doxmaster is offline Associate Member

cortisone last resort

So over the past almost year and a half now I have been struggling with tendonitus in both arms the doctor prescribed me physical therapy and anti inflammatories to help. I couldnt go to physical therapy for my arms becasue I had aquired a knee injury which they still dont know whats wrong with so I went to therapy for it and the economy is hard on my family so we couldnt afford both so I chose my knee because I had to get back to walking. I had to go back to work for money and sanity reasons ie no time for therapy . Im still injured in almost every limb of the body but now i feel it spreading now i feel the same inflammation in my forearms and wrist as i do in my bicep tendons . I have been thinking about taking the doctors offer up on cortisone shots but I've always been told there horrible and mess people up badly in the end etc and what im asking is what are the negatives and positives of taking them because ive been in pain for so long and I'd like to feel normal again and be able to work out without feeling pain everywere.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    the risks are minimal with cortisone shots if you only take a few and then stop.

HOwever, there are significant risks by taking cortisone shots in the long term. Kaiser will usually prescribe TWO cortisone shots.

I would take one cortisone shot and see what happens. Maybe a second. after that, I don't think i would.

JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Are you sure you have tendonitis?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    the risks are minimal with cortisone shots if you only take a few and then stop.

HOwever, there are significant risks by taking cortisone shots in the long term. Kaiser will usually prescribe TWO cortisone shots.

I would take one cortisone shot and see what happens. Maybe a second. after that, I don't think i would.
    i agree 1 or 2 wont cause damage.
    I have had them before for different reasons

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doxmaster View Post
    So over the past almost year and a half now I have been struggling with tendonitus in both arms the doctor prescribed me physical therapy and anti inflammatories to help. I couldnt go to physical therapy for my arms becasue I had aquired a knee injury which they still dont know whats wrong with so I went to therapy for it and the economy is hard on my family so we couldnt afford both so I chose my knee because I had to get back to walking. I had to go back to work for money and sanity reasons ie no time for therapy . Im still injured in almost every limb of the body but now i feel it spreading now i feel the same inflammation in my forearms and wrist as i do in my bicep tendons . I have been thinking about taking the doctors offer up on cortisone shots but I've always been told there horrible and mess people up badly in the end etc and what im asking is what are the negatives and positives of taking them because ive been in pain for so long and I'd like to feel normal again and be able to work out without feeling pain everywere.
    if you do take the shots you'll have to take 6-8wks out from training anything that involves that particular joint.

it sucks, i know, im riddled with fvckin joint injuries and its very very frustrating and causing me to seriously consider any weight training for the foreseeable future

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11;5793814[B
    ]if you do take the shots you'll have to take 6-8wks out from training anything that involves that particular joint.[/B]

it sucks, i know, im riddled with fvckin joint injuries and its very very frustrating and causing me to seriously consider any weight training for the foreseeable future
    Really? I was told one week max. I have had them in both shoulders. 3 in my right (max recommended) and 1 in my left. I have not had any ill effects from it and typically only have seen mild improvements but at least it is some. I'm thinking about going in for a 2nd one soon for my left shoulder since the first one did help maybe 10%.

I know what you mean about feeling like it has spread to all your body. I have found if I dont take an anti inflammatory daily after 2 or 3 days I really pay for it until I get back on regularly.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Really? I was told one week max. I have had them in both shoulders. 3 in my right (max recommended) and 1 in my left. I have not had any ill effects from it and typically only have seen mild improvements but at least it is some. I'm thinking about going in for a 2nd one soon for my left shoulder since the first one did help maybe 10%.

I know what you mean about feeling like it has spread to all your body. I have found if I dont take an anti inflammatory daily after 2 or 3 days I really pay for it until I get back on regularly.
    i trained a doctor when i was PT'ing, he said that if one has a cort shot they should lay off training that particular joint area for 6-8wks, as the shot will mask pain, and the exercise would be doing damage. ive turned down cort shots 3 times now

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    i trained a doctor when i was PT'ing, he said that if one has a cort shot they should lay off training that particular joint area for 6-8wks, as the shot will mask pain, and the exercise would be doing damage. ive turned down cort shots 3 times now
    Good to know. I guess I will take it easy for a while longer although I am still not lifting heavy by any means.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post

Yeah I here ya I was on them for 4 months and then my dad threw them out because he thought I was gonna use them to off myself because i was depressed and one day accidentaly took one on an empty stomach and was throwing up so he i swallowed to many so his sollution was to throw them out. The 4 days it took to get them back was rediculous I had pain everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    if you do take the shots you'll have to take 6-8wks out from training anything that involves that particular joint.

I havent trained in over a year in a half I've aquired inury after injury after injury over that time between nasty tendonitus thats possibly spreading what they dont know whats wrong with my knee because i went to pt for 3 months didnt work and between me not letting them cut me open 6-8 weeks of not training the upper body would be a plus for me. I have another question does the pain ever go away? I mean im young and not big I've lost at least 20 probably 30% of my mass over the time I've stopped stopped working out and I'd like to feel normal like i did 2 years ago im just trying to figure out what i have to do / take to get the pain to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by doxmaster View Post
    Yeah I here ya I was on them for 4 months and then my dad threw them out because he thought I was gonna use them to off myself because i was depressed and one day accidentaly took one on an empty stomach and was throwing up so he i swallowed to many so his sollution was to throw them out. The 4 days it took to get them back was rediculous I had pain everywhere.
    What type? I was taking DICLOFENAC for a long time with no problems. They switched me to ACETAZOLAMIDE because it's supposed to be easier on the stomach but I found just the opposite. After some research I found over 50% of the people had more problems with ACETAZOLAMIDE. I had 24/7 stomach ache, felt sick and worse on an empty stomach. With the Diclofenac I have no probems at all and can take it any time.

nubumetone or relefen its real easy on the stomach I just hadnt eaten in several hours

Well from the studies I just read they are pretty identical on efficiency and tolerance. nubumetone vs DICLOFENAC

Thread Information