Brewster is offline Member

Dorian Yates style work out

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dori...ek-trainer.htm

I watched these videos today where Dorian yates is training these guys on bb.com.

The style of work out is different from what I do. He does 2 warm up sets and one working set. Sometimes 1 warm up and 1 working and sometimes just one working. I remember watching blood and guts and he did not work out with this style.

Does anyone work out with this style. Im considering trying this but the crap posted on their web site most of the time is making me second guess it. Any input>

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!
    He did use this method during blood and guts, he just didn't take the time to explain that is what he was doing.
    I do workouts very similar to his. I know my own body well enough, and what it responds to well enough, that I will do my choice of exercises. I always do 2 or three moderate sets though, ended with an all out set to failure on everything.
    I have been doing this since march, and since march, I have gained 40lbs and dropped bodyfat %, I am also the biggest and strongest I have ever been.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I do a very similar program tailored to my own needs, i will warm up and do either one or two working set but the working sets consist of dropsets to failure plus forced to negs. I've found this style of training more beneficial for building big bulky muscles bellies, the sheer mass you can obtain implementing this kind of training is outstanding but I've done many ways of running HIT training and I like all of them, I just prefer my work-outs to be very intense for short periods and this suits my needs. All you can do is give it a go for 12 weeks and see how you respond, apply what works for you not anyone else, but everything is worth trying. Dorian as always trained like this.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I personaly love HIT style workouts

I also like DC's theorys

I have combined the two into a hybrid that suits me

I like the sound of it. Its similar to my style of work out. But I feel that doing it this way will help me to push myself further and harder. I now feel like I have been wasting time in the gym.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I use many things similar to what he does in the above posted videos. For bigger guys I incorporate drop sets and negatives (just like in the videos).

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    I like the sound of it. Its similar to my style of work out. But I feel that doing it this way will help me to push myself further and harder. I now feel like I have been wasting time in the gym.
    In your first post you said this style of work out is different from what you do, now is similar !!

What ever you style HIT is worth trying just develop it into your own style to suit your needs

Marcus' last name is Ruhl by the way.... just sayin....

Now he is a big man

Well its similar in the exercise's that we do.

Its not the same in the way that i wait longer between sets and do all "working sets"

and If i do the way from those videos I will be in the fym alot less. Maybe I can finally get my lazy ass to do some cardio or ab work

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Marcus' last name is Ruhl by the way.... just sayin....
    I thought it was Aureluis this whole time

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    I do a very similar program tailored to my own needs, i will warm up and do either one or two working set but the working sets consist of dropsets to failure plus forced to negs. I've found this style of training more beneficial for building big bulky muscles bellies, the sheer mass you can obtain implementing this kind of training is outstanding but I've done many ways of running HIT training and I like all of them, I just prefer my work-outs to be very intense for short periods and this suits my needs. All you can do is give it a go for 12 weeks and see how you respond, apply what works for you not anyone else, but everything is worth trying. Dorian as always trained like this.
    the bit i dont get is say, if i finish off at 6-8reps at 42.5kgs on shoulder dbells, how can i warm up with 20kgs, then 25kgs and then jump straight to 42.5kgs? i usually work up in 5-7.5kgs increments. isnt the sudden jump up in weight an injury risk?
    Last edited by dec11; 11-19-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Not if you are properly warmed up. Dorian's warm up sets were usually 10-12 reps, but it wasn't light weight, he would choose a weight he struggled with, but could get for 10-12 clean reps without failure, cheating, or assistance. This way, there is no huge jump in weight to achieve failure at 6-8 reps.

*This is just a test*

I knew the post counter was messing up, reply 13 says I have 978, then reply 14 says 980, its been messing up on me, jumping back and forth all day... piece of crap...

Blog Entries
    Not if you are properly warmed up. Dorian's warm up sets were usually 10-12 reps, but it wasn't light weight, he would choose a weight he struggled with, but could get for 10-12 clean reps without failure, cheating, or assistance. This way, there is no huge jump in weight to achieve failure at 6-8 reps.
    i was always conditioned by my ex powerlifting coach to build up in gradual increments to avoid getting hurt. i guess its just a mindset to me now, i know i def wouldnt chuck 200kg on a barbell for my 1st set of dlifts in a session!!

I was brought into the gym and training by powerlifters too, so I know how it is. I always treat my main movements like squat, bench, and deadlift, like I were still powerlifting. Everything else, though, I do more dorian style.

Blog Entries
    I was brought into the gym and training by powerlifters too, so I know how it is. I always treat my main movements like squat, bench, and deadlift, like I were still powerlifting. Everything else, though, I do more dorian style.
    yeah, i could see the approach with assistant exercises ok, but def not with the big 3. i think i'll give it a try when my shoulder decides to stop pissing me off lol. although i think id feel as if i hadnt done much with just one 'big' set
    Last edited by dec11; 11-19-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    yeah, i could see the approach with assistant exercises ok, but def not with the big 3. i think i'll give it a try when my shoulder decides to stop pissing me off lol. although i think id feel as if i hadnt done much with just one 'big' set
    This is always the problem I and others encounter. I hear this so much. I feel I need a spotter to really push me through because my mind gives up about one or two reps shy of failure and without someone to get mad and push me I sometimes allow it to happen.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    For those that fatigue quick (such as myself), I dont go to 10-12 reps on the warm up sets. I do at first, then I'll drop the amount of reps and up the weight. For incline bench chest (smith), for example:

1 Warm up, 60kg 15 reps
    2 Warm up, 80kg, 12 reps
    3 Warm up, 110kg, 2-3 reps
    4 Warm up, 130kg, 1-2 reps

1st Working Set, 140 5-6 reps, rest pause
    2nd Working Set, 130-140, drop set to 60kg

Just so you feel the weight, but not hitting 8-12 reps on it.

Thread Information