Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Force

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"

Air Force

Hey I got a buddy who is going to Kuwait. He is in the airforce and works on engines. He has been trying to volunteer to go to Afghanistan or Iraq but nobody would let him. He was stationed in Alaska but now is going to Kuwait. Does anybody know what he will be doing there? He said he doesn't know cuz they just told him he's going and wasn't given any details.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    What kind of Engines? My guess is he will be based/working on or at Ali Al Salem Air Force Base approx: 30 miles east of the western Kuwait/Saudi Border. If he is a vehicle Mechanis he will be working/based at Camp Arifjan, Helo's he will be at camp udari/buerhing.

What company will he be working for?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Building snowmen.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Hey I got a buddy who is going to Kuwait. He is in the airforce and works on engines. He has been trying to volunteer to go to Afghanistan or Iraq but nobody would let him. He was stationed in Alaska but now is going to Kuwait. Does anybody know what he will be doing there? He said he doesn't know cuz they just told him he's going and wasn't given any details.
    This seems unusual. I wonder if there is something on his record or perhaps with his qualifications he can better serve elsewhere where he is needed. Otherwise I see no reason for him not to be cleared for Afghanistan especially if he is requesting to go there. eh who knows. The militarys plans are always in flux. Thats what happens when we are fighting all over the place. And I expect we'll be in Libya if we arent secretly already, special forces. And now Syria is erupting, then Saudia Arabia, Iran, North Korea, Sudan,.........I'm just happy that China is America's very bestest friend in the whole wide world helping out so much by taking all the manufactering, and all the rest of the jobs out of America so we can all concentrate on these wars. We don't need no stinking jobs. But seriously I hope your buddy ends up in a safe environment over there. Contrary to the sound of my post, I 100% support our troops. Like the post above, I agree he will probably end up here.....vvvvv

Working on these....

KyleJumpjets is offline Associate Member
    I thought the f117 was retired

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Looks like your friend is really needed badly in Kuwait. Lots of planes waiting to be repaired. Backup on runway 101,102,103,104....lol

I'll ask and find out what he works on. thanks for all the replies guys.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    He'll be doing what he does in the United States, except he'll be in Kuwait.

As far as volunteering for Afghanistan, it doesn't really work like that. It depends on a lot of different things.

He works on f22 in alaska right now for the air force and is leaving in less than a month. He doesn't know where he is going yet. Some guy had issues and couldn't go so they replaced him with my buddy. With this new info will he still be doing the same thing? Can I visit Kuwait lol?

He works on f22 in alaska right now for the air force and is leaving in less than a month. He doesn't know where he is going yet. Some guy had issues and couldn't go so they replaced him with my buddy. With this new info will he still be doing the same thing? Can I visit Kuwait lol?
    Yes, he'll still be doing the same thing. Unless he's qualified to do something else, they wouldn't send him there for anything other than that.

Yeah you can visit Kuwait!!! I have lived here for 5 years. Visa on arrival for $10 at the Airport.

If he is in the Airforce, then he will be 100% for sure at Ali Al Salem Air Base.

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    Yeah you can visit Kuwait!!! I have lived here for 5 years. Visa on arrival for $10 at the Airport.
    If he is in the Airforce, then he will be 100% for sure at Ali Al Salem Air Base.
    This is a safe place for me to visit? Will I be able to wander a little? What can I see? Can you tell me more please? I wanna see things like sandstorms and experience the culture (I think).

Safe??? lmao its safer than where you are in Cali, probably safer than a po dunk midwest Iowa town. Police never carry weapons here!!! Well you can come & go where you want to really! Just like being in the states. Malls, restaurants, cafes', strip clubs (joking), Great social scene in Kuwait. There are war & culture museums here water park, paintball park, all your water activities, Really depends on what area you are staying in. I recommend Salmiya for western people.

ummm sandstorms arent anything you wanna really see unless you like to be confined to your home. plus its not really sand its like baby powder and tastes bitter.

Bro if you come here I will meet you and show you a few things, oh and the best gyms I have ever seen in the world.
    Last edited by wmaousley; 04-25-2011 at 04:12 AM.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    If he wanted a real deployment he should have joined combat arms in Army or Marines. Kuwait will be a vacation. Given his job, even if he went to Iraq or Afghan, he'd still just be sitting on a FOB vacationing.

Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    If he wanted a real deployment he should have joined combat arms in Army or Marines. Kuwait will be a vacation. Given his job, even if he went to Iraq or Afghan, he'd still just be sitting on a FOB vacationing.
    FOBBIT lmao, we hated them in while I was deployed to Iraq, they are the ones who always go home and tell "Predator" type war stories.

FOBBIT lmao, we hated them in while I was deployed to Iraq, they are the ones who always go home and tell "Predator" type war stories.
    Haha so true!

Safe??? lmao its safer than where you are in Cali, probably safer than a po dunk midwest Iowa town. Police never carry weapons here!!! Well you can come & go where you want to really! Just like being in the states. Malls, restaurants, cafes', strip clubs (joking), Great social scene in Kuwait. There are war & culture museums here water park, paintball park, all your water activities, Really depends on what area you are staying in. I recommend Salmiya for western people.

ummm sandstorms arent anything you wanna really see unless you like to be confined to your home. plus its not really sand its like baby powder and tastes bitter.

Bro if you come here I will meet you and show you a few things, oh and the best gyms I have ever seen in the world.
    I would be going to wherever that air base (Ali AL Salem) is. What are the prices like there compared to the US? Am I gonna get screwed on the exchange rates? How much do you think it would cost to have a blast for a week? I might take you up on that offer.

He signed the contract for going into some unit of some sort but then failed a test where you have to stay up all night and then do tasks or something, then got sent to alaska... He hates it. He wants to go to war but they aren't letting him change professions.

what is this fobbit?

A fobbit is someone who deploys, but never leaves the FOB. The FOB is usually a pretty big base with many amenities such as stores, great housing units, running water and showers, amazing chow halls, amazing gyms, other places to eat, sometimes they'll have sports leagues, swimming pools, places to play video games and this is where they live all deployment and they get the same bonus hazard pay as the combat guys who are out in the sh!t. The best part is I'll have lived in my vehicle living off of water and MREs for a month in the same uniform and YES!! we get to go back to the FOB for maybe 12 hours, and first thing we want to do is eat real food, we go to the chow hall, and get yelled out by these Fing losers that do nothing because our uniforms are "too dirty" to enter the chow hall. It's a lot of things like that, that builds such animosity from combat guys to the fobbits. They get the same thanks for doing nothing but vacationing while the real soldiers are out there living in sh!t and getting shot at and blown up every day.
    Last edited by LatissimusaurousRex; 04-25-2011 at 03:45 PM.

A fobbit is someone who deploys, but never leaves the FOB. The FOB is usually a pretty big base with many amenities such as stores, great housing units, running water and showers, amazing chow halls, amazing gyms, other places to eat, sometimes they'll have sports leagues, swimming pools, places to play video games and this is where they live all deployment and they get the same bonus hazard pay as the combat guys who are out in the sh!t. The best part is I'll have lived in my vehicle living off of water and MREs for a month in the same uniform and YES!! we get to go back to the FOB for maybe 12 hours, and first thing we want to do is eat real food, we go to the chow hall, and get yelled out by these Fing losers that do nothing because our uniforms are "too dirty" to enter the chow hall. It's a lot of things like that, that builds such animosity from combat guys to the fobbits. They get the same thanks for doing nothing but vacationing while the real soldiers are out there living in sh!t and getting shot at and blown up every day.
    Thank you x100,000 so sad but too true. I remember when I was in Iraq we were also treated like shit because we were smelly and dirty, havent shaved or showered in a few days, and when you walk in the DFAC you smell fn victoria secret lotion, ralph lauren cologne. Really fvcked up IMO.
    Last edited by wmaousley; 04-25-2011 at 11:59 PM.

I would be going to wherever that air base (Ali AL Salem) is. Yeah no you wont, you have a better chance of meeting with Obama in the Oval Office than gaining access to Ali AL Salem. What are the prices like there compared to the US? About the same. Am I gonna get screwed on the exchange rates? Why would you, go to xe.com to see the rates. Alot of time you get better rates. How much do you think it would cost to have a blast for a week? $1300 Airline Ticket Economy Class Round Trip, $600 Hotel, $300 Food, and whatever spending money you want to bring, *prices stated besides airline ticket are on the high side of actual costs. I might take you up on that offer.

He signed the contract for going into some unit of some sort but then failed a test where you have to stay up all night and then do tasks or something, then got sent to alaska... He hates it. He wants to go to war but they aren't letting him change professions.

what is this fobbit?
    See bold and LatissimusarousRex posted about what a fobbit is.

Wow that sucks haha. My buddy is gonna hate his life if he is grouped into that category. He wants to go into the field so bad. Honestly Idk why. I'd rather be a fobbit and chill on base, get paid, and go off base and do cool stuff.

See bold and LatissimusarousRex posted about what a fobbit is.
    I have never been out of the country (canada but that doesn't count), and so I don't wanna go there and find out I'm in a city full of people with oil money and hotels are $500 a night or something(not really exchange rates, more like consumer prices). So if I can't go on base, is the base near a city that I would enjoy visiting? Basically I was flying up there to visit Alaska but now he is in Kuwait so I figured I'll just go there instead and am now trying to figure out if that is a wise idea...

Wow that sucks haha. My buddy is gonna hate his life if he is grouped into that category. He wants to go into the field so bad. What field? Honestly Idk why. I'd rather be a fobbit and chill on base, get paid, and go off base and do cool stuff. He more than likely will not be allowed to leave base!

I have never been out of the country (canada but that doesn't count), and so I don't wanna go there and find out I'm in a city full of people with oil money and hotels are $500 a night or something(not really exchange rates, more like consumer prices). Well you will find alot of oil money here but hotel prices are the same all over the world, just book & pay online before you come. So if I can't go on base, is the base near a city that I would enjoy visiting? Umm there is really only 1 city in Kuwait but many areas. lmao the base is about 1 1/2 hour drive from the City. Its closer to the Salmi, KSA Border. Basically I was flying up there to visit Alaska but now he is in Kuwait so I figured I'll just go there instead and am now trying to figure out if that is a wise idea..If I were you I would save my money and go to Dubai were you can have a hell of a time, or wait until he has R&R and travel with him then.
    See bold compadre

See bold compadre
    Field = to war. Why wouldn't he be able to leave base? He is gonna hate it! He's been trying to transfer to the army unsuccessfully.

If he can't go off base, and I can't go on base, then it would be a waste for me to go visit the guy lol. I have always wanted to go to Dubai. Is Dubai gonna be much more expensive than kuwait? I just wanna see what its like in these foreign countries man. It's something I wanna experience. I want a culture shock.
    Thanks for your help so far man.

Dubai was way overrated, imo. Unless I become a multi-millionaire, I'll never go back. I'd much rather spend my time and money elsewhere.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Field = to war. Why wouldn't he be able to leave base? He is gonna hate it! He's been trying to transfer to the army unsuccessfully.

If he can't go off base, and I can't go on base, then it would be a waste for me to go visit the guy lol. I have always wanted to go to Dubai. Is Dubai gonna be much more expensive than kuwait? I just wanna see what its like in these foreign countries man. It's something I wanna experience. I want a culture shock. Thanks for your help so far man.
    You won't get one in Dubai, try Cambodia, somalia, or pakistan for a culture shock

Field = to war. Why wouldn't he be able to leave base? He is gonna hate it! He's been trying to transfer to the army unsuccessfully. Well the Army wonr accept prior service airforce because they have to be re-trained and sent back through basic training (boot camp) because theirs is only 6 weeks (weak)
    If he can't go off base, and I can't go on base, then it would be a waste for me to go visit the guy lol. Agree!!! I have always wanted to go to Dubai. Is Dubai gonna be much more expensive than kuwait? Hell yes much more, cheaper to go to thailand or anywhere for that matter. I just wanna see what its like in these foreign countries man. It's something I wanna experience. I want a culture shock. go to gabon, darfur, cairo, riyadh for a culture shockThanks for your help so far man. Welcome
    As always look at the pretty bold words above

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    Dubai was way overrated, imo. Unless I become a multi-millionaire, I'll never go back. I'd much rather spend my time and money elsewhere.
    I disagree dubai is a great place to fly to for the weekend to party. I only find the hotels a little steep, and thats only a few times a year.

Can you elaborate on this?

As always look at the pretty bold words above
    Thanks bro. Not looking for that kind of a culture shock I'm sure I can find a pleasant but different experience somewhere. Thailand has been my #1 place to visit for a long long time, I just love my girl too much to go haha.

Dubai is an expensive city as a whole, if you are flatbroke Dubai will swallow you and spit you out in no time. Having said that you can go to dubai and enjoy a weeks stay for the price of a weeks stay in any other city on earth, all depends on your standards.

I recommend Atlantis, Jumeriah Bech resorts while in Dubai. Medium range pricing with a 6 star service.

Dubai is an expensive city as a whole, if you are flatbroke Dubai will swallow you and spit you out in no time. Having said that you can go to dubai and enjoy a weeks stay for the price of a weeks stay in any other city on earth, all depends on your standards.

I recommend Atlantis, Jumeriah Bech resorts while in Dubai. Medium range pricing with a 6 star service.
    Thanks a lot for the info bro. I appreciate it.

I disagree dubai is a great place to fly to for the weekend to party. I only find the hotels a little steep, and thats only a few times a year.
    I don't disagree with that. If you're in Kuwait and you wanna fly for the weekend, that's a bit different than planning your big vacation in Dubai. For my money I'd much rather go anywhere in Europe. You can see and do a whole lot more with less money than going to Dubai for a week. I guess Dubai is like Vegas to me -- two days is awesome.... any longer and you're bored and broke.

I see. Thailand is my number 1 followed by costa rica or Brazil. If my buddy confirms that I won't be able to visit his area then I won't go there.

Vegas without Casinos, but has the United Nations of prostitutes, you can buy a girl from just about any nationality in UAE namely Dubai. Yes even American slvts

so just desert and prostitutes?

so just desert and prostitutes?
    ummm yeah they also have inported grass & trees, lots of clubs, and things to do.

Vegas without Casinos, but has the United Nations of prostitutes, you can buy a girl from just about any nationality in UAE namely Dubai. Yes even American slvts
    Truth.

Sitting in a bar/nightclub or whatever the hell it was with my friends one night, and there were more prostitutes than patrons... no joke. I talked to a couple; here was my shortest encounter--

Me: "Hi. What's your name?"

Russian Prostitute: "You can't afford it."

Me: "Really?"...........

Her: ............

Me: "Welp, see ya later."

hes going to be doing something called tcn. Can somebody clarify this? He says it is voluntary

Truth.

Sitting in a bar/nightclub or whatever the hell it was with my friends one night, and there were more prostitutes than patrons... no joke. I talked to a couple; here was my shortest encounter--

Me: "Hi. What's your name?"

Russian Prostitute: "You can't afford it."

Me: "Really?"...........

Her: ............

Me: "Welp, see ya later."
    I believe it, thsta how it goes in the UAE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information