JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100

Anyone had rhinoplasty?

Talked to a doctor yesterday about getting my nose done. I can't breath very well and I hate it...two birds, one stone.

I was not surprised to hear that I can't lift ANYTHING for 4 to 6 weeks. Heavy lifting is probably off the table for two months. Crap.

Anyone been through this? How long did your pain last? How much time did you take off work? How long before you started lifting again?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    expect to do it atleast 2x if not 3. dont know anyone including myself who had it fixed in one shot. Usually it's better for 6mo to a year. My 1st time was the worst. I literally looked like I had been in a car accident and my eyes were swollen almost shut. The pain? I never had much pain, discomfort yes but that's what the vicodin is for. The worst part is when they pull a 2 feet of cotton packed in your nose out a few days to a week later. Remember to take 2 vicodin before you go in for that appointment. lol

My last surgery they just removed part of the cartilage so it wouldn’t break again next time I got hit with something. Never a fist. Tree, daughters head when she was 1, plank and??? You should be able to start lifting lightly in a week and heavy in 3 without a problem. Doctors always go on the side of caution. There is nothing you are going to hurt by lifting unless you drop it on your nose. lol At worse you may get a nose bleed and then you know you are doing to much to soon but I never had a problem.

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    Depends on you and how your body reacts to surgery. Everyone is different...some have great recovery; some don't. I had very little bruising in the corners of my eye....and felt more like sinus pressure. Which...from what I've heard; should be the typical after effects of a really good doctor. My splint was off within a few days....

The only pain in the arse was sleeping sitting up for a week. I didn't even take any pain meds.

I was back to normal within 10 days.

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post
    Depends on you and how your body reacts to surgery. Everyone is different...some have great recovery; some don't. I had very little bruising in the corners of my eye....and felt more like sinus pressure. Which...from what I've heard; should be the typical after effects of a really good doctor. My splint was off within a few days....

The only pain in the arse was sleeping sitting up for a week. I didn't even take any pain meds.

No,no that´s from your colonoscopy. He´s asking about Rhinoplasty. They are easy to confuse.
    Johnny, make sure you write down "Rhinoplasty" on a piece of paper and give to the doctor, so there will be no mix-up.
    You´re welcome!

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    muwahahaha

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    bah ahaha.

Well...i guess she left herself open for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Flier View Post
    No,no that´s from your colonoscopy. He´s asking about Rhinoplasty. They are easy to confuse.
    Johnny, make sure you write down "Rhinoplasty" on a piece of paper and give to the doctor, so there will be no mix-up.
    You´re welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Dont know anyone including myself who had it fixed in one shot. The worst part is when they pull a 2 feet of cotton packed in your nose out a few days to a week later. Remember to take 2 vicodin before you go in for that appointment. lol
    I am only getting this done once, so hopefully it goes right. My nose isn't a wreck as far a damage goes, it is just big. I heard about the packing, and the doctor mentioned it specifically as being one of the more unpleasant parts of recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    You should be able to start lifting lightly in a week and heavy in 3 without a problem. Doctors always go on the side of caution. There is nothing you are going to hurt by lifting unless you drop it on your nose. lol At worse you may get a nose bleed and then you know you are doing to much to soon but I never had a problem.
    Yeah, the concern is hemorrhaging from elevated blood pressure when exercising. My wife couldn't have any real activity for six weeks after her surgery (not nose) for the same reason. And "no activity" means no sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post

I didn't know you needed to sleep sitting up, but it makes sense. My wife recently slept sitting up for six weeks...I think can take a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Flier View Post
    You´re welcome!
    Ha! I already have that covered as the doctor doesn't do anything but make things pretty. If he works on the the wrong body part I will still look better. Unless he accidently does breast implants. Hmmmmmmm, point taken - I will Sharpie "Nose" on my chest before surgery.

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    I had a septo/rhinoplasty done about 5 yrs ago. It really wasn't too bad. The only pain med the doc gave me was percocet. I was never really in any pain as I would take the pill(s) every 4-6 hrs like clock work. After the 1st week, I started taking acetaminophen during the day and the perc. at night. After a while I just took acetaminophen. I was out of work for 10 days. I still had a slight raccoon like look when I returned to work. I began working out lightly a week after that and heavy about a week or two later.
    The first day after surgery is the worse. The doctor will put tampons in your nostrils so you can imagine it will be difficult to breath. Even after he or she takes it out, breathing through your nose will be a challenge. The surgery itself took less than an hour and they doc even had to do a deep break.

^^^^ That sounds promising, especially since you also had the septoplasty. Turns out my doctor (well, my wife's doctor that I really like) only does the cosmetic surgery, not the septo. Soooo, more decisions.

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    I was originally just going to get the septoplasty but I decided to also do the rhino. He said my nose was straight but put on crooked. I am on Active Duty so this was done by a Military doc an ENT to be exact, so that saved me some coin.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    ^^^^ That sounds promising, especially since you also had the septoplasty. Turns out my doctor (well, my wife's doctor that I really like) only does the cosmetic surgery, not the septo. Soooo, more decisions.
    Been going through a similar process myself JV. Having a septorhinoplasty done this summer (not looking forward to it...nose surgery #2). Well wishes your way brother!

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Had a septoplasty last month, it was a strange experience and the pain lasted 2-3 days then it was just uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Had a septoplasty last month, it was a strange experience and the pain lasted 2-3 days then it was just uncomfortable.
    Did they make you wear a mask similar to the one in your avatar after ?

Thread Information