Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    dec11's Avatar
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    *no sources i wont reply*
    Posts
    14,140
    Blog Entries
    1

    165 tornadoes in 24hrs!!!

    jez that is alot of angry wind. ive had a life long dream to go over to the states on a storm chase tour to see one of those phenomenons in action, but when i see the devastation and misery they can cause, i feel bad about wanting to see one for kicks

  2. #2
    stack_it's Avatar
    stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pin it to win it!
    Posts
    8,296
    They hit us hard here in my city. Wiped out half of our airport and several large subdivisions. Luckily there were no deaths or major injuries.

  3. #3
    MACHINE5150's Avatar
    MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,651
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    jez that is alot of angry wind. ive had a life long dream to go over to the states on a storm chase tour to see one of those phenomenons in action, but when i see the devastation and misery they can cause, i feel bad about wanting to see one for kicks
    chances are you won't ever find one.. they are nearly impossible to predict.. and if you did find one, you run the chance of getting killed by it unless you have one of those special cars they have in the tornado chaser shows on Discovery..

    Anyone else notice the rise in Earthquakes, Hurricanes, floods across the world.. record winters and records droughts. .and the HUGE rise in tornadoes in the States (which is the only place they happen)

    Wild fires in California are setting new records every year... this stuff is just nuts.. not sure if it is global warming or what.. but the drought / flood thing as well as the hurricanes have a lot to do with the temp of the ocean which seems to be rising.. which means it is only going to get worse..

    good thing there are no natural disasters in Ireland... not yet anyways.

  4. #4
    stack_it's Avatar
    stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pin it to win it!
    Posts
    8,296
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    chances are you won't ever find one.. they are nearly impossible to predict.. and if you did find one, you run the chance of getting killed by it unless you have one of those special cars they have in the tornado chaser shows on Discovery..

    Anyone else notice the rise in Earthquakes, Hurricanes, floods across the world.. record winters and records droughts. .and the HUGE rise in tornadoes in the States (which is the only place they happen)

    Wild fires in California are setting new records every year... this stuff is just nuts.. not sure if it is global warming or what.. but the drought / flood thing as well as the hurricanes have a lot to do with the temp of the ocean which seems to be rising.. which means it is only going to get worse..

    good thing there are no natural disasters in Ireland... not yet anyways.
    Ireland in itself is a natural disaster....



    It's just mother earth doing her thing. The weather was relatively calm for a very long time. It's no shock that it's cycling through a rough period again IMO.

  5. #5
    dec11's Avatar
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    *no sources i wont reply*
    Posts
    14,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    chances are you won't ever find one.. they are nearly impossible to predict.. and if you did find one, you run the chance of getting killed by it unless you have one of those special cars they have in the tornado chaser shows on Discovery..

    Anyone else notice the rise in Earthquakes, Hurricanes, floods across the world.. record winters and records droughts. .and the HUGE rise in tornadoes in the States (which is the only place they happen)

    Wild fires in California are setting new records every year... this stuff is just nuts.. not sure if it is global warming or what.. but the drought / flood thing as well as the hurricanes have a lot to do with the temp of the ocean which seems to be rising.. which means it is only going to get worse..

    good thing there are no natural disasters in Ireland... not yet anyways.
    actually, there have been more per square mile in the UK, they just arent as powerful or devastating. one actually ripped through a field beside my home place in n ireland afew years back, of course i was fvckin asleep at the time and missed the whole thing, typical!!!

    http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...ar-731802.html

  6. #6
    Cyclehard is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    203
    That weather is crazy! I feel badly for everybody affected. I know this will piss a lot of people off, but there has been so much erratic, extreme weather world-wide that I think it's global warming.

  7. #7
    Shol'va's Avatar
    Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    A Rock And A Hard Place
    Posts
    8,925
    They are not just in kansas anymore.....


  8. #8
    Times Roman's Avatar
    Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back from Afghanistan
    Posts
    27,383
    I just hate how the media sensationalizes EVERYTHING! Know what trigger words are? When spoken, the evoke strong emotion! Words such as WORST!! Truth is, it AINT the worst tornado season/damage. It's just been awhile. But news headlines that say Bad Tornados don't get nearly as much attention.

    And that Wolf Blitzer? President Karzai could have diarrea, and the news would read
    Breaking News!
    President Karzai's close call with Health Issues has World on Notice!
    And here with an exclusive Interview is...
    Wolf Blitzer!

    WB: Sir, what were your thoughts when you were experiencing your close call with the serious Health Issue?
    PK: I was hoping I wouldn't run out of toilet paper

    WB: And there youi have it folks! Even while President Karzai was experiencing a close call with a serious Health issue, his thoughts were always with running his country and the mounds of paperwork that could be piling up during his bout.

  9. #9
    Igifuno's Avatar
    Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Standing Above Weakness
    Posts
    15,933
    Blog Entries
    2
    I was in North Carolina last week and saw some neighborhoods ripped apart. Also, I have some properties down in Alabama and they got ripped to sheds..

  10. #10
    dec11's Avatar
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    *no sources i wont reply*
    Posts
    14,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno View Post
    I was in North Carolina last week and saw some neighborhoods ripped apart. Also, I have some properties down in Alabama and they got ripped to sheds..
    does insurance cover you or is it termed 'act of god'?

  11. #11
    Igifuno's Avatar
    Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Standing Above Weakness
    Posts
    15,933
    Blog Entries
    2
    Yeah.. the southern states have disaster insurance but many of my north/northeastern states do not.. some have flood only but no hurricane/disaster, etc.

    Its separate insurance that has to be purchased though aside from the standard policy. Comes in handy down south

  12. #12
    Ladyblahblah is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    D.C. Transplant ~RTR
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno View Post
    I was in North Carolina last week and saw some neighborhoods ripped apart. Also, I have some properties down in Alabama and they got ripped to sheds..
    So sorry to hear about your property damage, Igifuno. I live in Alabama ~ have you been as of yet or do you have anyone here that you are communicating with? If you need information regarding anything let me know and I'll see if I can find anything out for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    does insurance cover you or is it termed 'act of god'?
    My homeowners policy covers damage caused by thunderstorms/tornadoes. Depending on what company you are with, if you live on a lake, you would have to take out an additional policy for flood insurance.

  13. #13
    stevey_6t9's Avatar
    stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mt. Olympus
    Posts
    3,991
    there in australia too, just in the outback with zyzz so they rarely get seen.

  14. #14
    dec11's Avatar
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    *no sources i wont reply*
    Posts
    14,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyblahblah View Post
    So sorry to hear about your property damage, Igifuno. I live in Alabama ~ have you been as of yet or do you have anyone here that you are communicating with? If you need information regarding anything let me know and I'll see if I can find anything out for you.



    My homeowners policy covers damage caused by thunderstorms/tornadoes. Depending on what company you are with, if you live on a lake, you would have to take out an additional policy for flood insurance.
    thats not so bad, be terrible if ppl werent covered.

    i still itch to see one of these things in action
    Last edited by dec11; 04-29-2011 at 10:53 PM.

  15. #15
    dec11's Avatar
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    *no sources i wont reply*
    Posts
    14,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stevey_6t9 View Post
    there in australia too, just in the outback with zyzz so they rarely get seen.
    they should give that chap a bit part on Home and Away with emphasis on the away lol

  16. #16
    stack_it's Avatar
    stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pin it to win it!
    Posts
    8,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I just hate how the media sensationalizes EVERYTHING! Know what trigger words are? When spoken, the evoke strong emotion! Words such as WORST!! Truth is, it AINT the worst tornado season/damage. It's just been awhile. But news headlines that say Bad Tornados don't get nearly as much attention.

    And that Wolf Blitzer? President Karzai could have diarrea, and the news would read
    Breaking News!
    President Karzai's close call with Health Issues has World on Notice!
    And here with an exclusive Interview is...
    Wolf Blitzer!

    WB: Sir, what were your thoughts when you were experiencing your close call with the serious Health Issue?
    PK: I was hoping I wouldn't run out of toilet paper

    WB: And there youi have it folks! Even while President Karzai was experiencing a close call with a serious Health issue, his thoughts were always with running his country and the mounds of paperwork that could be piling up during his bout.
    Being in these storms personally and seeing the damage done just in my area by a few tornadoes. One being an f4 I can assure you it's not just media hype.

  17. #17
    dec11's Avatar
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    *no sources i wont reply*
    Posts
    14,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    Being in these storms personally and seeing the damage done just in my area by a few tornadoes. One being an f4 I can assure you it's not just media hype.
    x2, ive watched just about every doc made and am glued to news reports, they look fearsome

  18. #18
    stack_it's Avatar
    stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pin it to win it!
    Posts
    8,296
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    x2, ive watched just about every doc made and am glued to news reports, they look fearsome
    The one that hit the airport was massive. It was too dark to see it on any surveillance cameras tho. I actually saw a funnel cloud reaching down towards the ground that night on my way home from work. I had to drive straight towards it to get home. It never touched down tho and within about 5 minutes it was gone.

  19. #19
    Ladyblahblah is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    D.C. Transplant ~RTR
    Posts
    280
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohIVzIZLuQ

    Dec11, I thought you might enjoy seeing this if you haven't already.

    Here is a video of the one that did the most damage in Alabama. It leveled out the area I grew up in and caused an incredible amount of damage less than 6 miles from where I live now. I believe it was estimated that it stayed on the ground, without lifting once, for 184 miles - incredible. I'm a very lucky gal, to say the least.

  20. #20
    Ladyblahblah is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    D.C. Transplant ~RTR
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    thats not so bad, be terrible if ppl werent covered.

    i still itch to see one of these things in action
    I can definitely understand the fascination - for they are extremely fascinating! However, I've been "caught" in four since I was a child and I would much rather listen from my basement or view it on a screen. Lol. The sound of a tornado is unlike anything I have ever heard. I'm sure you have heard ppl describe them as sounding like a freight train? That's the only way I can describe.

  21. #21
    dec11's Avatar
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    *no sources i wont reply*
    Posts
    14,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyblahblah View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohIVzIZLuQ

    Dec11, I thought you might enjoy seeing this if you haven't already.

    Here is a video of the one that did the most damage in Alabama. It leveled out the area I grew up in and caused an incredible amount of damage less than 6 miles from where I live now. I believe it was estimated that it stayed on the ground, without lifting once, for 184 miles - incredible. I'm a very lucky gal, to say the least.
    fook, it stayed on the ground for ages!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyblahblah View Post
    I can definitely understand the fascination - for they are extremely fascinating! However, I've been "caught" in four since I was a child and I would much rather listen from my basement or view it on a screen. Lol. The sound of a tornado is unlike anything I have ever heard. I'm sure you have heard ppl describe them as sounding like a freight train? That's the only way I can describe.
    yeah when i do make it over to chase, it will be from a distance, viewing from somewhere far enough away to be safe, like canada lol

  22. #22
    MACHINE5150's Avatar
    MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,651
    that video is insane.. my buddy went to University of Alabama.. Roll Tide!!!

  23. #23
    bjpennnn's Avatar
    bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,750
    That video is insane it is eerie to me to be honest. I feel very bad for those people.

  24. #24
    wmaousley's Avatar
    wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kuwait/Florida
    Posts
    3,518
    My Aunts home,boat,car & Harley + there business were destroyed in Cullman, Alabama. Also my cousins home in Pleasant Grove, Alabama was destroyed.

  25. #25
    Ladyblahblah is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    D.C. Transplant ~RTR
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    My Aunts home,boat,car & Harley + there business were destroyed in Cullman, Alabama. Also my cousins home in Pleasant Grove, Alabama was destroyed.
    Sorry to hear of your families losses, wmaousley. I have many friends and family members that also lost everything. It's very frustrating to know that there is not much that I can do to help and finding the right words of consolation is very difficult.

    Yes, there was much damage in Cullman and Pleasant Grove was hit extremely hard. I lost a friend that was in P.G. - she was only 25 and she and her husband had just had a baby 7 weeks before. Truly sad, indeed.

  26. #26
    Ladyblahblah is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    D.C. Transplant ~RTR
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    fook, it stayed on the ground for ages!!!

    yeah when i do make it over to chase, it will be from a distance, viewing from somewhere far enough away to be safe, like canada lol


    Lol!! No kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    that video is insane.. my buddy went to University of Alabama.. Roll Tide!!!
    Lol!! Roll Tide, Machine!! You should come down with your buddy and go to a game. You can tailgate with us...I'm Irish, too! lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by bjpennnn View Post
    That video is insane it is eerie to me to be honest. I feel very bad for those people.
    It is very eerie - I can't believe he got that close to it.

  27. #27
    RaginCajun's Avatar
    RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Deep Down South
    Posts
    23,624
    yo dec11, i have seen some pretty intense weather while being on the water. we had to maneuver our boat around 5 water spouts (tornadoes on the water) that we saw form. it was breathtaking!

  28. #28
    wmaousley's Avatar
    wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kuwait/Florida
    Posts
    3,518

    A few pictures from Cullman, Alabama

    A couple are of my Aunt & Uncles House (or whats left of it: Harley and Boat are under the tree opposite the Red Durango).

  29. #29
    wmaousley's Avatar
    wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kuwait/Florida
    Posts
    3,518
    Ok if you look left of the Church you can see my uncles boat upside down in the grass

  30. #30
    wmaousley's Avatar
    wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kuwait/Florida
    Posts
    3,518

    My Uncles Gun & Pawn store in Cullman

    This is am aerial view of my Uncles Gun & Pawn Shop in Cullman and here is the link

    http://photos.al.com/birmingham-news..._pictu_46.html

  31. #31
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,727
    Damn, sorry to hear about your families loss wmaousley. I hope they get the help they need to recover and start again. I'm glad to hear that non of them were killed.

  32. #32
    Renesis's Avatar
    Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NY, Long Island
    Posts
    3,533
    That was a wicked video O_O

  33. #33
    wmaousley's Avatar
    wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kuwait/Florida
    Posts
    3,518
    a link to a video taken from sme doctors in Cullman, Alabama


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_S0_X8MHqME

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •