Thread: Buying a house.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Buying a house.

Is there anything special i should know when picking out a realtor? How does it all work ? We want to start looking at houses. We know the general area we want to live.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    CONGRATS MAN!

Just remember..... every realtor is going to hose you LOL! My best friends sister was helping me sell my house..... she said she';d take care of us.... heh.... well long story short..... we stood to make $2500 off our house and she was going to make a nice $12,000. That didn't sit well with me so we decided to stay.

Anyways..... you need to look at multiple houses..... set a budget and plan to stick pretty close to it. Sometimes going slightly over budget for a house you truely love and seems to be in great shape is worth it. Other times..... you may find a house thats in great shape, fits all the criteria you want, and it's under budget.....

As far as realtors go..... weichert seems to have a lot of success..... atleast in NJ they do. Am I invited to the house warming party?

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    CONGRATS MAN!

Just remember..... every realtor is going to hose you LOL! My best friends sister was helping me sell my house..... she said she';d take care of us.... heh.... well long story short..... we stood to make $2500 off our house and she was going to make a nice $12,000. That didn't sit well with me so we decided to stay.

Anyways..... you need to look at multiple houses..... set a budget and plan to stick pretty close to it. Sometimes going slightly over budget for a house you truely love and seems to be in great shape is worth it. Other times..... you may find a house thats in great shape, fits all the criteria you want, and it's under budget.....

As far as realtors go..... weichert seems to have a lot of success..... atleast in NJ they do. Am I invited to the house warming party?

~Haz~
    I might be looking in NJ. I'll invite you only if you first show us your ab's

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    We used Remax and just went with the first available realtor there and everything went fine. We told them what we wanted, the price range and area and they printed out the houses in that price range and area. We looked at them and bought the one that fit our wants and needs. No problems. They handled the underwriters and loan and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    HAHA nice man - south, north, or anonymous?

I'll get a new one up..... gimmie 10 lol

~Haz~

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

Blog Entries
    HAHA nice man - south, north, or anonymous?

I'll get a new one up..... gimmie 10 lol

~Haz~
    North

Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    We used Remax and just went with the first available realtor there and everything went fine. We told them what we wanted, the price range and area and they printed out the houses in that price range and area. We looked at them and bought the one that fit our wants and needs. No problems. They handled the underwriters and loan and everything.
    How much did they take ?

And yeah like Haz says they do make money off of the sellers 7-8% on the sale i believe.

North

How much did they take ?
    I'll have to dig up the loan and get back with you on that one. There were all kinds of fees though, like termite inspection, and the appraisal fees, and fees to inspect the house for mechanical issues, etc.

Just dont be afraid to speak up an ask whatever realtor all your questions. And when you do but, be ready to sign a buttload of papers at closing. Its unreal, but part of being a home owner.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if any houses include children...

DSM I dont think they took anything as the make their money off of the sale from the seller. That is where the 7-8% comes into play and if it is on the market from another realty company and your realtor sells it, I think that your realtor splits that 7-8% with the other realty companys man that has it on the market.

I wonder if any houses include children...
    Only in China and Russia

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Look for deals where the seller pays all fees. Many sellers are willing to do this to either avoid foreclosure or other reasons to get out of there quicker such as job transfer.

You should apply to be on that hgtv show house hunters lol. I work at a furniture store and have to watch that show all day.

Blog Entries
    Only in China and Russia
    That would make for a hell of a commute in the morning to work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    Look for deals where the seller pays all fees. Many sellers are willing to do this to either avoid foreclosure or other reasons to get out of there quicker such as job transfer.

You should apply to be on that hgtv show house hunters lol. I work at a furniture store and have to watch that show all day.
    We are watching it now for the first time lol

I'll have to dig up the loan and get back with you on that one. There were all kinds of fees though, like termite inspection, and the appraisal fees, and fees to inspect the house for mechanical issues, etc.
    don't forget the Radon gas test, well water testing if you don't have sewer, etc.....

Just dont be afraid to speak up an ask whatever realtor all your questions. And when you do but, be ready to sign a buttload of papers at closing. Its unreal, but part of being a home owner.
    OMFG..... the paperwork was FVCKING UNREAL...... take extra potasium and Taurine.... you're hand will cramp.

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    My first career was in financial services, including mortgages. I had to deal with realtors and escrow companies all the time. When it comes to realtors, you may ask for references. (and if you do this, call the references!) You may also ask how long they have been a realtor, as getting a newb is not the same as getting one that is successful and has been at it for awhile. The way it works, typically, is when you call a realty, the one that talks to you first (beyond the secretary if they have that), is the one that will try to help you out. That spells RANDOM! Not always a good idea. Another question you should ask is how long the realtor has been in the area you are looking at. The Realtor should have an excellent working knowledge of the area. The Realtor should be full of information and advice, sure of themself, and personable. If something about the Realtor rubs you the wrong way, by all means ask to work with another realtor. One of the best attributes of a realtor, beyond technical expertise, is PATIENCE!!! My woman had the realtor look at over 30 houses before finally settling on this one. This took over a month. We ended up buying in the same neighborhood as our realtor, and his daughter and my son were very close for several years. His daughter still comes over to see us (and my son) every few months just to say hello. The bottom line is your realtor needs integrity!

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    We are watching it now for the first time lol
    Lol... I've actually grown to like it. It's kind of interesting.

Hows this avy? They're not ripped but it'll hafta do cuz I just hit 250 and i'm aiming for 260 LOL!

Am I still invited?

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    You might want to check out short sales, if your not in a hurry you could get a sweet deal, remember
    the realtor works for you don't let them show you a bunch of crap your not interested in, they pull that crap all the time

Damn Haz what are you wanting to be The Incredible Hulk? Thats a whole lotta thrusting power for someone to be under you to take all at once. But I know at least two here on this board who are willing to pony up to the task.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Is there anything special i should know when picking out a realtor? How does it all work ? We want to start looking at houses. We know the general area we want to live.
    good luck in your endeavor

Blog Entries
    Hows this avy? They're not ripped but it'll hafta do cuz I just hit 250 and i'm aiming for 260 LOL!

Am I still invited?

~Haz~
    Much better. Invite in the mail.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Before you commit to ANYTHING, get a GOOD, QUALIFIED, inspector who knows wtf he is doing. You have no idea how many times I've seen people get
    a great deal on a home just to find 3 months after moving in the foundation is cracking and the house is about to collapse on itself.

If theres anything you do specifically, have a seperate inspector for the foundation (who specializes in foundations) than a general inspector for the rest of the home. I can even recommend
    a qualified inspector if its in NJ, you really don't wanna mess around with foundation issues and they are VERY common in NJ due to us being #1 for acid rain.

Not to mention a faulty foundation is one of the more expensive repairs you can make on a home (aside from getting a new roof).

livingwithdoms is offline Associate Member
    good luck, hopefully you get a good price in this market.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Hold your horses guys.......
    Here in Canada if you are selling then you give money to Realtor if you are buyer they dont charge you anything. I always thought that its same in all North America.....Am I wrong?
    Plus DSM you have to realize that if a realtor is selling anyone's house they add his/her fees to the selling price. Y not look for a private sell a Lawyer should be able to do a title search and legal documents for you.....The area you are looking in are there new development of houses going on or the neighbourhood is fully developed? and only house you can buy is old. Plus how old is the overall neighbourhood where you guys want to move (if there is no new construction going on).
    Personally I hate realtors I can do all the things by myself and also mawyer can take care of all the stuff for me........PM me if you have any questions.
    After you liked the house do exactly what Bo said........BUT make sure you have it in offer that if YOU are satisfied with the inspection then the deal will proceed.....

SergeantCarbs is offline Associate Member
    Use the actual listing agent of the house your looking at. If they dont have to cut/share there commision with another realator there more willing to take up some of the costs.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    I bought my first house last year in a growing community, and it has already gained about 35k in value... I bought for 194k. They are building schools and shopping centres so the value keeps going up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarian View Post
    Hold your horses guys.......
    Here in Canada if you are selling then you give money to Realtor if you are buyer they dont charge you anything. I always thought that its same in all North America.....Am I wrong?
    Plus DSM you have to realize that if a realtor is selling anyone's house they add his/her fees to the selling price. Y not look for a private sell a Lawyer should be able to do a title search and legal documents for you.....The area you are looking in are there new development of houses going on or the neighbourhood is fully developed? and only house you can buy is old. Plus how old is the overall neighbourhood where you guys want to move (if there is no new construction going on).
    Personally I hate realtors I can do all the things by myself and also mawyer can take care of all the stuff for me........PM me if you have any questions.
    After you liked the house do exactly what Bo said........BUT make sure you have it in offer that if YOU are satisfied with the inspection then the deal will proceed.....
    The Realtor's rape you out here on fees but being a first time buyer i don't have a clue what i am doing. BF would love to have new construction so we are looking for that. I would def do what BO said, great idea.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Don't fall for the "you will insult the owner with that offer." That is simply the realtor playing with your emotions. Some people do think a low offer can stop negotiations but I have never seen that happen.

Blog Entries
    That contractor from HGTV is hot

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!
    So you're gonna get one with a guest room, right?

Blog Entries
    Yup you can stay but only if you allow me to give you anal lessons (read your anal thread).

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!
    I'm gonna need some more of that special cool aid you gave me last time. That stuff made me sleepy...

Blog Entries
    I told you before, side effects of my kool-aid are drowsiness with chances of a sore butt and sore jaw. All of this is totally normal. I know it still doesn't explain the pantys you woke up in but I have already apologized so let's just move on.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantCarbs View Post
    Use the actual listing agent of the house your looking at. If they dont have to cut/share there commision with another realator there more willing to take up some of the costs.
    I agree with this. Dont use a realtor. There are to many houses on the market and people/realtors are hungry. Find the area you want to live first. Then drive around and do some house hunting. Also look in the local real-estate magazines.

Dont let anyone talk you into anything. Always be the boss and dont let them run you around looking at anything you dont want to look at.

I got mine to drop his fee almost in half and he paid for a new 22 cu ft refrigerator with water/ice since the day before closing the little 18 cu ft pain gain one in the house disappeared and I knew HE took it. One call the the realator insurance commissioner and telling him I was not going to sign the papers until he paid me $1000 out of pocket he folded; mainly because his job was on the line. Just stay in charge and dont be afraid to walk away even at the last minute.

Blog Entries
    I would have to do some more research on what i need to know when not using a realtor.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would have to do some more research on what i need to know when not using a realtor.
    There will be a realator involved one way or another but you dont need on to fine your house and you dont want one working for you and one working for the seller. Only use the one who is selling the house so no one is double dipping you unless you are enjoying it.

No reason to pay more than you need to and like said over and over and over NEVER let them try to pressure you or tell you that an offer is to low.

Thread Information