Its been a few months, but as some of you local guys know, I was putting together a charity event in support of the Kids With Cancer Society.

A brief history...

We have been running the One Lap of America for the last 3 years, with our program collecting donations in the form of car sponsorships. Our 3 year total (2010,2011,2012) is just about to reach $250,000 (cdn so I guess its not thart much )

Last summer I decided that donating money to the Kids With Cancer Society, or any charity for that matter, is all well and good, but what can we do to actually DIRECTLY affect the kids who live with this disease. A trial event last september and then 9 months of planning brought me/us to this last weekend....

The Big Event

Racing For a Cure 2012

I called in some favors from a few friends of mine with Exotic Supercars and started to compile a list of cars that ended up totalling over $8 Million dollars. I then talked to the Kids With Cancer Society and the parents of past and current cancer patients. With overwhelming response, we added over 3 dozen kids to our special day in which we brought them out from the childrens hospitals, to the track @ Stratotech International Raceway and proceeded to light up the little smiles with laps around the raceway.

On top of this, our generous sponsors donated items for giftbags which exceeded $400 worth of goodies for each child. Catering was also organized so the children and parents would eat for free all day from any of our great selection of vendors which included Hamburgers and hotdogs, full assortment of donuts from Tim Hortons, the mobile Froster team from Macs convenience stores dishing up frozen drinks all day, and an ice cream and popsicle selection that would make anyone jealous. This was great cause it was very hot (32C/90F)

We were actually very lucky that we got a full media endorsement which gave us a ton of tv, radio and print coverage. This resulted in over 1000 spectators.

In total, the event raised over $60,000 for the Kids With Cancer Society

Here are a few videos from the day, I will post more on track and media vids as soon as they get to me. I will save myself the embarrassment of showing the clips of the live tv broadcasts which show my ugly mug as Im not exactly in the best shape of my life. I actually find it quite funny how I look on tv, they say the camera adds 10lbs, so Im wondering just how many cameras were on me

Exotic freight train rolling into the Raceway

Opening slow Parade laps with the kids in the Cars

Even had a Stockcar present

-KP