Thread: Straight Razors

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"

Straight Razors

Any of you guys shaving with a straight razor?

I been doing it since Christmas. Got mine as a gift from my ex gf. It's a Dovo. Got a whole kit with brush, pre shaving cream, shaving soap, honing stone and leather strop.

Makes me feel bad ass even when I shave.

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Any of you guys shaving with a straight razor?

I been doing it since Christmas. Got mine as a gift from my ex gf. It's a Dovo. Got a whole kit with brush, pre shaving cream, shaving soap, honing stone and leather strop.

Makes me feel bad ass even when I shave.
    Braun series 7 is the best!!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    how often do you cut yourself, and how hard is it to sharpen?

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    how often do you cut yourself, and how hard is it to sharpen?
    I have cut myself a few times but nothing that left a scar or was overly apparent. I nicked myself behind the jaw, under the ear last time. But that's from getting overly confident with the razor to be honest. My first few tries I didn't nick myself at all. I'm just getting a bit cocky after 8 months.

Sharpening is a bit tedious when you have to do it. You have to be able to cut a hair in half by simply dropping it on the blade when you give it that final edge. It's an interesting process however.

I sharpen once a month usually. The rest of the time you simply strop the blade on the leather strop to maintain a straight edge. The blade is so fine it start getting a wave when you shave. Stropping creates warmth and friction and straightens the blade back out.

One interesting skill you have to develop is being ambidextrous. You must shave the left side of your face using your left hand to hold the blade, and the right side of your face with your right hand. It's pretty scary the first few times as you realize that your non dominant hand is not half as precise as your dominant one.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Braun series 7 is the best!!
    Hate those electric razors. They irritate my face really bad.

so it took a while to master the technique of shaving?

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357 View Post
    Hate those electric razors. They irritate my face really bad.
    The straight razors are great for manscaping as well. But lets face it there are just some areas that one person cannot get to well enough by themself so assistance is needed at times. Like the area between the sack and bum. I just can't see a braun down there. However if one does use a braun for that at least use your roommates instead so you will know your braun hasn't been on your butt before it goes on your face.

so it took a while to master the technique of shaving?
    Yes and no. The harder parts are the chin and the neck. That would be the parts you have to master. The rest of the face was pretty intuitive.

I watched a YouTube video just to see how the razor was held and then off I went.

Main thing I found is to keep the face really wet so the blade glides without too much friction along your skin. I latter one cheek at a time cause the soap tends to dry off.

Yes and no. The harder parts are the chin and the neck. That would be the parts you have to master. The rest of the face was pretty intuitive.

I watched a YouTube video just to see how the razor was held and then off I went.

Main thing I found is to keep the face really wet so the blade glides without too much friction along your skin. I latter one cheek at a time cause the soap tends to dry off.
    I've been using lotion as the lubricant prior to shaving, and it seems to work really well. of course, i wet my face with water prior to applying the lotion with my brush.

I think i may have found my next christmas wish request.

the problem with the double razors from costco is that they seem to clog easy, and when i unclog the whiskers, the blades often get bent out of original shape, and the cut is compromised. the only solution is to throw them away. I really do not want to pay a couple of bucks for a multiblade (4 or 5 blades) as it is really getting expensive, and i'm not sure it really solves the problem.

the costco double razors, the quality really seems to have tanked here recently.

I've been using lotion as the lubricant prior to shaving, and it seems to work really well. of course, i wet my face with water prior to applying the lotion with my brush.

I think i may have found my next christmas wish request.

the problem with the double razors from costco is that they seem to clog easy, and when i unclog the whiskers, the blades often get bent out of original shape, and the cut is compromised. the only solution is to throw them away. I really do not want to pay a couple of bucks for a multiblade (4 or 5 blades) as it is really getting expensive, and i'm not sure it really solves the problem.

the costco double razors, the quality really seems to have tanked here recently.
    You might wanna look into the whole lotion thing on your face. The straight razors are hollow ground steel and for that reason they say not to use normal shaving cream. I'm not sure about the hydrating lotion tho but would look into it before ruining a nice straight razor. Those straight razors last a lifetime if properly maintained. When you put them away you gotta make sure they're not wet as to not make them rusty.

You might wanna look into the whole lotion thing on your face. The straight razors are hollow ground steel and for that reason they say not to use normal shaving cream. I'm not sure about the hydrating lotion tho but would look into it before ruining a nice straight razor. Those straight razors last a lifetime if properly maintained. When you put them away you gotta make sure they're not wet as to not make them rusty.
    what do you use? water?

what do you use? water?
    No. The main brand of products for the straight razors is Pro Raso. They make a pre shaving cream (optional) as well as the shaving soap.

Basically you soak a face cloth in hot water and put it on your face for 30 seconds like you would if you were shaving normally. (Optional: Put a dab of that pre shaving cream and work it into your skin). Then you run your brush under hot water and swirl it around on the block of shaving soap until it latters up. Then you work the latter onto your face. The latter should be fairly watery for best results (personal preference).

No. The main brand of products for the straight razors is Pro Raso. They make a pre shaving cream (optional) as well as the shaving soap.

Basically you soak a face cloth in hot water and put it on your face for 30 seconds like you would if you were shaving normally. (Optional: Put a dab of that pre shaving cream and work it into your skin). Then you run your brush under hot water and swirl it around on the block of shaving soap until it latters up. Then you work the latter onto your face. The latter should be fairly watery for best results (personal preference).
    OK. I've done all that before. And then i switched to the lotion in the cup, and applied with the brush. MUCH closer shave without drying out the face too much. I'll look into this mate. thanks!

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    i dont trust myself with a straight razor.but the best shave i ever had was with one at a barber shop. its a shame really that its a dying art. nothing feels better then getting the warm cloth on your face, the lather and a smooth and flawless shave from a blade so sharp. its the little things in life

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    i recently ditched my multi blade cartridge gillettes and switched to double edged single blades. i have to be tight shaved everyday for work and the cartridges were leaving me with awful razor rash. read up on the DE's on a forum and switched, tighter shave and NO discomfort whatsoever.

just shows what a load of advertising BS the so called 'smoother shave' cartridges are!!! Gillette had cost me 30 notes a month for cartridges, DE blades cost me 1.50 a month! takes a bit of skill and patience not to cut yourself but you soon find out what not to do, a bit like riding motorbikes lol

for anyone suffering burn/lumps/rash from their multi blades, i cant recommend these enough!! witch hazel gel is another very good product for burn, much better than the heavily advertised balms and creams.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	razor.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	126081

Thread Information