JC.1987 is offline Associate Member

Speeding Ticket in NY state

Ok guys, i'm from Ontario, and recently got a speeding ticket in NY state (T'was doing 79 in a 55 mph)...

Whats the best way to go about this? I haven't sent in my plea yet, and am wondering if i should call one of those law offices who go to court for you? Or should i just pay the ticket?

If anyone has had any luck with the above, or any advice, i would greatly appreciate it !!

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Cops aren't as friendly here are they are in Canada, ehhhh ?

Here in Philadelphia, I would plead not guilty, show up and explain how i was in the wrong and that i was very sorry for my poor judgement but then go ahead and ask that the points be dropped. I have had my points dropped everytime and made to pay the fine which i am totally OK with. Not sure if NY works the same way or not.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    lol plead not guilty and then explain how you were in the wrong? WOW...that doesn't sound like it makes since. I'd plead no contest and ask for a defered adjudification personally. But seeing how you are going to leave the country...that probably doesn't work well with probation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    lol plead not guilty and then explain how you were in the wrong? WOW...that doesn't sound like it makes since. I'd plead no contest and ask for a defered adjudification personally. But seeing how you are going to leave the country...that probably doesn't work well with probation.
    You two choices are guilty or not guilty. You have to plead not guilty in order to get a court date. If you plead guilty , you accept the ticket and all the charges that follow.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I did what DSM said last summer. My points were dropped and the fine was cut in half. Didn't even have to appear in court. I talked to the prosecutor the day before and we wroked it out.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    oh I see...in texas you can say guilty / no contest IF you can have deferred :P Oh and be careful when you "do what dsm says". Last time I listened to him I woke up with a soar a$$hole

bruary17 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Cops aren't as friendly here are they are in Canada, ehhhh ?

Here in Philadelphia, I would plead not guilty, show up and explain how i was in the wrong and that i was very sorry for my poor judgement but then go ahead and ask that the points be dropped. I have had my points dropped everytime and made to pay the fine which i am totally OK with. Not sure if NY works the same way or not.
    Exactly. You have to write a letter obv unless you plan on showing up in NYS for the court date. The empire state sucks, buddy! Gun permits are ubsurdly difficult to obtain here and our sales taxes BEELOOOWS! Next time, fly through!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    oh I see...in texas you can say guilty / no contest IF you can have deferred :P Oh and be careful when you "do what dsm says". Last time I listened to him I woke up with a soar a$$hole
    I told you that must have been from dinner.

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    theres guilty no contest and not guilty

all a lawyer will tell u to do is plead no contest its not the same as pleading guilty as it only means your not going to contest the rulings

get a public defender or a lawyer from where ur from and ull never have to see the inside of our court system cause it blows haha

lol having a 8th of weed and driving without a license will both get you a year in jail

JC.1987 is offline Associate Member
    has anyone had luck with one of those law offices that handle speeding tickets?

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    I've ridden with a few down into the states...someone always gets a ticket....and I don't think anyone has paid. They've gotten letters in the mail stating..."their Oregon license has been suspended"....lol

But nothing has happened to any....in their cases!

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by JC.1987 View Post
    I've used em. They've gotten the tickets dropped or reduced to non traffic every time. Just give one a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post
    I've ridden with a few down into the states...someone always gets a ticket....and I don't think anyone has paid. They've gotten letters in the mail stating..."their Oregon license has been suspended"....lol

But nothing has happened to any....in their cases!
    until the next time they go to that state and get pulled over. They'll be taken to jail on a bench warrant for failure to appear. They keep those things open for years.

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    until the next time they go to that state and get pulled over. They'll be taken to jail on a bench warrant for failure to appear. They keep those things open for years.
    so...after so many years...whatta think would happen...if they ever did get pulled over in that same state? I'm curious

so...after so many years...whatta think would happen...if they ever did get pulled over in that same state? I'm curious
    Me and a buddy were out of state and he got pulled over for running a red light. They gave him the ticket and we went on our way. He decided not to pay for it. 4 years later he's calling me at 2:30am to bail him put of jail because he just got pulled over out in that area and they arrested him for failure to appear.

The cop felt bad but said it came up in the computer as still open so he had to take him in.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by JC.1987 View Post
    i've seen good results come from those yes

Yes..thinking of it. On my way back from Vegas...with friends. One got moved to that "room"..cause his passport came up showing he had an outstanding warrant for not paying a fine (drinking in public)...but that was 5 years previous. And...yet..nothing happened on our way to Vegas..just coming back. Guess it comes up at some point. Not fun for the rest of us...since we got searched as well just for traveling with him. I swear...the custom agent was just checkin out my undies, commenting on them. Said nothing...230 am...wanting to go home..not get "thoroughly" searched.

And..yes..jpkman...many motorcyclists use those here; costly but if your license depends on reducing demerits; its worth it. Speeding 60 + over speed limit here got me 6...and was to be court appearance; but...worked the girly thing and got a $228 ticket instead. (thank goodness for sweet talking...long hair and boobs) I've actually gone down before court date...asked to see the court judge; and usually ask to bring down the amount, but most of all the demerits. And, they always do. Not sure if they have same procedures in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    Me and a buddy were out of state and he got pulled over for running a red light. They gave him the ticket and we went on our way. He decided not to pay for it. 4 years later he's calling me at 2:30am to bail him put of jail because he just got pulled over out in that area and they arrested him for failure to appear.

The cop felt bad but said it came up in the computer as still open so he had to take him in.

If I pulled someone over just for speeding or such..and from out of state..country. I wouldn't bother. It's like..."your not gonna pay this ticket...are ya"...ur...no officer. (honestly). Just a waste of time if I was the officer....just warn...and let go.

I've gotten pulled over a lot on my bike..mainly for modifications; and they say I'm "flagged" in the system. So..this is my warning..but if I get pulled over again for something; they'll run my license and see I was pulled over and warned. But...apparently only for a few months.

If I pulled someone over just for speeding or such..and from out of state..country. I wouldn't bother. It's like..."your not gonna pay this ticket...are ya"...ur...no officer. (honestly). Just a waste of time if I was the officer....just warn...and let go.

I've gotten pulled over a lot on my bike..mainly for modifications; and they say I'm "flagged" in the system. So..this is my warning..but if I get pulled over again for something; they'll run my license and see I was pulled over and warned. But...apparently only for a few months.
    Yeah I agree if it's just a little traffic violation then they should issue a warning. Catch a cop on a power trip or having a bad day and the chances of that are slim tho.

I've had a few warnings and I don't think they stay in the system long. Most cops probably don't even put them in.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    any state i've ever lived if you fail to pay a ticket issued outside your state your license will be suspended

Thread Information