Thread: Car salesmen.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Car salesmen.

What should i know about buying a new car ? The BF is looking to get a new car which he currently has a lease. We are look at a few different SUV's. 2011 jeep grand Cherokee ; 2011 Ford Edge ; 2011 GMC terrain. He isn't sure if he wants to lease again and i am more trying to push him into buying only because i feel its better to own the car in the end. Whats the best value ? Also i understand a little about invoice / MSRP values etc. Monthly payments seem to be quoted so high from the stealership. Any insite or tips ?

alluprbdy is offline Associate Member
    Sucks he didnt wanna buy in December when u get all the end of year rebates. I hate buying brand new bc they drop 30% in value instantly. I prefer to buy a used car with low miles. You can get some great deals on used cars with under 10k on em and save tens of thousands.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    shop online for free. get competitive quotes from dealers in your area. after negotiating online, you just show up at the dealer to sign papers and go home...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alluprbdy View Post
    Sucks he didnt wanna buy in December when u get all the end of year rebates. I hate buying brand new bc they drop 30% in value instantly. I prefer to buy a used car with low miles. You can get some great deals on used cars with under 10k on em and save tens of thousands.
    His current lease isn't up yet. I am trying to at least talk him into a 2010 left over.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I work for Mercedes and the deals were definitely better last month. You may want to wait until the end of March because there is likely to be better incentives at the end of the 1/4. Here in Canada we sold out of 2010's months ago.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Hold off for a few months. Right now is the time of the year every car salesman makes his money. Everyones getting there tax returns and going out and buying cars. Wait until summer before buying if you can. Dealers are willing to take less of a profit on a new car because they know that they will make money on the warranty and service work. With used cars most salesmen get paid off the profit margin so if your buying used make your salesperson think you're on the edge and never give him a sure answer on whether you're buying. He will keep looking for ways to talk you into it which means better deals for you. Also, shop around. Dealers and salesmen are competitive and cut throat. They will do anything to get a sale over a competitor even if it means making less profit on a sale. As long as the competition didn't get it then that's all that matters.

Obviously get a carfax and ask as many questions as possible. You will be a nightmare customer lol. Sales people like the quiet easy customers that are easily persuaded.

Blog Entries
    Trust me, my sales guys is going to hate me. We are going to wait until march to buy. I think we are sort of set on the 2011 GMC terrain. We have taken it for a test drive and the ride is nice. It looks good and feels good. We would have to order it (takes up to 8 weeks)which would make our buy time around march to have it in time when his current lease ends.

TheTitan101 is offline New Member
    send a few emails out to different GMC dealerships in your area. find out what they can do for you $ wise.

Now that you are educated on what is a good pricing, pick a sales guy that you are most confortable with (or the one you origionally drove with) and place the order.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    I do buy and sell cars, December is the best time to buy a new or even used cars....
    Try to talk to your sales guy if he could give you all the options that he could offer....

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    My advice would be don't buy new, buy a year or two year old vehicle which has lost most of its depreciation value. there is so much mark up on new vehicles and you lose about 10 grand driving them off the showroom floor. you can get an excellent vehicle that is 1 or 2 years old with low miles that has already lost most of its depreciation if you just search around and not be rushed into anything. But I understand the want and feeling of being the first owner, however these days it should be tempered with realistic cost savings in this environment. But if you have the bucks to splurge without peeny pinching then go for new.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    My advice would be don't buy new, buy a year or two year old vehicle which has lost most of its depreciation value. there is so much mark up on new vehicles and you lose about 10 grand driving them off the showroom floor. you can get an excellent vehicle that is 1 or 2 years old with low miles that has already lost most of its depreciation if you just search around and not be rushed into anything. But I understand the want and feeling of being the first owner, however these days it should be tempered with realistic cost savings in this environment. But if you have the bucks to splurge without peeny pinching then go for new.
    Agreed!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    If it was up to me i would but its the BF's car. I talked to him about it but i think he is stuck on a new car.

Thread Information