bjpennnn is offline American Psycho

What would you let your high school student take?

I am just interested on what you guys would suggest supplement wise for an athlete/weight lifter to take while in high school. You do not have to have kids but if you do if you could please say that you do so I know.

For me i am thinking...creatine or kre-akayln, protein powder, bcaa's, zma, maybe some type of pre workout drink but not one totally loaded with stims.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I would say no stimulants at all, bcaa's are good, multivitamin and the rest should be diet. Once their body looks decent then start adding in creatine etc. Teaching someone to learn how their body reacts to food is key. Can't do that with other things in the system like stimulants and things that make you gain water (creatine) because its not an accurate representation. Also add in shakes and they will become shake dependent like so many others. I'm a huge advocate of diet without stimulants. You can achieve almost the same results and stimulants have to be taken at super high doses to have any effect on workouts anyway.

man do not know how i missed multi-v ha. I hear ya. I am going to have to disagree with you about creatine though and i think a shake a day after hitting the gym is not a problem.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by bjpennnn View Post
    man do not know how i missed multi-v ha. I hear ya. I am going to have to disagree with you about creatine though and i think a shake a day after hitting the gym is not a problem.
    Creatine and shakes are in no way a "problem" but kids (I've noticed) get so caught up in the hype of supplements its crazy. The only kids I know who do exceptionally well take almost no supplements. Creatine doesn't even have an effect on everybody and so many people have allergies to milk (lactose intolerant is on the end of the spectrum, I'm talking barely noticeable symptoms) that shakes may not be good at all. You never really know but it's better to start small and build otherwise they start big and have nothing to look forward to (gear at 18).

If you (or anyone else) is mentoring someone I strongly believe it is your responsibility to teach them to rely on diet and that supplements are a negligible part of the program.

I totally agree with you on what you are saying about diet. When your younger its almost about eating alllll the time just to keep the lbs on especially if you are an active athlete.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    BCAA's
    Creatine
    Glutamine
    protein powder
    energy based supps for pre work out..
    multivitamins

that pretty much all the stuff i do anyways.. except the juice

buffgator is offline king of mass
    when I was in highschool I took protein that tasted like ass compared to what we have now. I took creatine monohydrate, glutamin, multi v, and thats probably about it.

BuffBuffalo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Creatine and shakes are in no way a "problem" but kids (I've noticed) get so caught up in the hype of supplements its crazy.
    Agreed!

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Dont forget to preach, preach, preach that FOOD is still 99% of it, not the supplements and without the proper diet the supplements will do nothing.

Sauced_Up is offline Associate Member
    Just so you know...

Creatine effects everyone. Stored as phosphocreatine, which is in EVERYONES MUSCLES, it works with ATP in muscular energy production and there are endless studies on how effective and beneficial it is in any exercise routine no matter the level of the trainee. Also with protein shakes, there are numerous studies showing how much more beneficial it is in muscle building to ingest a quick digesting protein shake PWO of only 20-30g when compared to those who didnt.

Not refuting that diet should be the center key but IMO next to a multi vitamin creatine and whey shakes are a MUST for any serious bodybuilder or athlete

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    yes:
    Creatine
    Vitamins of various types
    various types of protein powder
    pre work out like NO2 Xplode or similar

NO:
    AAS
    Pre hormones like DHEA etc.
    Arginine around sleep time
    Glutamine around sleep time
    GABA around sleep time
    any thermogenics
    pot to enhance a workout
    any "test" boosters
    any "GH" boosters

but I also taught him about proper exercise, eating right, and not over training (proper rest)

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Dont forget to preach, preach, preach that FOOD is still 99% of it, not the supplements and without the proper diet the supplements will do nothing.
    Agree 100% with this !

As far as supps:
    multi
    fish oil
    protein shake post workout
    ceatine
    Id take care to explain these are all DIETARY supplements - all contain ingredients found in foods and occur in the body. Stress the importance of this at his age and also maybe introduce them one at atime. All at once and he may begin to look for more. so you could start with a multi , add post work out shake , then fish oil ,then creatine. Make the additions over some time. Just some thoughts.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    A good diet a multi vitamin and protien.Thats all.

Thread Information