GymHero is offline Senior Member

Anxiety is acting up, what do you think?

I haven't had anything to drink in almost a year until this week. This was the last week of summer and a lot of my close friends were leaving the state to start school this week so I went out and partied with them. Mon-Thurs we all went out each night and I was pretty drunk each night. Friday-Sun I had really low energy and felt like shit . I stayed in friday/saturday and when I woke up sunday my anxiety was extremely bad and i was constipated. I am currently taking an SSRI for my anxiety and have been for about 8 months. I have been doing really good lately and having had any problems. I wanted your opinons on if you think that my heavy drinking this week can be the cause. I have heard alcohol does the opposite that an SSRI does by lowering serotonine but I didn't think that a few nights would effect me as bad as this. As far as being constipated, I have taken a laxitive and some herbal tea and haven't had much luck. I think tomorrow I will go buy a stool softener and see if that helps :/. Also I was thinking that maybe since I am on the min dose of my SSRI that maybe it is losing its effect? I'm going to make a doc app as soon as I can but wanted to see what you all thought.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    What the ****? What the **** is SSRI?

You speak of drinking and anxiety though so here's my diagnosis based on a limited understanding of what you are going through. Plus im one of the only miserable assholes online at 4:30 am ET.

Drinking will **** you up. I don't care how beefcake you are, if you get drunk several days a week eventually it will mess you up. This is coming from someone active in AA on and off again every so often.

Anxiety is a bitch. Anxiety leads to not being able to talk to women, not being able to talk to dudes. etc.

I experienced a lot of anxiety as a youth. I was an ugly duckling. I mean I was fugly. I had big glasses and buck teeth. I got contacts and braces and still felt like that ugly asshole. The best way to combat anxiety is to acknowledge that you have a problem, and work towards fixing it every day of your life. I went from being an ugly nerd to being someone who can right now in this moment walk up to a big tittied cheerleader and ask her if she wants to ****. Did it happen overnight of course not. It took a lot of days of hanging my balls out in the wind and not giving a ****. Lots of hours spent analyzing life. Lots of hours spent listening to self help tapes. But the main ingredient was giving a shit and wanting to make a change. This was the biggest ingredient in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post

You speak of drinking and anxiety though so here's my diagnosis based on a limited understanding of what you are going through. Plus im one of the only miserable assholes online at 4:30 am ET.

Drinking will **** you up. I don't care how beefcake you are, if you get drunk several days a week eventually it will mess you up. This is coming from someone active in AA on and off again every so often.

Anxiety is a bitch. Anxiety leads to not being able to talk to women, not being able to talk to dudes. etc.

I experienced a lot of anxiety as a youth. I was an ugly duckling. I mean I was fugly. I had big glasses and buck teeth. I got contacts and braces and still felt like that ugly asshole. The best way to combat anxiety is to acknowledge that you have a problem, and work towards fixing it every day of your life. I went from being an ugly nerd to being someone who can right now in this moment walk up to a big tittied cheerleader and ask her if she wants to ****. Did it happen overnight of course not. It took a lot of days of hanging my balls out in the wind and not giving a ****. Lots of hours spent analyzing life. Lots of hours spent listening to self help tapes. But the main ingredient was giving a shit and wanting to make a change. This was the biggest ingredient in the mix.

SSRI is an anti depressant. I went to the doc around a year ago and he toled me I may have a chemical imbalance ( lack of serotonin ). I went on Prozac ( fluoxetine ) and it took away my anxiety completely but I still have my days. Sounds like what you were going through was a lack of confidence? My anxiety is more like feeling on the edge, anxiousness, and I tend to worry a lot about random bullshit that I know will never happen.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member

Looks like you and I look at anxiety the same way. I had and have anxiety sometime but I would never take anything for it. I understand that it's due to circumstances and I have to deal with it.

Yes drinking lowers your serotonin and CAUSES depression in many people. Also anti depression medicine causes depression; that one I never understood.......

You seem to know what is triggering your anxiety/depression, deal with it, talk about it and mostly understand it's just life and get over it. Yeah some people like to say YOU just dont understand but some of us think we do because we have it, feel it but deal with it.

One of the things that gets my anxiety going is IF I try to go out alone on a weekend to a bar or anywhere. I have taken hours to walk out of my house to go to a bar 3 blocks away alone; but I forced myself to do it and it go easier each time. The more you deal with what causes the anxiety the easier it gets.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    One of the things that gets my anxiety going is IF I try to go out alone on a weekend to a bar or anywhere. I have taken hours to walk out of my house to go to a bar 3 blocks away alone; but I forced myself to do it and it go easier each time. The more you deal with what causes the anxiety the easier it gets.
    Good stuff Lovbyts and I agree totally. Anxiety is one of those things that you will not whip overnight. The question is how bad do you want to whip it? Do you want to whip the shit out of it to where it doesn't exist? Because you can. Its up to you. It will take diligence and practice every day. But if thats your goal, eventually you can whip the shit out of it til you get zero anxiety from talking to anyone, from a dumbass to the hottest bitch you've ever seen. Again the question is are you willing to admit you want that ability and then are you willing to work towards it?

Good stuff Lovbyts and I agree totally. Anxiety is one of those things that you will not whip overnight. The question is how bad do you want to whip it? Do you want to whip the shit out of it to where it doesn't exist? Because you can. Its up to you. It will take diligence and practice every day. But if thats your goal, eventually you can whip the shit out of it til you get zero anxiety from talking to anyone, from a dumbass to the hottest bitch you've ever seen. Again the question is are you willing to admit you want that ability and then are you willing to work towards it?
    I have no problem socializing, I have the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder. I have had no problem with this until recently I started feeling it again and i think it may be due to the alcohol I had this week.

Quote Originally Posted by GymHero View Post
    I have no problem socializing, I have the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder. I have had no problem with this until recently I started feeling it again and i think it may be due to the alcohol I had this week.
    It's not only socializing. Different triggers for different people. It could be flying, being alone, being in crowds, going home anything.

Some people say they have no trigger but I find that hard to believe it seems like Most of the time (not all maybe) that they tend to have something going on in life.

supersize me is offline Associate Member
    Tell me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression you weren't supposed to drink while taking a SSRI. Especially if it's anywhere near the quantities my friends consume when we go out together.

I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious though. No matter what, don't stop taking your medicine.

Drinking alcohol when taking an SSRI is not a good idea for several reasons. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and since the SSRI's can cause sedation, the combination can be dangerous. Many people report that when taking an SSRI, even if they do not feel sedated, alcohol effects them more strongly than usual, and one drink may feel like two to four. In addition, alcohol can depress mood.

It makes little sense to be taking both a depressant and an antidepressant.

Drinking alcohol when taking an SSRI is not a good idea for several reasons. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and since the SSRI's can cause sedation, the combination can be dangerous. Many people report that when taking an SSRI, even if they do not feel sedated, alcohol effects them more strongly than usual, and one drink may feel like two to four. In addition, alcohol can depress mood.

It makes little sense to be taking both a depressant and an antidepressant.
    Completely agree, This was the first time I have drank while being on my ssri, weird that it hit me days after I drank tho?

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    It's not only socializing. Different triggers for different people. It could be flying, being alone, being in crowds, going home anything.

Some people say they have no trigger but I find that hard to believe it seems like Most of the time (not all maybe) that they tend to have something going on in life.
    If he has Generalized Anxiety Disorder then there aren't necessarily any specific triggers. This type of anxiety is one of the stranger varieties.

Quote Originally Posted by tjax03 View Post
    If he has Generalized Anxiety Disorder then there aren't necessarily any specific triggers. This type of anxiety is one of the stranger varieties.
    I know what you are saying but knowing people who have this I can see the triggers. The triggers are not necessarily correspond with the time of the attach but they are there.

I think doctors label it to quickly at Generalized instead of looking for the problem. It's easier to write a prescription.

Shinalynn is offline Female Member
    I haven't had anything to drink in almost a year until this week. This was the last week of summer and a lot of my close friends were leaving the state to start school this week so I went out and partied with them. Mon-Thurs we all went out each night and I was pretty drunk each night. Friday-Sun I had really low energy and felt like shit . I stayed in friday/saturday and when I woke up sunday my anxiety was extremely bad and i was constipated. I am currently taking an SSRI for my anxiety and have been for about 8 months. I have been doing really good lately and having had any problems. I wanted your opinons on if you think that my heavy drinking this week can be the cause. I have heard alcohol does the opposite that an SSRI does by lowering serotonine but I didn't think that a few nights would effect me as bad as this. As far as being constipated, I have taken a laxitive and some herbal tea and haven't had much luck. I think tomorrow I will go buy a stool softener and see if that helps :/. Also I was thinking that maybe since I am on the min dose of my SSRI that maybe it is losing its effect? I'm going to make a doc app as soon as I can but wanted to see what you all thought.
    What is is bold, is why I think you are having your anxiety. I have dont have anxiety all the time, BUT I do get stressed out and have attacks. I am pretty sure your close friends leaving you is why your having anxiety, and bc you drank so much is why your consitpated.. IMHO

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    It amazes me how many people have anxiety and depression nowadays. Seems like everyone is on something, including myself.

Friends leaving, alcohol, yeah, that can cause it. Another cause could be that you've become accustomed to the Prozac.

Taking something like Paxil can help both anxiety and depression, or having something like Xanax can help if you're prone to the occasional severe attack.

But if you're so dehydrated that you need to buy a stool softner, then you've really been hitting the bottle, and I'm going to bet thats the main cause of your problems.

Seratonin takes a major hit from alcohol consumption.

Stigmata101 is offline Senior Member

I just got done using an enema and little to nothing came out, maybe I didnt wait long enough or something idk! Currently adding a lot of fiber/flaxseed to my diet, hopefully this doesn't last too much longer!

I just got done using an enema and little to nothing came out, maybe I didnt wait long enough or something idk! Currently adding a lot of fiber/flaxseed to my diet, hopefully this doesn't last too much longer!
    TMI LOL

Personally I like slimming Tea, it's an Asian tea availalbe at most health food stores and many others. I use two tea bags and 8 hrs later (take it at bedtime) things are moving.

I take them on trips/vacation with me. My system seems to stop working when I am away from home. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by stevey_6t9 View Post
    Honestly, this is exactly what my face looks like

TMI LOL

Personally I like slimming Tea, it's an Asian tea availalbe at most health food stores and many others. I use two tea bags and 8 hrs later (take it at bedtime) things are moving.

I take them on trips/vacation with me. My system seems to stop working when I am away from home. LOL
    If I don't notice a change soon I will give this tea a try.

Thread Information