jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries

BgMc31 - CBA talks...

Hey Buddy...so give us an inside take or at least your knowledgable opinion on these CBA talks taking place re: the NFL right now.....

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Ok, here's the situation. The CBA that just expired called for the revenue generated by the NFL to be split 60% for the players, 40% for the owners. Plus an additional billion dollars going to the owners for expenses. Now the owners want to reverse the split to 60/40 in their advantage, plus and additional 2 billion for expenses, an 18 game schedule, a rookie wage scale, and for players to pay more into their benefits.

The players agreed to a 51% them 49% split and wanted additional funding for previous players benefits package, the owners dropped the additional 1 billion they were seeking. Both sides have agreed on a rookie wage scale. The owners refuse to concede on the split, the 18 game schedule, and increased funding for previous players benefits. The owners are crying poor but are refusing to open their books to let the players union see if the additional money the owners are asking for is justified.

The owners had this lockout planned since the extension of the last CBA that is why they negotiated an additional 4 billion in their television contract in case of a lock out in 2011.

The players union had to decertify after the CBA ended in order to be able to sue in federal court. So that is whats going on now. I'm not really optimistic about the upcoming season.

Thats it in a nutshell. Of course there are some finer points but those are the major issues that have caused this.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    what are the odds of having a 11-12 season?

I want to be optimistic, but I can't. I'd say the probability is probably around 40%. The next couple months will determine the fate of 11-12. Remember the draft is next month and rookies can't be signed. Teams can't sign free agents, free agents can't test the market. Players can't even go to team facilities to train or watch film.

It's a total cluster fvck!

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Thanks BgMc ....doesnt sound promising .
    I appreciate the breakdown....
    IMO on those points the last thing i want to see is an 18 game season. Anyone see the injuries decimating teams in a 16 game season already? Plus how can the owners ask for 2 more games a year but not want to better previous player benefits? Obviously the effects of playing such a physical game and sacrificing your physical well being down the road is deserving of a respectable post playing benfit package.
    I know a lot of people say well look how much players make...BS
    Look how much the owners make...

Eh just a couple of my opinions...i hope it works out though..doesnt sound good....

I'm in total agreement with you brotha.

As a former player, it chaps my hide when people call the players greedy when it's the players that were actually willing to take concessions on this and were not asking for more money, its the owners.

And considering the avg. player only plays for 3.5 yrs, he has to make that money work for him for a lifetime as opposed to an owner who owns a team for a lifetime.

He's the easiest way to think about it (in reference to an 18 game season). If your boss asked you to work an additional 2 days a week for no additional money and the only concession is you get an additional two weeks of vacation a year, would you do it?

While I'm no longer a player, this does affect me, because as long as this is going on, I don't get my pension checks. So every month this goes by, I lose $4500/mo. Yeah, right now sucks! LOL!

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Well I hope it gets settled soon.I know I would never again pay the price for a ticket.They got to greedy.But I do agree the players arent the ones.But in the end they are pricing themselfs out of biz.Only the very well off can afford these ticket prices now.I wish you luck Bro.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    i still wanna fight u BG...aka shorty

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    If i act like i know what you guys are talking about would that make me any more likely that i might be able to sleep with you Bgmc ?

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    It will be interesting to see what happens at the draft this year. I know the players are asking the rookies to not participate, but damn...how can already millionaires ask guys who want to be millionaires not to go? If you want to support the vets you sit out, but may loose tens of millions as a top pick. If you do go you could be labeled as a scab. Either way as a rookie this year you could get screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    It will be interesting to see what happens at the draft this year. I know the players are asking the rookies to not participate, but damn...how can already millionaires ask guys who want to be millionaires not to go? If you want to support the vets you sit out, but may loose tens of millions as a top pick. If you do go you could be labeled as a scab. Either way as a rookie this year you could get screwed.
    While I understand what you are saying Tigershark. There absolutely needs to be a rookie wage scale. Ray Lewis said it best when Flacco came to Baltimore. He said something to the effect that he's a 11 time pro bowler (at the time) and one of the NFL's top 75 players of all time and Flacco comes in and makes twice as much as him...not fair. That is why the NFLPA agreed with owners that there should be a rookie cap, but I'm on the fence about this draft day thing. Its the biggest moment in most of these kids lives. BUT, the draft day experience benefits the owners and NFL more than the rookies. The networks pay the NFL to cover the draft and the players see none of that money. The teams can't sign the rookies anyway after they are drafted. So I can see why the NFLPA would want the rookies not to show up.

DSM, pretty much nuthin you can do will make me want to sleep with you. I'm sure you're good, but d*cks aren't my thing. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by calgarian View Post
    i still wanna fight u BG...aka shorty
    Get in line buddy!! LOL!!!

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    The draft situation really sucks for all of the the players coming out of college this year. I bet quite a few of the juniors that decided to deem themselves eligible are wishing they would have played there senior year.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    not looking good at all

more CFL yay

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    yeah it is going to suck without the nfl! what the hell will i do on sundays? and no fantasy football either!

more CFL yay
    I would love it if the US networks started showing the CFL games.

I would love it if the US networks started showing the CFL games.
    they show it on versus i think final anyway

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Cancel the season and put the Battlebang program in its place... seriously guys, this will solve all problems.

they show it on versus i think final anyway
    Yeah but if there is no NFL season I would love to see a full CFL season. Is Doug Flutie a God in your part of Canada?

Yeah but if there is no NFL season I would love to see a full CFL season. Is Doug Flutie a God in your part of Canada?
    one of the few who made to NFL. go to CFL.ca and it will let you know...u do realize that the rules are different.

Thank you and yes I know the rules are different. 35 yards for a 1st down rite?

Oh and I favorited that link Cal.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Thank you and yes I know the rules are different. 35 yards for a 1st down rite?
    might as well make it a challenge, not like giving you 4 chances to make 10 yards... shit, even Cal could do that... thats like 3/4 of a lap around his last girl

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    might as well make it a challenge, not like giving you 4 chances to make 10 yards... shit, even Cal could do that... thats like 3/4 of a lap around his last girl
    Burn! Now that is an old school zinger!

Thread Information