Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."

Here is your new Conan.

His name is Jason Momoa.

And here is the teaser poster. Makes you think they were going to use someone bigger.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    He's some sort of relation to the Rock.

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Should have been me weak shit. lol jk.

I don't think its that bad a choice. Considering in the original telling of Conan he was suppose to be from Ancient Samaria, which was supposedly from the North African/Middle Eastern part of the world. But then again, some would argue that he was of ancient Norse heritage which is why Arnold made the perfect person to play him. This guy is Samoan, so I guess it fits closer to that Ancient north African look...I guess.

Either way, I don't think it could ever be remade. Arnold just brought the comic to life and can't be replaced. Does anyone remember when Ralf Mueller played the character for a short period of time? Terrible!!!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    If he's the new Conan, I anticipate more CGI than 300

bushido3374 is offline Member
    Movie poster says 2009?

I hope this guy can act well. I was hoping for someone bigger too.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Were you a fan of the original Conan movies, DSM?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Not really.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido3374 View Post
    I was hoping for someone bigger too.
    Agreed! I know it'll be damn near impossible to get somebody of Arnold's caliber, but this guy doesn't have a great build, relatively speaking! I mean there are plenty of people on this site who make him look like sh!t...

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Yeah but how many can act?

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    ^^^^ Correct. Arnold wasn't much of an actor, but he had charisma and presence. Movie audiences have higher expectations now, so this guy better be able to act. Otherwise it will be another comic book bomb.

gbrice- I can't imagine how much acting finesse is required to play a barbarian. I hope the script is well written, at least. Maybe they'll play up Conan's intellectual and philosophical attributes. If they used such a skinny actor and his character just grunts and kills people, I'm gonna be disappointed.

ReX- Arnold was far from a legit actor, and almost everyone says he was perfect for the role. I think they added depth to his story with good narration. I hope they don't ruin the Conan legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    ^^^^ Correct. Arnold wasn't much of an actor, but he had charisma and presence. Movie audiences have higher expectations now, so this guy better be able to act. Otherwise it will be another comic book bomb.
    Good point, Johnny. What worked in the 80's won't necessarily be successful in modern cinema. Unfortunately, Hollywood seems to be okay with bombs if they can still make a profit from the DVDs. I hope they don't do that with Conan. I grew up with that icon.

Yah, Im assuming Conan of the now will be more like Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia.. it will only fly if they put some lean dude in there to get the girls interested. Seeing someone like Arnold in the original was cool, but now you need more of a pretty boy. At least it wont be Vin Diesel... they should make Conan black and use Dr Dre, he's gettin a little bigger than your average bear

Dre is only 6'1 and 220lbs these days. Reports of Momoa is that he's 6'4-6'5 240lbs. So hi isn't small, that's for sure. I'm not sure if there is any other actor much bigger who can act that fit the Conan mold. Vin Diesal is not even 6' and barely over 200lbs. Dwayne Johnson would be the biggest at 6'4 260lbs, so I don't know why they wouldn't choose him. The only other actors with tremendous size that can actually act are all black. Micheal Clark Duncan (6'5, 300lbs), Terry Crews 6'3, 245lbs, and Lester Speight (aka Terry Tate, office linebacker, 6'3 285lbs). So I don't think there were very many options out there to play Conan.

I would assume Dwayne Johnson didn't take the role because of the massive expectations already heaped on him as being the next Arnold and the subsequent failure of some of his recent acting endeavors. Just my .02

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Dwayne Johnson spent to much time away from action making Disney movies. At least Arnold stuck with action for a few years before he started doing cute movies like kindergarden cop, and twins. I don't think the Rock spent quite enough time establishing himself as an action hero.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR

Throw some freak in there like Batista.

Yeah im sure there are some wwe blokes that could fit the profile cena maybe

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    I don't think its that bad a choice. Considering in the original telling of Conan he was suppose to be from Ancient Samaria, which was supposedly from the North African/Middle Eastern part of the world. But then again, some would argue that he was of ancient Norse heritage which is why Arnold made the perfect person to play him. This guy is Samoan, so I guess it fits closer to that Ancient north African look...I guess.

Either way, I don't think it could ever be remade. Arnold just brought the comic to life and can't be replaced. Does anyone remember when Ralf Mueller played the character for a short period of time? Terrible!!!
    I thought conan was from viking heritage, Cimmeria was supposed to be modern Ukraine, decendants from danes and scotts.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    conan?

Quote Originally Posted by auslifta View Post
    I thought conan was from viking heritage, Cimmeria was supposed to be modern Ukraine, decendants from danes and scotts.
    Yeah, I thought the same. But the in the original comic/book, the it was spelled Samaria which is the northern part of ancient Isreal. Maybe it was merely a spelling issue and you are corrrect because what you are saying makes much more sense.

Batista can't act, I don't think. His WWE 'acting', IMO, is horrible. I don't think people would buy a jacked up Eminem (Cena) as Conan! LOL!!! By this I mean, I don't think Cena, with long hair could pull off a Viking/warrior type. Not very plausible, IMO.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    I love how people talk about acting like its actually hard to do. Really gave me a case of the lols.

ok no I'm just hatn. I do sometimes imagine what a day in the life of an actor is like. They go to work and get told:
    "ok look this way, and make a sad pouty face. then we're going to rub some salt in your eyes and we really need to see those tears roll, remember the more salt the better chance youll win an oscar".

Then after a couple weeks of filming. "Ok now go home, spend your money irresponsibly, get caught every so often doing something controversial, then in 4 years go back to work".

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    I don't like it. You can't replace the austrian oak...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jonh.jpg 
Views:	8716 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	114201
    Batista can't act, I don't think. His WWE 'acting', IMO, is horrible. I don't think people would buy a jacked up Eminem (Cena) as Conan! LOL!!! By this I mean, I don't think Cena, with long hair could pull off a Viking/warrior type. Not very plausible, IMO.
    I'm bored, and just found I had a paint function on my computer. I think he'd do ok, Dwayne Johnson also, or that guy that played Arnie in his bio.

n00bs is offline Member

But we all know who it should be,,,

Calcium is offline Banned
    Trailer looks rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Calcium View Post
    Trailer looks rubbish.
    Have a link for the trailer?

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    I'm lost with the actor...is there something else he was in that would be more familiar to me?

Well reply with quote does not seem to be working for me so I will answer both Marcus' and Kawigirl's posts.
    The trailer is fake. It is footage from Stargate: Atlantis and is fan made.

As above he played Jason Ioane (1999–2001) in Baywatch Hawaii and as Ronon Dex (2005–2009) Stargate Atlantis.
    The new is being directed by Marcus Nispel whose past credits include Friday the 13th (2009), Pathfinder (2007) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003).
    I never saw Pathfinder but TCM sucked balls and Fri 13th was actually decent.
    The script writers are the guys who Sahara (2005) with Matthew McConaughey. So either this movie is going to be great or comlpletly suck, there will be no middle of the road.

-Ender- is offline Not Retired
    Yeah, I thought the same. But the in the original comic/book, the it was spelled Samaria which is the northern part of ancient Isreal. Maybe it was merely a spelling issue and you are corrrect because what you are saying makes much more sense.
    It was spelled Cimmeria.
    The character was to be based from a norse-like country.
    Robert Howard created a fictional land and fictional countries for the stories.

and as far as the actor they picked..... you have to be shitting me.
    over half this forum is bigger than that guy.

In the original stories Conan was supposed to be a giant man.
    Arnold suited the role well. However even he was a bit short.
    I can't believe that hollywood can't find an articulate bodybuilder that is over 270 and closer to seven foot.

^^^I stand corrected. Thanks for the input.

As far as half the people on this forum bigger than this guy. I have do disagree. Very few of the guys on this forum are over 240 and 6'5. Can you think of any actors in hollywood, with skill, and that much size. If so please let us know. Australian Nathan Jones is 6'9 and 315 (former WSM competitor and played Boragrius in Troy), Magnus Samulesson (WSM winner and the won who broke Nathan Jones Arm in arm wrestling) is 6'6 325, he's Scandanavian so he'd fit the mold, but he hasn't acted in anything but commercials.

-Ender- is offline Not Retired

As far as half the people on this forum bigger than this guy. I have do disagree. Very few of the guys on this forum are over 240 and 6'5.
    I missed the 6'5" stat! I just don't think the guy looks very big. I don't see him as a "conan".. I know people on this site with better muscle mass...but not his height.

Can you think of any actors in hollywood, with skill, and that much size. If so please let us know. Australian Nathan Jones is 6'9 and 315 (former WSM competitor and played Boragrius in Troy), Magnus Samulesson (WSM winner and the won who broke Nathan Jones Arm in arm wrestling) is 6'6 325, he's Scandanavian so he'd fit the mold, but he hasn't acted in anything but commercials.
    Nathen Jones! thank you! I was trying to remember his name.. I don't know if he'd suit the role or not, but that's the stats I was thinking would fit the part.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    They could have gotten Hercules to play him

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    I'm actually surprised Gerard butler didnt get the role.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information