Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Shol'va is offline Productive Member

Congress Outlaws Incandescent Light Bulbs Effective January 2012

Ok so about 12 months ago I saw those new squiggly energy efficient light bulbs in my nearby Home Depot store and decided to switch over to them to save some money on my electric bill. After about 7 months I had replaced 5 new bulbs that had mysteriously quit working on me. I had saved my literature on them that came with these new bulbs saying they had a 5 and some a 7 year warranty. I called their 800 hotline number telling them about them burning out on me after only 5 months of occasional usage. Their reply was that first I be extremely careful on replacing them in the socket without breaking them as they contain mercury and I would could contaminate my room if they broke. But more importantly I was told that they were supposed to last that 5 years based on continuous usage and by turning the bulbs off and on during the day after day usage it shortens their lifespan considerably. They did offer me a 50 cents discount coupon for my next purchase on them for my inconvenience. These bulbs were based on continuous usage so that means we must have them on 24-7 to last that 5 years so if that were the case then what electric savings the bulbs were to save are lost by having to keep them on all day every day otherwise they fail. Thanks Congress for another job well done. I'm stockpiling a bunch of regular light bulbs and going to sell then on ebay and craigslist when the ban goes into effect and make some mooolah. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    Ok so about 12 months ago I saw those new squiggly energy efficient light bulbs in my nearby Home Depot store and decided to switch over to them to save some money on my electric bill. After about 7 months I had replaced 5 new bulbs that had mysteriously quit working on me. I had saved my literature on them that came with these new bulbs saying they had a 5 and some a 7 year warranty. I called their 800 hotline number telling them about them burning out on me after only 5 months of occasional usage. Their reply was that first I be extremely careful on replacing them in the socket without breaking them as they contain mercury and I would could contaminate my room if they broke. But more importantly I was told that they were supposed to last that 5 years based on continuous usage and by turning the bulbs off and on during the day after day usage it shortens their lifespan considerably. They did offer me a 50 cents discount coupon for my next purchase on them for my inconvenience. These bulbs were based on continuous usage so that means we must have them on 24-7 to last that 5 years so if that were the case then what electric savings the bulbs were to save are lost by having to keep them on all day every day otherwise they fail. Thanks Congress for another job well done. I'm stockpiling a bunch of regular light bulbs and going to sell then on ebay and craigslist when the ban goes into effect and make some mooolah. lol
    I remember hearing the same thing about the mercury and wondering what happens when all these burnt out bulbs wind up in a land fill one day, and contaminate the soil and maybe eventually the water table?

Not just that but think about how many times someone accidentally breaks a bulb, like maybe a child throwing a ball in the house and knocks over the lamp. The parent isn't home to warn them about the mercury dangers in the dust now covering the furniture and floor as the kid is walking through it and trying to wipe it up before mom gets home. I would think for some of these reasons alone that these bulbs should only be allowed in certain containment safe areas and not for everyday household usage. It's insane to force us to save money on electricity but in return put our very lives in danger as a consequence of not thoroughly investigating the safety of these new bulbs and environmental impact issue they may pose.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i believe there are new incandescent bulbs that meets the law. When the law passed a few years ago the only bulbs that meet the energy standard where fluorescent bulbs. Now there are energy efficient incandescent bulbs.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Thats odd about your lightbulb. I replaced mine 3 and a half years ago and its still going strong. I turn the light out everytime i leave the room

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    Thats odd about your lightbulb. I replaced mine 3 and a half years ago and its still going strong. I turn the light out everytime i leave the room
    Yeah it is odd but now I just leave the lights on all the time. You can say the lights are on but nobody's home. They've been sayin that about me for years.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Incandesants have been banned here since January, you can stll get the halogen bulbs that are more reliable than those shiitty compact fluro's. I don't know what your laws will ban.

These ones are not banned here, available in eddison screw and bayonet.

To me it's just another insane law. I mean these bulbs were perfectly good to use for 104 years but now they endanger the dwindling resources of our environment. Just like freon R-12 was banned here in the US because someone like Al Gore had a dream about a hole developing in the ozone by a man charging up his ole ford falcon ac unit and after it was charged some freon leaked out of the ac lines as he looked up to see it ripping a big ole hole right through the ozone layer. and then it was decided that hey we have to do something or else we will lose that ozone layer and all our oxygen will be released into outer space and we will all suffocate. Lets scare the public into this theory and ban freon and make a replacement freon for 15 dollars a can instead of the 50 cents a can that is now charged for the R-12 and we can further hurt the public by hitting them in their wallets for something that is really silly but they will never know the difference anyhow and hey we all want to help the environment so it's a win win. Not to mention that we can also make it impossible for the shade tree mechanics to no longer be allowed to even own the freon nor ever be able to put in their own car without a special license for handling and reclaiming R-12. BTW has anyone heard lately how that ozone hole is doing these days now that the R-12 has been banned? Some scientists have concurred that the hole was a naturally occuring incident that ebbs and tides with the seasons, but folks like Al I created the internet Gore keep the doomsday people all riled up so they force our wonderful congress to make those changes in our laws. Ah such is life. Might as well get used to our new mercury laden bulbs. Maybe someone will get mercury poisoning from a broken bulb and get their attorneys Rubins, Case, Rubins, Cambiano, and Bryant to sue the bulb industry for billions. Anyone know if the clapper works with these new bulbs?

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Ridiculous~ makes no sense what so ever. Especially after ya drop one.

Stock Pile USA........
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey! You guys are talking right up my alley, since i'm over here and our C2 is energy efficiency. the bulbs save huge amounts of energy, of somewhere in the neighborhood of 80%. you recycle them as you would any other florescent light. you don't throw them in the trash. get a seperate canister, one for bulbs, the other for batteries, etc... when they are full, you take them down to the recycler, and for a nominal price, they will take off your hands.

Now, seriously OP. You can get these bulbs on sale for $1each. 8ea for $10 at home depot. Pay back is less than a year. Many years ago, i replaced all my lights (except for a few ornamental bulbs) with CFL. Had to buy about 50 or so to do it. total cost was under $100. My investment has been paid back many times over.

As much as I hate big government, sometimes we do need government to nudge us into action. In the long run, it reduces our energy dependence, saves us $$, and it seems this is the right thing to do.

AND it doesn't really impose on any of our personal liberties.

Those curly q bulbs impose on my decorating liberties. Different lamp shades.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Those curly q bulbs impose on my decorating liberties. Different lamp shades.
    Then we aught to...

"get us a gun and shoot all the congressmen we see....."

glad to see congress spending time on the important things.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The biggest thing i hate about these curly bulbs is the fact they have to warm up. Mine isnt terrible in my room. It usually starts slightly dim but warms up fast. Another room in my house though has a different brand that when turned on, its looks like a dim glow. After about 5 minutes it reaches full strength

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    The biggest thing i hate about these curly bulbs is the fact they have to warm up. Mine isnt terrible in my room. It usually starts slightly dim but warms up fast. Another room in my house though has a different brand that when turned on, its looks like a dim glow. After about 5 minutes it reaches full strength
    Yeah and they won't dimm unless you get the really expensive ones, and those ones don't last as long. They give off a real sterile white light, like a cool white fluro. Some of the newer ones are like warm white that cost more.
    They do come in the standard shapes now too.....Like the third one across

They do draw alot less power and less heat. I know abbout this shiit cause i'm a sparky.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by auslifta View Post
    Yeah and they won't dimm unless you get the really expensive ones, and those ones don't last as long. They give off a real sterile white light, like a cool white fluro. Some of the newer ones are like warm white that cost more.
    They do come in the standard shapes now too.....Like the third one across

They do draw alot less power and less heat. I know abbout this shiit cause i'm a sparky.
    dont u have to get up for work in a few hrs? lol

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Did you really keep the packaging to the light bulb?! lol

Hey slimmer i'm having trouble quoting you but when you get new bulbs ask for the 827 colour bulbs not the standard 840's they look similar behind a shade.

Hey slimmer i'm having trouble quoting you but when you get new bulbs ask for the 827 colour bulbs not the standard 840's they look similar behind a shade.
    Thanks. Appreciate the tip, Auslifta~

With the curly q's you cannot attach a shade which clamps directly onto the bulb.
    Author Unknown

With the curly q's you cannot attach a shade which clamps directly onto the bulb.
    Ah yeah I know what you mean, there is a way around it on certain types of fittings, Pm me a pic and I might be able to help

Ah yeah I know what you mean, there is a way around it on certain types of fittings, Pm me a pic and I might be able to help
    Thanks...

I think the shade would have to have one of those pieces of hardware where it kinda triangles down and mounts onto the lamp itself?
    Author Unknown

Thanks...

I think the shade would have to have one of those pieces of hardware where it kinda triangles down and mounts onto the lamp itself?
    Does it have a white/brass cylinder that screws over the actual lamp holder kind of like this...

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Thanks...

sounds like we have a new marketable idea! lamp shades that fit the new bulbs, million dollar idea! a universal lamp shade mount!

hear something funny? the clamps were designed, more or less, so that the shade doesn't come in contact with the bulb. incandescent is VERY hot, and emits little light. but CFL (ok... Compact Florescent Light), doesn't put out heat, and this is going to sound hokey, but no need for a clamp. you can, if you like, sit the shade right on the bulb, and it won't yellow the shade. I've done this a few times for the little lamp next to my bed at home when i switched bulbs. I'd park the shade right over the bulb, and no one was the wiser.

Just finished mate, been working nights

^^^ I have no idea....i do not recognize this piece
    Author Unknown

Congress should take the lead in using these new bulbs by replacing the existing ones in the house of congress. After all there seems to be quite a few incandescent dim wits in there. jk
    Last edited by Shol'va; 07-14-2011 at 10:32 AM.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Congress should take the lead in using these new bulbs by replacing the existing ones in the house of congress. After all there seems to be quite a few incandescent dim wits in there. jk
    you are right, there are some 'dim' wits in there alright and it starts at the top!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    sounds like we have a new marketable idea! lamp shades that fit the new bulbs, million dollar idea! a universal lamp shade mount!
    Exactly. I thought of this a while back since so many shades will have to be either changed out or re-done. Whoever does do this will make some dough....

no kidding.
    Author Unknown

Exactly. I thought of this a while back since so many shades will have to be either changed out or re-done. Whoever does do this will make some dough....

no kidding.
    looks like you figured out how to do multiple quotes in the same reply! =)

HAHA!! I have BEEN doing multiple quotes.....

the lampshade idea is interesting...
    Author Unknown

Yeah it's a shade better... Was that a groan I heard..lol

yeah, it's hokey. but it's a great stop gap measure until you figure out what you want to do.

Had you been a regular reader of the "Dear Roman" column in the daily paper, you would have seen this:

Ways to Make the Lampshade Fit with a CFL Bulb
    As a previously self-employed electrician specializing in lighting repair and building custom light fixtures for the last sixteen years, and in the construction field for a total of forty-five years, I have a few suggestions that might be of use to you with your problem.

1.The harp is easily replaced with one of a larger diameter (to provide clearance for the compact fluorescent bulb) with only a minor change in overall height (not only are replacement harps available that are taller, but also wider versions too).

2.Install the shade and then a common screw-in socket extension/adapter yourself to "securely hold" the shade in place and also get some additional height to "raise the socket" above the shade. Then install the bulb.

3.Look for a two-piece socket, typically made of "bake-lite" or a plastic-like material that secures a lampshade by horizontal support arms near the vertical center of the shade. There's probably a half-dozen different ways of mounting lampshades available on the market. Keep looking. You'll find one that works for you. There are also individuals that custom-build lampshades as a hobby/business that could help you. Many are quite inexpensive, especially the hobbyists. Check the Yellow Pages under Lighting, call a few and ask for referrals.
    All these parts mentioned above are available typically at any hardware store, lighting specialty store and at any large home improvement store. If you are unsure still of how to go about any of these fixes, ask at your local hardware store as they are generally very willing to help you in your quest.
    Denny

CFL Bulbs Change Over Time
    CFL bulbs aren't all the same size. The first generation of CFLs tended to use longer tubes for brighter bulbs, which meant that the higher the wattage, the harder it was to fit it into a standard lamp or fixture. However, many newer bulbs have solved this problem with a clever spiral design that fits the same total amount of tubing into a smaller space. These bulbs are not much bigger than a standard incandescent. You can find them at the big home centers, such as Lowe's or Home Depot, for about $10 per half dozen.

If you want to make sure the bulbs you're choosing will fit your lamp, measure the length of the harp before you go to the store. Then take a tape measure with you and measure the bulb from the tip to the base (including the ballast). You should be able to find at least one type of bulb that will fit.

By the way, if you have to discard some of your older CFLs because they don't fit any of your light fixtures, make sure to dispose of them properly. Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury and should be treated as household hazardous waste and not thrown out with the regular trash.
    Amy

Try Different Harps, Lampshades, and CFL Bulbs
    Here are two solutions to the problem of adding CFL bulbs to old lamps:

1.Buy a larger harp to which the lampshade fastens. Harps come in a variety of heights.

2.Check the size to find a CFL bulb that fits your lamp. I have these bulbs in lamps throughout my home. All my lampshades still fit.
    Barbara in CT
    DIY Fix to Make the Lampshade Fit CFL Bulbs
    I had a similar problem with my heirloom lamps I refused to give up on. The lampshades were not heirlooms. After trying to figure out how to get the new bulbs to seat properly, my daughter came up with cutting the ring that the bulb sits on. It gave it enough easement to have the bulb come into contact properly and didn't distort the shade. We used a hacksaw to saw into the metal ring. It was easy, and now it works like a charm!
    C

Use Harp Extenders
    There are harp extenders available for very little cost. They are small plastic pieces that fit into the receptacle of the harp and lengthen the height of it to allow fitting in the new bulbs. In addition, they widen the harp to allow for the bigger diameter of the bulbs. They are available at lighting stores and many hardware stores.

Thread Information