the scale was my biggest enemy for a long time.

i became obsessed with it.

i was in the "fat loss" mode, so then when i tried to get a bit more mass - when i would see one or two lb up on the scale, i'd cut back my food intake, worried i was getting fat....

now, i avoid the scale except once a month....

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
    Just wondered this, think maybe some people would like to pick up some techniques and tips about the hole thing!!

Take for example you look in the mirror at one point, you keep looking and all of a sudden after four weeks of going at it hard you think nothing has changed enough or whatever your goal is!! or not necessarily 4 weeks but you just have one of those bad looks in the mirror that your not happy!!

How do you deal with this?
    This is a lifestyle. Don't expect quick changes. Take pics off yourself once a year and critique your physique. Make changes in your workout to bring up weak points. A year later take pics again and repeat.

Too many expect quick results/changes with their physiques. Your physique will always be a work in progress. Accept that and start living the lifestyle.
    Last edited by Bossman; 05-15-2010 at 01:00 PM.

AlphaGenetics is offline Senior Member
    ^^x2 If you stay with it long enough you will see a change. Frustration can be a bb's worst enemy.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member

or worse
    Are you really one of those guys who writes all that sh*t down? I see guys do this all the time and I think it's a way to disappointment. I dont even know how much I can bench, curl, squat or??? I just make sure I do a good warm up and continue up from there until I max my sets.

I think the best way to know/see how you are doing is forget the mirror. Yes it's nice to know what you look like but try taking pictures one a month. Make sure you use the same background/location. Keep the same distance from the camera and do similar poses each time.

I use these for references. many time I dont see any change from 6 months ago or a year ago...... Until I look at the pictures then it's obvious but if it was not for them I would swear I was the same or maybe smaller.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810 View Post
    This is a lifestyle. Don't expect quick changes. Take pics off yourself once a year and critique your physique. Make changes in your workout to bring up weak points. A year later take pics again and repeat.

Too many expect quick results/changes with their physiques. Your physique will always be a work in progress. Accept that and start living the lifestyle.
    Agreed as I said above but personally I like to take pics at least ever few months.

I also agree. Dont worry about the scale to much. It's frustrating to me because Im trying to GAIN and every time I dip below 180 due to missing a couple meals for a day or two it's quite frustrating. I try not to look at the scale but maybe 1 or 2x a month now.

Thread Information