Nooomoto is offline Productive Member

My dog has glaucoma, looking for advice/input

Ok so I found out today my dog has glaucoma. He has to be on eye drops for the rest of his life. The 2 medicines combined are about $100, which isn't that bad...I'm guessing the bottles will last around 2 1/2 - 3 months at 2 drops a day each.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this and knows a place to find cheaper medicines online. I'm having difficulty because it appears these medicines are also used for people, thus requiring a prescription.

1) Ocufen (Flurbiprofen Sodium Ophthalmic Solution USP, 0.03%)
    2) Cosopt (Dorzolamide HCI/Timolol Maleate)

Like I said before it's not unaffordable, but cheaper is always better.

Thanks in advance.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Isn't the wacky cabbage a glaucoma treatment? Have the vet write a medical script for it and smoke the pup up

Try Calvetsupply and see if they carry what you need.....

Do they offer anything surgery wise or thats just not an option?

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Isn't the wacky cabbage a glaucoma treatment? Have the vet write a medical script for it and smoke the pup up

Try Calvetsupply and see if they carry what you need.....

Do they offer anything surgery wise or thats just not an option?

~Haz~
    Surgery is the last resort type of thing. The medicine is to prevent pressure spikes which cause damage to the nerve. I'll check that place. Thanks dude.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    sorry to hear.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    sad to hear...
    not sure about your area but most citys have a CARE NET for animals... its a place where people with low incomes or great incomes that live outta their means get free or reduced animal care & supplies, some places let customers work off the bills with volunteer work or let you pay with donations when you can...
    but even if your rich if you find one in your area, how great would it be to get your pups script at same cost as your pharm but helping out such a fab organization (even if they dont make money off of customers, they have you in their stats to help prove they are a worthy organization for grants ect to stay open)

best of luck to your pup

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    that sucks nooomoto. my parents dog (11 year old yorkie) has the same problems except i think his macular degeneration. it sucks when you see a healthy dog running into things that he use to not. i agree with what Haz said, try the wacky cabbage. it does come in an oil for so maybe you could make a doogy treat or something with the oil/butter to help relieve the pressure. good luck

Well he isn't blind or experiencing discomfort. He still parties all night and every day. We caught it early so he hasn't had any damage yet, this is all to prevent the pressure spikes from occuring more which is what causes the damage. I checked calvetsupply and they dont have it, I also looked in my city for some sort of program and they only offer basic care at a discount, not specific stuff like this.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet!

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    check out 1800 petmeds.. I get all of my dog meds there.. just checked it out.. they have Dorzolamide HCL.. not the exact one you have listed but sounds the same.. may be worth looking in to.. its still pricey.. but probably cheaper

What is Dorzolamide HCl?
    Dorzolamide HCl is indicated for use in the treatment of glaucoma (increased ocular pressure). Elevated intraocular pressure is a major risk factor in the development of optic nerve damage and glaucomatous visual field loss. Dorzolamide HCl requires a prescription from your veterinarian.
    For: Cats and dogs
    Benefits:
    • Reduces pressure in the eye due to glaucoma
    • Controls production of fluid, particularly within the eye
    • Reduces risk of nerve damage and loss of vision
    How it works:
    Dorzolamide HCl inhibits carbonic anhydrase II. Inhibition of carbonic anhydrase decreases aqueous humor secretion, presumably by slowing the formation of bicarbonate ions with subsequent reduction in sodium and fluid transport. The result is a reduction in intraocular pressure (IOP).

Blog Entries
    its difficult with veterinary stuff mate, you usually just have to cough up.
    the dog i had to put to sleep was on previcox for 9mths and i just couldnt get it cheaper anywhere

PitMaster is offline Associate Member
    At one point someone had suggested to me pet insurance. You could see what your vet would take for coverage and if the meds u need would be covered under the carrier.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    just about to suggest insurance, I wish I had it for my last dog. I could of paid off my house with how much he cost me

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    its difficult with veterinary stuff mate, you usually just have to cough up.
    the dog i had to put to sleep was on previcox for 9mths and i just couldnt get it cheaper anywhere
    Yeah that appears to be the case...this stuff might as well be unobtanium lol. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    yeah insurance is a must guys, id of been absolutely cleaned out over the past year with operations on the dog without it, they have loads of clauses though for certain meds, but big operations are usually covered.

PitMaster is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    yeah insurance is a must guys, id of been absolutely cleaned out over the past year with operations on the dog without it, they have loads of clauses though for certain meds, but big operations are usually covered.
    Dec, what is your preferred pet insurance? I don't have any yet, but I may as well check it out further. Dog needs damn surgery.

Thread Information