stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it

Quantum physics and parralel universes

Time travel and parralell universes have always interested me and I try to read up on it when I can. I read a while back about how quantum physicists have proved that a particle can and will be in two places at one time meaning that a parralel universe is very possible.

Just yesterday I came across this article about how they were able toake an object move and stay still at the same time.

Anyone else interested in this stuff?

http://topstories.foxnews.mobi/#r_ht...26pageNum%3D-1

Look past the details of a wonky discovery by a group of California scientists -- that a quantum state is now observable with the human eye -- and consider its implications: Time travel may be feasible. Doc Brown would be proud.

The strange discovery by quantum physicists at the University of California Santa Barbara means that an object you can see in front of you may exist simultaneously in a parallel universe -- a multi-state condition that has scientists theorizing that traveling through time may be much more than just the plaything of science fiction writers.

And it's all because of a tiny bit of metal -- a "paddle" about the width of a human hair, an item that is incredibly small but still something you can see with the naked eye.

UC Santa Barbara's Andrew Cleland cooled that paddle in a refrigerator, dimmed the lights and, under a special bell jar, sucked out all the air to eliminate vibrations. He then plucked it like a tuning fork and noted that it moved and stood still at the same time.

That sounds contradictory, and it's nearly impossible to understand if your last name isn't Einstein. But it actually happened. It's a freaky fact that's at the heart of quantum mechanics.

How Is That Possible?

To even try to understand it, you have to think really, really small. Smaller than an atom. Electrons, which circle the nucleus of an atom, are swirling around in multiple states at the same time -- they're hard to pin down. It's only when we measure the position of an electron that we force it to have a specific location. Cleland's breakthrough lies in taking that hard-to-grasp yet true fact about the atomic particle and applying it to something visible with the naked eye.

What does it all mean? Let's say you're in Oklahoma visiting your aunt. But in another universe, where your atomic particles just can't keep up, you're actually at home watching "The Simpsons." That may sound far-fetched, but it's based on real science.

"When you observe something in one state, one theory is it split the universe into two parts," Cleland told FoxNews.com, trying to explain how there can be multiple universes and we can see only one of them.

The multi-verse theory says the entire universe "freezes" during observation, and we see only one reality. You see a soccer ball flying through the air, but maybe in a second universe the ball has dropped already. Or you were looking the other way. Or they don't even play soccer over there.

Sean Carroll, a physicist at the California Institute of Technology and a popular author, accepts the scientific basis for the multi-verse -- even if it cannot be proven.

"Unless you can imagine some super-advanced alien civilization that has figured this out, we aren't affected by the possible existence of other universes," Carroll said. But he does think "someone could devise a machine that lets one universe communicate with another."

It all comes down to how we understand time.

Carroll suggests that we don't exactly feel time -- we perceive its passing. For example, time moves fast on a rollercoaster and very slowly during a dull college lecture. It races when you're late for work . . . but the last few minutes before quitting time seem like hours.

Back to the Future

"Time seems to be a one-way street that runs from the past to the present," says Fred Alan Wolf, a.k.a. Dr. Quantum, a physicist and author. "But take into consideration theories that look at the level of quantum fields ... particles that travel both forward and backward in time. If we leave out the forward-and-backwards-in-time part, we miss out on some of the physics."

Wolf says that time -- at least in quantum mechanics -- doesn't move straight like an arrow. It zig-zags, and he thinks it may be possible to build a machine that lets you bend time.

Consider Sergei Krikalev, the Russian astronaut who flew six space missions. Richard Gott, a physicist at Princeton University, says Krikalev aged 1/48th of a second less than the rest of us because he orbited at very high speeds. And to age less than someone means you've jumped into the future -- you did not experience the same present. In a sense, he says, Krikalev time-traveled to the future -- and back again!

"Newton said all time is universal and all clocks tick the same way," Gott says. "Now with Einstein's theory of Special Relativity we know that travel into the future is possible. With Einstein's theory of gravity, the laws of physics as we understand them today suggest that even time travel to the past is possible in principle. But to see whether time travel to the past can actually be realized we may have to learn new laws of physics that step in at the quantum level."

And for that, you start with a very tiny paddle in a bell jar.

Cleland has proved that quantum mechanics scale to slightly larger sizes. The next challenge is to learn how to control quantum mechanics and use it for even larger objects. Do so -- and we might be able to warp to parallel universes just by manipulating a few electrons.

"Our concepts of cause and effect will fly out the window," says Ben Bova, the science fiction author. "People will -- for various reasons -- try to fix the past or escape into the future. But we may never notice these effects, if the universe actually diverges. Maybe somebody already has invented a time machine and our history is being constantly altered, but we don't notice the kinks in our path through time."

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    I am very interested in things like that...i know i know hard to believe....but it is true like I Love all the girls I have sex with and want to Marry them

AlphaGenetics is offline Senior Member
    All this mumbo jumbo is based on a theory with small facts to support it. With that said Im still on the fence about believing it. Need bigger facts to support this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGenetics View Post
    All this mumbo jumbo is based on a theory with small facts to support it. With that said Im still on the fence about believing it. Need bigger facts to support this.
    Welcome to theoretical physics they make theories first and then try to find facts to prove it. Wait till u read what they are thinking of Anti matter.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    A very interesting subject, you should check Haz's science thread out bro...
    Do not ask me for a source check.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    A very interesting subject, you should check Haz's science thread out bro...
    Haz and science????? interesting...post the link please I am just lazy as all ways.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Wow...you guys are so simple-minded.

Electroweak unification is a broken symmetry: the electromagnetic and weak forces appear distinct at low energies because the particles carrying the weak force, the W and Z bosons, have a mass of about 100 GeV, whereas the photon, which carries the electromagnetic force, is massless. At higher energies Ws and Zs can be created easily and the unified nature of the force becomes apparent. Grand unification is expected to work in a similar way, but at energies of the order of 1016 GeV, far greater than could be reached by any possible Earth-based particle accelerator. By analogy, unification of the GUT force with gravity is expected at the Planck energy, roughly 1019 GeV.

Just kidding...no idea what I'm talking about.

MMArmour is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    youtube search - String Theory

xibalba is offline New Member
    i remember watching the doc about steven hawking. the satellites in out orbit move like 1 billionth of a second slower due to there weight and thats enough to put sat navs of by 6 miles a week.....

he reackons if you found something heavy enough say a huge black hole and had a space craft that was fast enough to stay close to the black hole and circle it for like 15 years when you got by to earth 30 years would have passed. the time passed all depends on the weight of the black hole. but thats about all i know alough im really intrested in that kind of thing.

banging hot alien chicks!!!! yes please

Quote Originally Posted by xibalba View Post
    i remember watching the doc about steven hawking. the satellites in out orbit move like 1 billionth of a second slower due to there weight and thats enough to put sat navs of by 6 miles a week.....

he reackons if you found something heavy enough say a huge black hole and had a space craft that was fast enough to stay close to the black hole and circle it for like 15 years when you got by to earth 30 years would have passed. the time passed all depends on the weight of the black hole. but thats about all i know alough im really intrested in that kind of thing.

banging hot alien chicks!!!! yes please

ummm I will pass Thank you

MMArmour is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    gnarnia.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    SOB my laptop battery is dying.... i'll revisit this tomorrow.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    and here....we...go

Charlie6 is offline Senior Member
    I am quite interested in this subjet...it's practically (yea literally) my religion

subscribed....i'll be back later when i have more time

Quote Originally Posted by calgarian View Post
    Welcome to theoretical physics they make theories first and then try to find facts to prove it. Wait till u read what they are thinking of Anti matter.
    I had a friend start telling me about the anti matter theory and it seemed pretty crazy. I haven't had a chance to really read into yet tho. Atleast I beleieve that's what he was talking about. Are they calling it black matter?

I saw a doc not to long ago that was talking about how there's an infinite amount of parralell universes and everytime you make a decision more are created. For example if you're trying to decide which tomato to pick out of the hundreds on the shelf after you pick one an alternate universe is created for each tomato so that in each different universe you chose a different tomato. Basically every possible outcome creates a universe and plays out and then those universes create universes and so on.

I'm going back to school in january and have been seriously thinking about going into physics. Just don't know what the career world is like for a physics major.

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    I had a friend start telling me about the anti matter theory and it seemed pretty crazy. I haven't had a chance to really read into yet tho. Atleast I beleieve that's what he was talking about. Are they calling it black matter?

I saw a doc not to long ago that was talking about how there's an infinite amount of parralell universes and everytime you make a decision more are created. For example if you're trying to decide which tomato to pick out of the hundreds on the shelf after you pick one an alternate universe is created for each tomato so that in each different universe you chose a different tomato. Basically every possible outcome creates a universe and plays out and then those universes create universes and so on.

I'm going back to school in january and have been seriously thinking about going into physics. Just don't know what the career world is like for a physics major.
    Anti-matter isn't a theory..... we've created it on earth. It's actually being manufactured..... but to give you an idea of how much it costs to manufacture..... 1 gram of anti-matter would bankrupt the world.

Dark matter is completely different..... they actually believe that dark matter is the most abundant resource in the universe..... yet we've never "captured" it..... but I guess there is actual evidance that it exists.

~Haz~

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Anti-matter isn't a theory..... we've created it on earth. It's actually being manufactured..... but to give you an idea of how much it costs to manufacture..... 1 gram of anti-matter would bankrupt the world.

Dark matter is completely different..... they actually believe that dark matter is the most abundant resource in the universe..... yet we've never "captured" it..... but I guess there is actual evidance that it exists.

~Haz~
    Yeah I guess I was mixing them up. I haven't had a chance to read up on either so I wasn't sure if they were out of the theory stage yet. I'm gonna try to do some reading tonight

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

rocheey is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGenetics View Post
    When Einstein first proposed his theory of gravity, what he offered as proof was that a certain star, would be in a -different- place than it was supposed to be, if you viewed during an eclipse. It was years before they could get the equipment into the right place, at the right time (and with the right weather) to test the theory - and it proved to be true.

Also, it's the "Uncertainty Principle" (of particles being in two places at the same time) that ended up allowing the invention of the cdrom ...

Here's another freaky thought - since a particle can be in 2 places at the same time, you can take a solid lead box, place a cat inside it, and then place a small cylinder containing a highly radioactive, deadly particle, also in the lead box.

Since the particle can be in 2 places at the same time, it is possible for the particle to be both INSIDE the protective cylinder, and OUTSIDE the protective cylinder (and next to the cat) at the same time, Which means the cat can be alive, and dead, at the same time.

I wonder if this applies to ex mother-in-laws, as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post

make sure you go all the way then u will not worry about the money ever in life. But make sure though u go PHD. I would go in mathematics if i have a choice now.
    I have heared that too regarding creating multiple universes just by our decisions. reminded me of matrix 3 the end that what the "professor" was telling him when he went in with key.

~Haz~
    isnt what they thought about black hole till they figure out how to find the elusive thing????

Is it right that if you have anti matter in a small amount you can provide power supply to the whole world? if it is true you think these co-operations will let u do that?

adzy is offline Junior Member
    When i find time i like to read up on certain theories, some of the concepts and ideas are mind boggling. Studying physics in high school really got me started. Any of you guys read any thing about Einstein's theory of relativity? Talks about time dilation and how even time travel can be possible.

If your game check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzOqO12up6Q

^^Carl Sagan one of the greatest modern day theoretical physicists that ever lived!

In other clips he explores the hypothetical 4th dimension, probability of the existence of intelligent civilisations (drake equation) and time travel to name a few.

At the risk of hijacking the thread you guys got to check this clip out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BP...next=1&index=8

^^watch it and listen!

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Discussions like these is why I like AR.

Very interesting guys!
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Some of you might be interested in the Rare Earth Hypothesis which ties in with the Drake Equation and the Fermi Paradox.

Basically it states that for a planet to support life it has to have virtually the same variables our planet has. As in the proximatey to its nearest star, having one moon, having two gas giants like Jupitor and Saturn which act as shields and a million other things that makes life on this planet possible.

It amounts to the odds being recreated like ours to the smallest detail being quite incredible, however if you calculate those odds to the amount of stars in our milkyway, there would theoretically be about 1 million Earth like planets in our galaxy alone.

Whether any of them have civilisation like mankind is another matter all together due to how evolution works. For instance, if you took the entire evolution history of this planet as a tape recorder, rewound it to the beginning and let it play, life would not evolve in exactly the same way. Natural Selection would still work, but you have to factor in Genetic Drift and Mutation, while being random factors, have massive effects on evolution. If an asteroid didnt wipe out the last of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, we could easily not be here.

It should be noted that life can potentially exist anywhere, providing there is water. Light doesnt even have to be a factor.

Also what has to be taken into consideration is this. If we assume that there are 1 million other earth planets in the galaxy, and that at least half of them have intelligent life like us, the chances of meeting any of them are very slim, if it is assumed that the speed of light cannot be broken. Communication could be possible, but that'd be about it.

Just some food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Some of you might be interested in the Rare Earth Hypothesis which ties in with the Drake Equation and the Fermi Paradox.

Basically it states that for a planet to support life it has to have virtually the same variables our planet has. As in the proximatey to its nearest star, having one moon, having two gas giants like Jupitor and Saturn which act as shields and a million other things that makes life on this planet possible.

It amounts to the odds being recreated like ours to the smallest detail being quite incredible, however if you calculate those odds to the amount of stars in our milkyway, there would theoretically be about 1 million Earth like planets in our galaxy alone.

Whether any of them have civilisation like mankind is another matter all together due to how evolution works. For instance, if you took the entire evolution history of this planet as a tape recorder, rewound it to the beginning and let it play, life would not evolve in exactly the same way. Natural Selection would still work, but you have to factor in Genetic Drift and Mutation, while being random factors, have massive effects on evolution. If an asteroid didnt wipe out the last of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, we could easily not be here.

It should be noted that life can potentially exist anywhere, providing there is water. Light doesnt even have to be a factor.

Also what has to be taken into consideration is this. If we assume that there are 1 million other earth planets in the galaxy, and that at least half of them have intelligent life like us, the chances of meeting any of them are very slim, if it is assumed that the speed of light cannot be broken. Communication could be possible, but that'd be about it.

and then think about this..... if there are 1 million other planets that are like ours in OUR galaxy..... imagine how many planets are like ours in the universe......

I remember watching a program on how the chances of life being on another planet an looking like us would be extremilly extremilly rare.....

It was said that the same common prinicples would apply tho..... predators would have eyes in front of the head and prey would have eyes on the side..... stuff like that.....

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

rocheey is offline Junior Member
    Anti-matter isn't a theory..... we've created it on earth. It's actually being manufactured.....
    and being used daily in medicine.

There are different types of AntiMatter - the anti-proton, the anti-electron, etc ... the anti matter version of the electron is called the "Positron".

You ever hear of someone going in for a "PET Scan" ? PET stands for Positron Emission Tomography ... yep, in a PET scan, you are getting blasted with anti-matter....

I wonder what doing a cycle of THAT sh*t would be like ?

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post

I guess it applies for Exact replica for human beings...here some food for thought.....there is a theory that all the human beings are martians when planet was dying out forefathers migrated to Earth and adopted living here among other things. And eventually planet died recent finding on Mars from the robots supports this theory by saying water was found on Mars.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I think you are all crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I think you are all crazy.
    join the club......

Thread Information