cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

How do you become a Personal Trainer?

First what license do you have to obtain and how / what organization? I have heard there are both legit and not so legit training and licensing programs floating around. I'm in the US

Second can you make a career of it or is it almost always a secondary source of income? Thanks

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Requirements for being a PT= being a douche.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    I recommend NSCA, NASM, or ACSM. These are pretty accredited associations. As far as income goes, this will determine if your in an area with high end clients. Usually pursuing this road will almost always start out as a secondary source of income.

Until you build a reputation and have a vast list of personal clientele, there isn't much money in it IMO.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    The only REAL personal trainer I know, and the only one I would take advice from has advanced degrees in sports physiology, exercise science type stuff along with his certifications.

The rest of the dudes it seems just take a class and become salesmen.

spoken_truth is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    The only REAL personal trainer I know, and the only one I would take advice from has advanced degrees in sports physiology, exercise science type stuff along with his certifications.

thats true, most the trainers i see at the gym have no clue what there doing, its kinda funny to watch

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    I recommend NSCA, NASM, or ACSM. These are pretty accredited associations. As far as income goes, this will determine if your in an area with high end clients. Usually pursuing this road will almost always start out as a secondary source of income.

Until you build a reputation and have a vast list of personal clientele, there isn't much money in it IMO.
    i agree. Its a waste of time imo. If you put the energy it takes to make a living off of being a pt into another carreer you would be more successfull.

The certs hawaiian mentioned are very good. I would go with ACE. Its excepted everywhere and its cheaper and faster to get. If your just starting out i woudl go that route you can always get more certs down the road.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

Colts18 is offline Junior Member
    if you have gold chains, tight shirt, too much cologne, and over complicate every excercise, (ie dumbell bench press on swiss ball), you might be a personal trainer.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post

correct, ive worked with afew con artists.

OP, i PT'd for three years and it isnt reliable income and can be actually expense in terms of paying gym rent!! people come and go and mess you around no end with no shows and cancelations. i personally wouldnt work as one again, if you are determined to go into the industry, aim more towards management but it is more sales orienitated than anything else. you could go into coaching in which case you'll need a huge reputation in a related field.

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    ACE is a good faster way to get a cert. a lot of my buddies make real good money, just took them a little while too get up there

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici

Arian is offline Associate Member
    Going get my AFAA cert this weekend. Doing a workshop. Only three full days, so not bad. I figure I love being in the gym and helping people learn how to train right, so if I can get paid to do that, then awesome. Don't need crazy amounts of money. Just enough to pay the bills.

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arian View Post
    Going get my AFAA cert this weekend. Doing a workshop. Only three full days, so not bad. I figure I love being in the gym and helping people learn how to train right, so if I can get paid to do that, then awesome. Don't need crazy amounts of money. Just enough to pay the bills.
    we think the same way bro.....like it

Vettester is offline Banned
    The only trainer I ever worked with was a former competitive BB. It was back in the 90's, but I had to drop him when I took a job that moved me to Cali. He didn't have any of the certificates, but his routine and attention to detail was superior to what I'm seeing with these guys running around 24hr fit. He works for an independent gym in another state, otherwise I'd be back with him.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    The only trainer I ever worked with was a former competitive BB. It was back in the 90's, but I had to drop him when I took a job that moved me to Cali. He didn't have any of the certificates, but his routine and attention to detail was superior to what I'm seeing with these guys running around 24hr fit. He works for an independent gym in another state, otherwise I'd be back with him.
    these generally count for sod all in reality, any numb nut can do a course, someone with a sporting backround and years of exp counts for more. i know one guy who used 'tips' from Mens Health, kinda says it all

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    I used to run a city run Rec. Center.

If you get your certs, and look the part, and are in line price wise, you can start off going to a Ymca (last resort), or a parks and recreation center with a decent gym. Talk to the programmers there, offer to start a class, or better yet, weight room orientation.

That'll get you started, and give you some locked in times. Advertising is usually done by the Center, so you'll start with very little overhead. Most good instructors usually build from there into other gyms (which have their own criteria for PT'ers in their gym; usually, a copy of their certs, insurance that has said gym on your list of those not liable, and of course, you buy a membership.) like a Golds, etc.

That's how I'd do it. And I'd go ACE, then there's one based outta Phoenix I think that is more preferred by better clubs/gyms. NSCA maybe?

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Thread Information