Thread: Sheiko

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!

Sheiko

I know most people here are into general fitness, but I know there are also bodybuilders, and least of all, powerlifters.
    It is that time of year again, and my training has just shifted back to powerlifting for upcoming meets this fall.
    I have always just freestyled my training in powerlifting and saw good results.
    I trained with Ron Palmer for awhile and although I learned equipment pretty well, my raw power went down, which was no good since I compete raw.
    I have had an open invitation to train with Rocky Tilson, but I can't get to where he is regularly enough.
    I have hung out with a few WPO champions and picked their brains for awhile to help give me an over all good idea of how to approach the three big lifts. People like Kara Bohigan, Dondell Blue, Tony Conyers, Ron Palmer, Rocky Tilson, Dr. Latch, Nick Winters, and some others.

Anyway, when this time of year comes around, I usually start thinking about following a pre written routine for maximum gains. I looked at Westside stuff, and it is just far too complicated, and involves too much band, chain, shirt, suit, etc work.

I have always been a BIG FAN of Russian EVERYTHING. I found a system of Russian Strength Training developed by Boris Sheiko that is simply refered to as "Sheiko Training".

It seems solid, I just started it and like it alot so far, and I have read good reviews.

WELL!!!!!! Since I really respect alot of the members here, and their knowledge on all aspects of training, I wanted to know what you guys had to say about Sheiko training or even just good Strength Routines/Methods in general.

Any advice would be apreciated

Oh, right now these are my current stats:
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 195lbs
    Bench Press: 395lbs
    Deadlift: 500lbs
    Squat: 405lbs

These lifts are completely raw, no suits, shirts, wraps of any kind, etc.
    On my squat, I currently do shoulder width stance, ass to grass (I literally sit on my ankles and pause in the hole before going back up). Deadlift is also conventional, not sumo.

I am hoping for a national record in bench press, My class is Junior 198lbs and the National Raw Record Bench Press is 385. I can do 395 touch and go, but i want to get even more, so I can be sure I can do at least 390 clean competition style.

THANKS GUYS!

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Careful of overtraining when using the Sheiko training. The russian training methods were based on heavy anabolic use through most of its training cycles. So if you're going to use the Sheiko method, make sure your cycle is dialed in. I've used it and trust me it works, but you're joints will suffer. Recovery is definitely key.

I'd post this in the powerlifting section as well because most of the powerlifters who have used these type methods can also comment on this.

Dude I am super stoked that you have not only heard of Sheiko, but that you have tried it!
    Would you mind sharing what type of results you saw, and in what time frame? I would really appreciate it.

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    Smolov squat program. Enough said.

Sheiko is good, but yes all russian programs are geared towards heavy AAS usage.

My squat went through the roof. I leaned out but put on some quality muscle with the Sheiko plan. My deadlift went up only only about 5% but my squat went up about 20-25%. So those are the ups I had with the program.

Now, the negatives, because of my injuries I suffered from other sports (9yr pro football career), my joints really suffered doing sheiko. I really couldn't sustain that level without excess levels of deca and we know what the side effects of deca are, right? :-( LOL!!!!

It's a great program, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, or even intermediates. Only experienced weightlifters should use this program long term. Otherwise I'd use it building up for one contest then switching to another program for a while. This program is designed for people who do this for a living. If you have another physically intensive job, I wouldn't recommend it.

Give it go, brotha!! You'll love the results, just be careful not to overtrain. Take care of those joints brotha!! Recovery, recovery, recovery!!!!

I appreciate the advice!

I do try and do alot of work to prevent injury, especially for my shoulders. I usually will do 5lbs shoulder rotations to the front and rear, or use a resistance band, in between sets of bench. I get deep tissue massages monthly, and recently started stretch classes.
    I also drink a ton of water (well, about two gallons a day) and take amino acids before and after workouts.

Currently I am running Test at 500mg a week and Tren at 300mg a week. No decca, but I have thought about running it later.

Anything else I can do to help with injury prevention and joint recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    I appreciate the advice!

I do try and do alot of work to prevent injury, especially for my shoulders. I usually will do 5lbs shoulder rotations to the front and rear, or use a resistance band, in between sets of bench. I get deep tissue massages monthly, and recently started stretch classes.
    I also drink a ton of water (well, about two gallons a day) and take amino acids before and after workouts.

Currently I am running Test at 500mg a week and Tren at 300mg a week. No decca, but I have thought about running it later.

Anything else I can do to help with injury prevention and joint recovery?

Glycosamine and Condroitin (sp?). Deca and plenty of rest. 3-4 weeks into your training cycle, I would suggest dedicating one day for rehab/prehab work and massage.

Thread Information