Family Guy is offline Banned

Question Calling all DJ's. And music lovers !!

Hello i am crazy about music. Hip hop and electro house. I was thinking about buying. 2 cd players from pioneer and a mixer. Some of u guys who are in to this. Or kan give me some info ? I just think about starting with this. like a hoby and play for fun. Because i am music lover

Thanks !!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    If you are just starting out, you may consider Craigslist. I've been buying up some real fantastic equipment, for pennies on the dollar. it's a great way to buy quality on a tight budget. Just a thought.....

vanduhl is offline Senior Member
    Family Guy,

I am a musician myself for 10 years now.
    Ive been in:

-2 metal bands
    -one jam band
    -1 acoustic set
    -writing movie scores

I love music but im not sure if you want advice with producing it? or are you just a real big fan?

Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    Hello i am crazy about music. Hip hop and electro house. I was thinking about buying. 2 cd players from pioneer and a mixer. Some of u guys who are in to this. Or kan give me some info ? I just think about starting with this. like a hoby and play for fun. Because i am music lover

Thanks !!
    I started as a DJ at 16 doing weddings and school dances... broke into the clubs at 18 and started my own company a sound crew essentially. Worked the clubs till I was 22. I have 2 Denon S5000 CD players and DNx1500 Mixer, 2 Tech 1200's MK5 and a Behinger mixer... A mac book with Scratch Live.... Sound boards coming out my ass and more music/software than you could dream of.

You're just looking to do this for fun... not anything special? Let me know... what you're looking to achieve or if it will always just be a hobby. However I do agree with one post as to looking on craigs list but you gotta be careful with buying some of this gear.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post

Thanks !!
    Don't leave out a good turntable like a dual CS-5000 with a ortofon cartridge.
    and you can pick up vinyl cheaply too. To me music sounds better on a turntable but in the end it is all personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    Don't leave out a good turntable like a dual CS-5000 with a ortofon cartridge.
    and you can pick up vinyl cheaply too. To me music sounds better on a turntable but in the end it is all personal preference.
    What? Those tables suck... They are belt driven. Any belt driven turntable is garbage. Oh and the cartridge is subpar as well. No offence but the only good turntables have the name technique on them.

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi View Post
    What? Those tables suck... They are belt driven. Any belt driven turntable is garbage. Oh and the cartridge is subpar as well. No offence but the only good turntables have the name technique on them.
    you mean technics?

Anyway i have vestax pdx2000's and a vestax 07pro-d smaurai. I dont mind them, however i like the feel of my old 1200's. They felt solid, and looked the part too i think they weigh 13kg each vestax decks are like 7kg... Sitll not bad decks lots of features but there is somethign sexual about 1200's

Im not sure for your sort of music but maybe a pioneer djm400 for a mixer if you want house elcetro ect then effects might be needed down the line..

There is alot of solid gear around these days, mainly brands like numark stanton ect have really stepped it up, there are also cheaper brands like reloop on the scene that i believe have some ok equipment (judging from otherpeople)

You need to decide if you want to spin vinyl or cds.. At least turntables give you the option of DVS but its expensive fore a traktor or serato setup.

Perhaps if you have enough cash you can go with a numark ns7?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q_FpuDxLlo

I have had a fiddle with one of these and it is quite impressive.

Good luck

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Not bad it only took 16 minutes for someone to jump my A$$ over the belt driven turntable. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to respond to this. Just checking to see who is on top of their game here.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post
    you mean technics?

Anyway i have vestax pdx2000's and a vestax 07pro-d smaurai. I dont mind them, however i like the feel of my old 1200's. They felt solid, and looked the part too i think they weigh 13kg each vestax decks are like 7kg... Sitll not bad decks lots of features but there is somethign sexual about 1200's

Im not sure for your sort of music but maybe a pioneer djm400 for a mixer if you want house elcetro ect then effects might be needed down the line..

There is alot of solid gear around these days, mainly brands like numark stanton ect have really stepped it up, there are also cheaper brands like reloop on the scene that i believe have some ok equipment (judging from otherpeople)

You need to decide if you want to spin vinyl or cds.. At least turntables give you the option of DVS but its expensive fore a traktor or serato setup.

Perhaps if you have enough cash you can go with a numark ns7?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q_FpuDxLlo

I have had a fiddle with one of these and it is quite impressive.

Good luck
    Yes, its exactly what I meant.... I was writing on my phone and it finished the word for me... It was too late when I noticed.... I knew someone would correct me

Also n00bs, you are right about the sexual look of the tech's I just love em... I haven't been in the scene for almost 5 years now and a lot has changed.... I check out that demo vid and they look pretty sweet. I come from a semi old skool era... not too old skool though. when I started Pioneer CDJ 500's were the shit!!

Then when the Denon S-5000's came out I loved them bought some of the first ones on the market. Still nothing compares to a technic especially now that you have programs like Serato Scratch Live....

n00bs is offline Member
    Also n00bs, you are right about the sexual look of the tech's I just love em... I haven't been in the scene for almost 5 years now and a lot has changed.... I check out that demo vid and they look pretty sweet. I come from a semi old skool era... not too old skool though. when I started Pioneer CDJ 500's were the shit!!

Then when the Denon S-5000's came out I loved them bought some of the first ones on the market. Still nothing compares to a technic especially now that you have programs like Serato Scratch Live....
    Yep i agree..

However stanton make some good decks now days apparently.. When i started they opened up shop a fews years later and had crap gear.. Numark have also come along way this used to be novice equipment..

Gemini was always a bit of both worlds the umx mixers dor battle djs were dope but they never had much of the scene except for the early day mixers...

If he posts a budget i can reccomend some gear, with out budget its like reccomending a r35 gtr to someone who wants to start racing..

I started as a DJ at 16 doing weddings and school dances... broke into the clubs at 18 and started my own company a sound crew essentially. Worked the clubs till I was 22. I have 2 Denon S5000 CD players and DNx1500 Mixer, 2 Tech 1200's MK5 and a Behinger mixer... A mac book with Scratch Live.... Sound boards coming out my ass and more music/software than you could dream of.

You're just looking to do this for fun... not anything special? Let me know... what you're looking to achieve or if it will always just be a hobby. However I do agree with one post as to looking on craigs list but you gotta be careful with buying some of this gear.
    I have plenty of DJ friends here. And i love to see them play. I have always been a big fan of music. But now do i deside to step it up. I am a plumber back home in Europe. But now do i live and enjoy my life in Thailand. I also been working like a security guard in them clubs. But i am not in to that anymore.

Thats why i want to learn how to mix electro house. And maby i kan start work in a club when i go back home in 1-2 years. And i know thme DJ's here will let me play some in the end of the nights

I spend alot time on this forum and internet. So buying a mix table and 2 cd players is nothing to me. I just love to spend some time doing this. And learn how to DJ'ing. How much would u guys put in to it ? Money is not the problem. but we not need to go bananas.

One more thing what computet programs do u guys use. DJ-Essentials,Traktor or others ?

Thanks !!
    Last edited by Family Guy; 07-14-2010 at 01:24 AM.

n00bs is offline Member
    Serato or traktor are the 2 main..

Yes there are other systems but these guys are on top at the moment..

If you want to spin in clubs buy the eqipment clubs will have.. Generally it is a pioneer djm800 and 1200's with some cdj's..

At least you will then be familier with the equipment.

My friend have new DJM 400's and CDJ 400's is this just bunk. Or is it ok to start with ? Not get me wrong but cash is not a problem... And if them 400's is just bunk. Then i not eaven want to bother with it. I had this idea to join a DJ forum. But wanted to ask u guys first...

No one had anything more to say ??

n00bs is offline Member
    I gave u the best ideas lol

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    This is purely for my own knowledge but did spinning get you guys any p--sy

Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    This is purely for my own knowledge but did spinning get you guys any p--sy
    what do you think.....

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    what do you think.....
    lol bertuzzi

thinking cap says yes

Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    lol bertuzzi

thinking cap says yes
    If you DJ in a real club.... girls treat you like your some sort of famous rock star.... Especially when you have an open tab at the bar and fill them full of hooter shooters

If you DJ in a real club.... girls treat you like your some sort of famous rock star.... Especially when you have an open tab at the bar and fill them full of hooter shooters
    if u have some cocaine. them suck u of when u playing

Thread Information