Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

RIP Al Davis - Owner and GM of the Oakland Raiders

http://www.kcra.com/r/29427128/detail.html

Overall, except for the last 10 years or so, Al Davis created an empire, the most winning team in the NFL, and in professional sports overall.

But for some reason, for the last ten years, as his health began to fade, so did the success of the team, and Al's stubborn refusal to hand the reins over to someone else (like his son partnered with John Madden) created a stain on an overall impressive record.

Mr. Davis, like most of us would have done, wanted one more taste of glory, before he left the game. In fact, I personally was there when he said this exact very same thing at a game five years ago. But he never got to taste what he so desperately craved.

My only hope is that here very soon, he will get to look down on his beloved team from above and witness the rebirth of greatness.

Just win baby!

And hopefully, with a new commitment to excellence, we will.

RIP Mr. Davis

A very loyal fan forever......

....Times Roman

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    About time. Now the Raiders might have a winning season. RIP.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I have to confess. I was one of the crew trash talking him there at the end for his stubborn refusal to hand over the reins. But in the end, when I step back and look at his impressive record, the only thing I can slight him for is the last ten years and his desperate quest for greatness one last time.

But that doesn't diminish my respect for what he has done for my beloved team overall.

I even went so far as to have the Raider Shield tattoo'd into my skin.

yes, I am anxious to move on, but I will take this moment and pay my respects.

kif
    kif is offline Member
    Were going through the same thing here with Ralph Wilson (Bills) he's 92 and can't even talk anymore. Jim Kelly has begged Ralph to sell the team to him. Ralph says he will keep the team until he dies. O yea Ralph bought the Bills for $36000 now there worth $850 million! RIP Al! A once great owner

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    the whole football world lost a great man of the game. there would not be an NFL without him. i wish i could have met the man. commitment to excellence!

freakinhuge is offline Senior Member
    RIP, definitely had a major impact on the game, and will be missed by all Raider fans.

Thread Information